The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fiver By Committee (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Block 15 - Search and destroy (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=144)

Zeke 09-29-2003 07:09 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Called out of the training problem by Tank, Morpheus and Neo come to the bridge to find everyone preparing for the arrival of a Sentinel. Not to be confused with the X-Men villains, Sentinels are nasty squid-like machines that hunt down Resistance ships and destroy them. The [i:post_uid0]Nebuchadnezzar[/i:post_uid0] powers down and hides, arming an EMP in case they're detected. It's a close call, but while the Sentinel comes close enough to be seen out the window, it passes them by.

One scene; synopsis here. This one should be pretty simple, thank heaven.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM 09-29-2003 07:38 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Sentinel ship: Yoo-hoo, any Resistance ships in there?
[i:post_uid0]Nebuchadnezzar[/i:post_uid0]: If I say yes, are you going to respond by violently ripping me to shreds?
Sentinel: Yep.
[i:post_uid0]Nebuchadnezzar[/i:post_uid0]: Then nope, nobody here.
Sentinel: Okie-dokie.[/color:post_uid0]

NeoMatrix 09-29-2003 08:03 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Neo: What is that smell?
Trinity: Oh, its just the sewers
Neo: And what is that ugly thing heading our way?
Morpheus: Sewer Rats. Really Big Sewer Rats.
------------------------------------------------
Sentinel Ship 1: This job sucks, all we do is run around in the sewers destroying ships.
Sentinel Ship 2: Well, I heard all the fun is at Zion, but we would have to get some buddies and dig.
Sentinel Ship 1: Sounds like fun....Hey, did you hear a pin drop?
Sentinel Ship 2: Yeah, it came from over here.
Morpheus: Tank, good job on the fake pin drop decoy.
Tank: I think next time I will send them the Woman in the Red Dress program.
------------------------------------------------[/color:post_uid0]

Standback 09-29-2003 08:54 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Tank:[/b:post_uid0] Everybody quiet - the Sentinals are looking for us!
[b:post_uid0]Sentinal:[/b:post_uid0] Knock, knock...
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Who's ther--
[b:post_uid0]Trinity:[/b:post_uid0] Oh, shut [i:post_uid0]up[/i:post_uid0].

----------------

[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] There are Sentinels after us. Ready the EMP device.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] "EMP device"? What's that?
[b:post_uid0]Trinity:[/b:post_uid0] An electromagnetic pulse. It--
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Oh, never mind, then. I thought the P stood for "plot."

----------------

[b:post_uid0]Tank:[/b:post_uid0] The Sentinels are coming after us... if they get too close, we'll have to fry them with our EM pulse.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Oooo! Can I press the button? Can I? Huh?
[b:post_uid0]Tank:[/b:post_uid0] No.
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Awwww...[/color:post_uid0]

Standback 09-29-2003 09:47 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Or, my very first attempt at referencing:

[b:post_uid0]Sentinal:[/b:post_uid0] Are you a rebel ship?
[b:post_uid0][i:post_uid0]Nebuchadnezzar:[/i:post_uid0][/b:post_uid0] No, of course not.
[b:post_uid0]Sentinal:[/b:post_uid0] How about John Anderton?

Of course, it's a fairly lousy attempt. But hey, I referenced![/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM 09-29-2003 09:58 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Standback"]Or, my very first attempt at referencing:

[b:post_uid0][i:post_uid0]Nebuchadnezzar:[/i:post_uid0][/b:post_uid0] No, of course not.
[b:post_uid0]Sentinal:[/b:post_uid0] How about John Anderton?

Of course, it's a fairly lousy attempt. But hey, I referenced![/quote:post_uid0]
Yep, that you did. ;)

You could even build on it like so...

[b:post_uid0]Sentinal:[/b:post_uid0] How about John Anderson?
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Nope.
[b:post_uid0]Sentinel:[/b:post_uid0] Good, because my boss would be mad if I blew up the ship containing the traitor who's going to doom the entire rebel organization to annihilation.
[b:post_uid0]Morpheus:[/b:post_uid0] Now what did it mean by that, I wonder?
[b:post_uid0]Cypher:[/b:post_uid0] Er, heh heh, I'm sure it meant nothing.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm 09-30-2003 01:29 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Morpheus: Rig for silent running.
Neo How do we do that?
Morpheus: Cotton batting on the exhaust pipe.[/color:post_uid0]

taya17 09-30-2003 01:33 AM

[quote:post_uid0="Standback"][color=#000000:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Tank:[/b:post_uid0] Everybody quiet - the Sentinals are looking for us!
[b:post_uid0]Sentinal:[/b:post_uid0] Knock, knock...
[b:post_uid0]Neo:[/b:post_uid0] Who's ther--
[b:post_uid0]Trinity:[/b:post_uid0] Oh, shut [i:post_uid0]up[/i:post_uid0].[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I like this one the best so far. I'll post something when I think of it :)[/color:post_uid0]

