The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fiver By Committee (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Announcement (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1375)

ijdgaf 04-19-2007 03:16 AM

I assume a similar format to the last FBC will be used, where Zeke will post a transcript of the scene to jog everyone's memories and to have something to work off. I never popped in my copy of "The Matrix" while contributing -- the transcript was more than enough.

Also: Blockbuster has yet to send me any superfluous crap in the mail. Just fyi.

AKAArzosah 04-19-2007 03:43 AM

There's a little box to tick on the application form if you don't want stuff, usually.

Gatac 04-19-2007 03:52 PM

A "DVD Rental via Mail" membership is, in my humble opinion, a great investment. And unlike many other drugs, it's legal. :)

Gatac

Nate the Great 04-20-2007 10:41 PM

How do I not have a movie rental membership yet? Well, putting aside the spam/junk mail/telemarketing issue (we really need an all-encompasing term for this, "mass marketing?"), I suppose that it's too big of a temptation. I'd rather save up for cable and TiVo.

PointyHairedJedi 04-22-2007 10:52 AM

Can't you rent it from a library then? Or do US libraries not do that?

catalina_marina 04-22-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatac (Post 73210)
A "DVD Rental via Mail" membership is, in my humble opinion, a great investment. And unlike many other drugs, it's legal. :)

Gatac

In Germany maybe.

The drugs, that is. ;)

I'm in favour of Independance Day. Mostly because I haven't seen most of the other movies suggested.

Also, hi.

Zeke 04-22-2007 01:57 PM

It's Cat! I thought she was a goner.

mudshark 04-22-2007 03:15 PM

*waves to cat* http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...ave20Hello.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 73232)
Can't you rent it from a library then? Or do US libraries not do that?

They do; in many library systems, it's free. Nate's just being... Nate.

Zeke 04-22-2007 03:45 PM

It comes nateurally to him.

Seriously though, I'm torn here. On the one hand, Independence Day would be an excellent choice. On the other hand, I gotta say I sympathize with Nate's situation. If he didn't get to participate last time -- all four years of last time -- it's perfectly fair for him to bring that up. So let's put Independence Day to one side for now. It may well be what I go with, but for now let's discuss the alternatives.

Gatac 04-22-2007 04:11 PM

Star Wars? By which I mean, A New Hope, i.e. the original one.

I'd bet even Nate has seen that one.

Gatac

Nate the Great 04-22-2007 10:10 PM

I do rent movies at the library, VHS and DVD, too many of them in fact, but you can only find kiddie movies and classics that have artistic and historical value there, i.e. the Astaire/Rogers musicals that I love so much.

We haven't fived A New Hope yet?

Thanks for the sympathy. I admit that part of my reaction is sheer whininess, but the other part is a strong desire to participate.

Nate the Great 04-22-2007 10:11 PM

Oh, and Nateness is now an accepted adjective around here? Might have to add that to the glossary. :)

PointyHairedJedi 04-22-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 73237)

She's quantum now, so you can't be sure either way.

ijdgaf 04-23-2007 02:00 AM

We've already suggested a number of good alternatives. Why not just make a poll with the viable ones and see which one the group prefers the most?

Zeke 04-23-2007 02:11 AM

Yeah, I'll do that when I have a minute.

Nate the Great 04-23-2007 04:28 AM

So we'll see you next month? :)

Sorry, it had to be done.

Tate 04-23-2007 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability (Post 73255)
I do rent movies at the library, VHS and DVD, too many of them in fact, but you can only find kiddie movies and classics that have artistic and historical value there, i.e. the Astaire/Rogers musicals that I love so much.

We haven't fived A New Hope yet?

My library used to be the same way, but it added a lot of movies to its collection when it moved to a new building a few months ago. Still it doesn't have as big a collection as a video store, so it would be difficult to get a movie like Independence Day.

Oh, and there is a fiver for <a href="http://www.fiveminute.net/starwars/starwars.html">A New Hope</a> . Episodes One and Two haven't been fived yet, though. I wouldn't mind fiving one of them, if anyone else is interested. Maybe they're not as good as the other Star Wars movies, but that just means there's more to make fun of, meaning that they're better targets for fiving. Right?

Nate the Great 04-23-2007 05:58 AM

Fiving Episodes One and Two? I've wondered why those haven't been done yet.

Who's up for umpteen "The Saga Begins" references?

ijdgaf 04-23-2007 06:32 AM

As I recall, I gots II and Zeke gots I.

One of many things that has yet to materialize due to mutual procrastination.

I mean.. uh.. marketing. Yeah. Waiting for the right time to release new material into an oversaturated marketplace.

Nate the Great 04-23-2007 08:57 AM

How long have you "gots"en it?

I suppose we should turn the discussion in another direction then.