The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   ENT 4x19 "In a Mirror Darkly, Part 2" (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=721)

Celeste 04-30-2005 02:19 PM

ENT 4x19 "In a Mirror Darkly, Part 2"

Okay. 1, I didn't get it. 2, what the hell kind of ending is that? That made no sense whatsoever and was so dumb. I think this was the first time ever in Trek that I stared at the screen and went, "Huh?" at the end.

evay 04-30-2005 02:29 PM

Re: ENT 4x19 "In a Mirror Darkly, Part 2"

uh, did you not watch "Zero Hour"? ;)

Celeste 04-30-2005 04:11 PM

Ahh, yeah. But at least the first part of Zero Hour was *good* :P

ijdgaf 05-01-2005 12:29 AM

Thar be spoilers here!
The episode was great right up to the end.

Then, I sort of wonder if the writers had been following MEG's reviews a little too closely. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, except I have a hard time picturing the mirror universe as anything but misogynistic. Sorry, I just don't buy the Hoshi revolution. At all.

Before that was good though. Except for something I'm noticing more and more which is irritating me more than I'd like it to.

References are great. References are my god. I sacrifice TOS haters to this reference altar I keep behind a bookcase in my basement.

But it seems to me, all these references we've had lately (with a few exceptions) have been references just for the sake of references. And even that wouldn't necessarily irritate me. Except for the way they're handled.

You can almost predict to the tee while watching an episode this season when a reference is about to strike -- no matter how spoiler savvy you are. You can tell because the plot is going along smoothly in one direction and then -- OUT OF NOWHERE -- some irrelevent-to-the-main story complication pops up and our heroes go out and search for the episode's reference.

In last night's episode, we're crusing right along the main plot. Escape pods from the NX-01, what to do with the Defiant, etc. -- and then OUT OF NOWHERE -- we get the Gorn sabateur.

Yes, the Gorn was cool. But that segment of the episode had absolutely nothing to do with the rest of it.

The entire epsiode "The Aenar" was like this. The alliance is forming along nicely and then (FROM OUT OF NOWHERE), we go to Andoria and have an adventure in fanwank.

Again, yes -- Andoria was cool. But the writers this season seem to lack something which I wish wasn't bugging me but it is. Context. They seem to have no problem taking a 180 degree turn from the plot to fit in a reference. And I love references. But I also love episodes with cohesion, which I'm finding lacking more often than I'd like.

(ahem)

Rant over.

Opium 05-01-2005 01:12 PM

Re: ENT 4x19 "In a Mirror Darkly, Part 2"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeste
Okay. 1, I didn't get it. 2, what the hell kind of ending is that? That made no sense whatsoever and was so dumb. I think this was the first time ever in Trek that I stared at the screen and went, "Huh?" at the end.

You sound like a friend of mine who I had over. We had the TV on, and I was like, "hey, want to watch the new Trek?" and she was like, "Trek is fun" and so we watched it. LF's (her screenname initials) reaction:

"Oh, cool new opening credits, I like their...um, those clips don't really fit with...right...well, it kinda better than before...maybe"

"That's bad CGI" (to which I responded that they should have had that cute fluffy dog from TOS with that fake horn on its head, and she agreed)

"So in the MU, everyone is automatically s**ty, evil, mean, and stupid? And logic is illogical?"

"What the...this has nothing to do with the regular universe characters! That's what made the MU eps so great!"

Mind you, LF still laughed and enjoyed it, but still.

I have to say, I agree with the above statements, and I found the episode fun to watch, but still, I have to add, why do they lack clothing material to make proper women's uniforms? :?

The whole episode is missing a context...I mean, maybe they will bring all together in the end or something. But if they were going to have an alien, and they are doing a TOS-era ep, they could have at least used a TOS-era alien, such as a cute little dog sabotaging the ship to get the rottwieler's attention or something. *sigh* It was entertaing, certianly, but lacked what it needed to fit in with the rest of season.

It wasn't really bad or anything, but it certianly wasn't within the "Top 100 Trek Eps From The Last 10 Years" either...

Zeke 05-04-2005 07:15 PM

The first part was great -- the second was an ungodly mess. But that's what we expect from our Trek multi-parters by now, isn't it?

It would be so totally sweet if Mayweather/Hoshi were even slightly a reference to my S3 fivers... but I'm not fool enough to think that. It's not impossible (Coto reads MEG's reviews, apparently), but very unlikely.

mudshark 05-05-2005 05:03 AM

^ You know, I wouldn't be surprised to find that Mike Sussman had read a few of those. He does pop up in the ENT Forum at TBBS from time to time.

ijdgaf 05-05-2005 06:37 AM

See Zeke? I told you they handed you some *perfect* fiving material.

Zeke 05-05-2005 11:46 PM

True, IJD, true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudshark
^ You know, I wouldn't be surprised to find that Mike Sussman had read a few of those. He does pop up in the ENT Forum at TBBS from time to time.

Really? Hmm. Maybe I should ask if he reads them. I'm working on "Azati Prime" now, so when I publish that, it might be a good time.