The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BAW meets SSB! (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1438)

Nate the Great 01-23-2008 12:23 PM

I believe it's "smitten."

Chancellor Valium 01-23-2008 02:46 PM

I believe 'smitten' should only be used in a romantic sense. 'Smited' is more biblical. :p

Nate the Great 01-23-2008 05:45 PM

Well, whatever you think....

Smite(past participle smitten)=to hit, to strike down with godly force, to injure with divine power

By the by, those last two definitions seem as close to the same thing as makes no odds, don't they?

NAHTMMM 01-26-2008 06:23 PM

Well, I could injure you with the divine power of my brain without striking you, couldn't I? :)

mudshark 01-26-2008 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 75915)
Well, whatever you think....

Smite(past participle smitten)=to hit, to strike down with godly force, to injure with divine power

By the by, those last two definitions seem as close to the same thing as makes no odds, don't they?

Only to the imprecise.

Chancellor Valium 01-27-2008 02:43 PM

Besides, 'smitten' is usually used in the passive or optative sense.

PointyHairedJedi 01-27-2008 08:54 PM

If there's a next one, I'm going to put you all in hotpants.

Nate the Great 01-28-2008 01:16 AM

We really need a shorthand way of saying "blink blink, that's random." I'd use that every day on this forum. BBTR?

Tate 01-28-2008 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 75908)
I'm a little disappointed Zeke hasn't smoted (smiten? smitted? smoten?) me

I believe "smote" might work, although it would sound strange. Smitten would sound better but, as has been pointed out, is usually used in a different context.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 75933)
We really need a shorthand way of saying "blink blink, that's random." I'd use that every day on this forum. BBTR?

How about: " . . . " That's what I would imagine manga or video game characters saying (or not saying) in that sort of situation.

By the way, I really enjoyed reading your BAW SSB, PHJ. (Hmm... that's a lot of three-letter acronyms). And thanks for including me and giving me a line in this one. I feel so special. I'm glad that I get to be a communications officer and join the ranks of such notables as Hoshi Sato and Uhura and...wait a minute. You're not calling me a girly man, are you?

whoiam 01-28-2008 09:31 AM

Only just got around to reading this one myself... *sniffs* no lines at all... what a gyp... I didn't even get to wield the iodine-soaked lemon...

Chancellor Valium 01-28-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 75932)
If there's a next one, I'm going to put you all in hotpants.

Great knees of Simeon Stylites, no!

mudshark 01-28-2008 05:17 PM

Elder or Younger?

(Having checked them to be sure I remembered who they were, I'm reminded of a story in which someone is attempting to carry on a conversation with a hermit who persists in not being atop the same pillar you'd seen him on a moment ago. Which story was that? It was sort of a quest-type thingy, as I recall.)

Chancellor Valium 01-28-2008 05:28 PM

The first. Not sure about the story.

PointyHairedJedi 01-28-2008 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudshark
(Having checked them to be sure I remembered who they were, I'm reminded of a story in which someone is attempting to carry on a conversation with a hermit who persists in not being atop the same pillar you'd seen him on a moment ago. Which story was that? It was sort of a quest-type thingy, as I recall.)

Frustratingly, that rings a bell. I can't even begin to remember where it's from though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tate
You're not calling me a girly man, are you?

Well hey, if that's what you choose to take away from it... :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoiam
Only just got around to reading this one myself... *sniffs* no lines at all... what a gyp... I didn't even get to wield the iodine-soaked lemon...

It was pretty difficult trying to shoehorn everyone in. At least you had a job - poor Sa'ar didn't even have that (unless you count making coffee and looking after the box of gold nanoparticles). And of course, you can always write your own. ;)

whoiam 01-29-2008 12:14 AM

Well, to be fair, apart from my lack of speaking role, it *was* hilarious.

mudshark 01-29-2008 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 75939)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudshark (Post 75937)

Frustratingly, that rings a bell. I can't even begin to remember where it's from though.

Would the inclusion of a photocopy machine in a nearby cave make a difference?

NAHTMMM 01-29-2008 05:06 PM

I think there was also a rather frustrating old lady nearby.

(I had to rack my brains for a few seconds too. It just sounds so much like something that would pop up in a fiver, particularly a videogame fiver, doesn't it?)

PointyHairedJedi 01-31-2008 10:59 PM

Sounds like... Douglas Adams? Not sure though.

mudshark 02-01-2008 04:51 AM

It does, very much. I'm just having trouble figuring out where it would fit, unless it was in that collection of bits called Young Zaphod Plays It Safe, which I've only read once.

Nate the Great 02-01-2008 06:55 AM

Not sure if it's Young Zaphod, but it is Douglas Adams. In fact, I do believe Arthur met him in one of the main books. Either Fish or Harmless.