Kira 09-30-2003 04:15 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]I'm inclined to agree. This is snappy, funny, and fits perfectly with our earlier running gag about Neo and "Knock, Knock" jokes. Any chance we could call this one in record time?[/color:post_uid0]

Standback 09-30-2003 05:34 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Certainly [i:post_uid0]I'm[/i:post_uid0] not going to disagree. :D And we do have some lost time to make up for. But don't you think we should allow, like, at least a 24-hour grace period or something?[/color:post_uid0]

NeoMatrix 09-30-2003 07:09 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Very Well, I guess I will go with the knock knock joke.

I see there is no love for the Sewer Rats[/color:post_uid0]

Derek 09-30-2003 11:52 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Sure, let's call it. I'm in favor.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM 09-30-2003 12:15 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]While I really like all of the entries thus far, I agree that the "knock-knock" one is the best. But let's give it a bit of time, in case someone else (like PHJ, for example) wants to chime in.[/color:post_uid0]

Kira 09-30-2003 01:30 PM

[quote:post_uid0="Standback"][color=#000000:post_uid0]But don't you think we should allow, like, at least a 24-hour grace period or something?[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Oh, of course. But that will still be in record time. :D[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke 09-30-2003 04:45 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well, this certainly works for me. I'll give it till 4:30 (that's 24 hours) and unless anyone objects, we'll move on then.[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina 09-30-2003 05:46 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Fine with me. Maybe we'll get there before [i:post_uid0]Revolutions[/i:post_uid0] after all.[/color:post_uid0]

Standback 09-30-2003 07:33 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Yeah, right. Â :p

[quote:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Of course, it's a fairly lousy attempt. But hey, I referenced! [/quote:post_uid0]

Yep, that you did.

You could even build on it like so...

Sentinal: Are you a rebel ship?
Nebuchadnezzar: No, of course not.
Sentinal: How about John Anderson?
Neo: Nope.[/quote:post_uid0]

Ach. It was a [i:post_uid0]really[/i:post_uid0] lousy attempt, if you thought I just misspelled "Mr. Anderson." The reference was to Anderton from [i:post_uid0]Minority Report[/i:post_uid0], in the scene where the Spyders search the building for his body heat.

Next time I reference, I will devote greater attention to making it vaguely recognizable. By the third or fourth try, I may be able to add in an element of actual humor as well. ;)

[quote:post_uid0]Sentinel: Good, because my boss would be mad if I blew up the ship containing the traitor who's going to doom the entire rebel organization to annihilation.
Morpheus: Now what did it mean by that, I wonder?
Cypher: Er, heh heh, I'm sure it meant nothing.[/quote:post_uid0]

This could actually be polished quite nicely:

[b:post_uid0]Sentinal:[/b:post_uid0] Excuse me, sirs, but if you're a rebel ship, I'm going to have to ask you to step out of the vehicle.
[b:post_uid0][i:post_uid0]Nebuchadnezzar:[/i:post_uid0][/b:post_uid0] Umm... Nope. Not us. No rebels here. Nu-uh.
[b:post_uid0]Sentinal:[/b:post_uid0] Riiiiiiiiight. I'm afraid I'm going to have to detonate your vehicle, unless of course you're carrying a traitor who's going to doom the entire rebel organization to annihilation.
[b:post_uid0]Cypher:[/b:post_uid0] Ummmm...

Just a thought. :)[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina 09-30-2003 07:40 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]But then we'd miss the Cypher/nothing joke again.[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi 09-30-2003 08:05 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hmm...[i:post_uid0]Jurassic Park[/i:post_uid0], anyone?

Dozer: Nobody move! They can't see you if you don't move.
Neo: Phew - they're leaving. Not terribly thorough, are they?
Morpheus: They probably got distracted by that guy with the flare.

It needs some refinement, really.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM 09-30-2003 08:26 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well, actually, I think that the Cypher=nothing joke is best saved for I think it's the next scene. Where Neo surprises Cypher. "What are you up to?" "Oh, nothing."[/color:post_uid0]