The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I finally got Linux (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1429)

PointyHairedJedi 12-06-2007 11:22 AM

Oh, it's a little more complex than that. You see, Lewis doesn't have a native badger population. They all got eaten by the mink.

mudshark 12-07-2007 05:16 AM

Which are not native, I'm thinking, but which are quite aggressive. That does complicate matters.

Edit:

Unless you happen to possess the correct adapter, is that it?

PointyHairedJedi 12-07-2007 08:06 PM

I've never yet had the opportunity to plug a mink into a mains socket, so I honestly wouldn't know. They aren't entirely bad news - they keep down the rabbit population through most of the island - but they're extremely bad for the birds, both wild and domesticated.

mudshark 12-08-2007 05:06 PM

I recall a news item from a few years back: the inhabitants of a mink farm -- don't recall how many, exactly, but more than a couple hundred of them -- escaped into the wild, and the locals were... a bit distressed* for a few days until most of them could be rounded up.

Edit: The incident of which I was thinking was in southern England, iirc, but here's an item about a more recent (and larger) incident in Germany.

* passing hexahedral units of masonry

PointyHairedJedi 12-08-2007 06:57 PM

They are extraordinarily vicious little sods, at least in the wild. I know if I were out driving (assuming I could drive) and saw one in the road, I'd probably aim for it.

Sa'ar Chasm 12-09-2007 12:17 AM

I feel the same way about chickens, roosters especially. Evil, bloody-minded little buggers, they are.

mudshark 12-09-2007 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 75536)
They are extraordinarily vicious little sods, at least in the wild.

Yeah. Hence the business with bricks.
Quote:

I know if I were out driving (assuming I could drive)...
You could, you know.

PointyHairedJedi 12-10-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm (Post 75539)
I feel the same way about chickens, roosters especially. Evil, bloody-minded little buggers, they are.

My main complaint against chickens is that they poop so very much and that I'm the one that has to muck them out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudshark (Post 75544)
You could, you know.

I could learn, if I wanted to, but I don't, so there you go. I'm sure the mink will be relieved to know it.

catalina_marina 12-10-2007 07:42 PM

Oh driving's easy, really. I'm sure you could do it. All you have to do is try. Sure, getting away might be a bit tricky. You have to do it carefully, or the car might decide not to want to leave. But you can just try again. Once you have the hang of that, it's easy.

Now driving safely might be a bit harder.

mudshark 12-11-2007 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 75548)
My main complaint against chickens is that they poop so very much and that I'm the one that has to muck them out.

They're also bloody stupid birds.

Quote:

I could learn, if I wanted to, but I don't, so there you go. I'm sure the mink will be relieved to know it.
It's nice not to have to drive, considering the brand of idiot they'll issue a license to go on the public roads, but still a handy skill to have, now and then. Given the right equipment and a general lack of idiots in the vicinity, it can be quite a lot of fun.

And sod the minks; they've got it coming.

Chancellor Valium 12-11-2007 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudshark (Post 75532)
* passing hexahedral units of masonry

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Woolley
The fact that you needed to know was not known at the time that the now known need to know was known, therefore those that needed to advise and inform the Home Secretary perhaps felt the information he needed as to whether to inform the highest authority of the known information was not yet known and therefore there was no authority for the authority to be informed because the need to know was not, at that time, known or needed.

...You wouldn't happen to work for a civil service, would you?

catalina_marina 12-11-2007 01:41 PM

Driving fun? Hm, not that I know of. Handy, sure, and I don't dislike it, but fun?

PointyHairedJedi 12-11-2007 07:18 PM

I think my reluctance is part terror, part reluctance (some of the young drivers around here are literally accidents waiting to happen), and part sheer bloody mindedness. It's the harder thing to do in this day and age, to not drive, so for once I'm going to try the harder thing.

And yes, it's true. Chickens are tasty idiots.

mudshark 12-11-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium (Post 75555)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Woolley
The fact that you needed to know was not known at the time that the now known need to know was known, therefore those that needed to advise and inform the Home Secretary perhaps felt the information he needed as to whether to inform the highest authority of the known information was not yet known and therefore there was no authority for the authority to be informed because the need to know was not, at that time, known or needed.

...You wouldn't happen to work for a civil service, would you?

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...lies/hypno.gif

Good heavens, is he related to Rummy? It's as if it came from the same mind that brought us:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald Rumsfeld
Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know.

Chancellor Valium 12-12-2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudshark (Post 75564)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumsfeld
Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know.

It's a known known that I love that speechification. :p

mudshark 12-12-2007 04:17 PM

I may have known at one time that I knew that, but it was a known that had become unknown by the time I posted it. Then again, I should probably have known.

Chancellor Valium 12-12-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudshark (Post 75571)
I may have known at one time that I knew that, but it was a known that had become unknown by the time I posted it. Then again, I should probably have known.

This was unknown until the time that it was made known, and so in being an unknown unknown was in fact a known that was unknown by those that should have known?

mudshark 12-12-2007 04:32 PM

Well, there are knowns and there are unknowns, and then there are the things you didn't actually know, yet somehow intuitively "know" are true. Now, I don't know for sure, but I think it possible that, though it might have been an unknown unknown (or was it an unknown known? Make a note to check on that,) I could quite well have "known" something without actually knowing that I had known about it, beforehand.

You know? :)

Chancellor Valium 12-12-2007 04:51 PM

So what was previously said to be an unknown unknown may in fact have been known at the time it was thought to have been unknown and therefore have either been an unknown known or a known unknown - know what I mean?

mudshark 12-12-2007 04:59 PM

You never know...