The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Best DS9 series? (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1149)

Chancellor Valium 08-16-2006 06:52 PM

Best DS9 series?

Which DS9 series do you think was best?

Personally, I'm torn between 6 and 7. On balance, I'd go for 6, since it doesn't end the series, Jadzia is in it - and..."In the Pale Moonlight" and "Far Beyond the Stars" IN THE SAME SERIES!

evay 08-17-2006 02:40 AM

I assume you mean "season"? In the U.S., "series" refers to a whole show like TNG or VOY, and "season" is the set of 20-odd episodes which runs from September to June or so. There was only one DS9 series, which ran seven seasons; there are currently two series of Battlestar Galactica and there were five Trek series (six if you count TAS).

Zeke 08-17-2006 05:05 AM

I'll put up with it as long as he doesn't call them "skeins."

Saxamaphone 08-17-2006 05:12 AM

I'm gonna go with 6 - although 7 had some pretty amazing stuff, 6 still has fantastic material - and there's no Ezri.

AntonyF 08-17-2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evay (Post 69619)
I assume you mean "season"? In the U.S., "series" refers to a whole show like TNG or VOY

No, he means series. In the UK (and possibly elsehwere) a series is each year of the show, what you call a season. So DS9 had seven series. As he talks about "6 and 7", Jadzia being in it and "In the Pale Moonlight" and "Far Beyond the Stars" I would say it's patently obvious what he means even if the terminology is different between countries.

My favorite "series" was six too I think, much for the same reasons. It also had the whole arc at the beginning of the season which was some of DS9's best. Season seven had some great stuff too... but six wins.

Derek 08-17-2006 12:06 PM

I'm honestly not sure what my favorite is, but I think it's lower than 6 or 7. Like 2, 3, or 4.

Burt 08-17-2006 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evay (Post 69619)
I assume you mean "season"? In the U.S., "series" refers to a whole show like TNG or VOY, and "season" is the set of 20-odd episodes which runs from September to June or so. There was only one DS9 series, which ran seven seasons; there are currently two series of Battlestar Galactica and there were five Trek series (six if you count TAS).

Welcome to 'The differences between countries' (tm)
Over here a 'TV show' has 'Series'. We don't really have Seasons. I think it's because, here we don't really have things like 'Fall line ups' and what not. Shows can run anytime. and tend not to be 20 odd episodes. Usually much less - 6/10 epiosdes. (I.e. Bottom/Doctor Who/Little Briton/Father Ted)

evay 08-17-2006 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt
We don't really have Seasons. I think it's because, here we don't really have things like 'Fall line ups' and what not. Shows can run anytime. and tend not to be 20 odd episodes. Usually much less - 6/10 epiosdes.

that's the first time I've seen an explanation of that which made sense!

Gatac 08-17-2006 08:18 PM

Wait, the system is supposed to make sense?

Gatac

Hejira 08-18-2006 05:02 AM

I reckon DS9 is the best DS9 series, m'self.

*re-reads sentence*

I think my ancestors were Swiss.

Chancellor Valium 08-22-2006 12:40 PM

The only British TV show that I know of which *had* seasons was Doctor Who. And that's because it operated, IIRC, on a 26x25min episode formula for most of it's life until 1989, which broke down to roughly five four-part stories and a single six-parter, or six four-parters and a two-parter.