The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Happy Pi Day! (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1600)

evay 03-14-2012 04:07 PM

Happy Pi Day!

It's only March, so here in the northern hemisphere nothing's really ripe yet despite the ridiculously lovely weather. Shall we break out the peaches we jarred last summer, or pick up a can of pumpkin? Or we could try the tempting single serving pie in a jar and make a whole range of flavors. With Cosine frosting. mmmmm cosine tastes just like mint. Did you know that cosine is like holly, and you need sine and cosine to cross-pollinate or you won't get any berries? We had this whole patch in my backyard growing up.... wait, sorry, I'm getting off on a tangent. I tend to do that; it's an asymptote of getting older. You lose some functions, and you end up talking about something imaginary and you sound completely irrational.

Sa'ar Chasm 03-15-2012 04:52 AM

Something something something integral.

What? It's late.

NeoMatrix 05-09-2012 06:10 AM

Hey, what's up?

NAHTMMM 05-14-2012 02:56 PM

Hi there, Neo! :) Good to see you around.

evay 12-13-2012 03:03 AM

check out today's shirt on 6DollarShirts.com. It actually took me a minute to get it.

evay 03-14-2013 10:44 AM

And here we are again! I'm thinking Key Lime today. Who's in?

Nate the Great 03-14-2013 12:50 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BwKZEp2K_0

Mathematical Pi, the song!

Zeke 03-15-2013 02:44 AM

A year later, I'm still trying to figure out how you started a new thread in News. But happy Pi Day!

Sa'ar Chasm 03-15-2013 02:00 PM

For me, Pi Day was Nye Day. I went to see Bill Nye speak, and annoyed the crap out of him.

Fun fact: When you say "I'm going to be the next Bill Nye" to the man himself, it doesn't go over quite as well as you might think.

evay 03-15-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 79649)
A year later, I'm still trying to figure out how you started a new thread in News. But happy Pi Day!

How? I clicked on the big "New Thread" button. My permissions say "You may post new threads." Is there some reason I shouldn't be able to? (or are you saying "No, you rude bint, I meant you should have started it in some other forum!" in which case, oops, please move it.)

http://www.triphammered.com/misc/youmay.jpg

Zeke 03-19-2013 04:43 PM

No no, I was exaggerating. I know exactly why it was possible: last time we changed forum software, I must've forgotten to set special permissions for this board. Hell, for all I know, everybody can see the secret staff board too.

(Just kidding. Oh, not kidding that there IS a secret staff board; every forum has one. Kidding that I don't know if you can see it. I can check that just by logging out.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by evay (Post 79655)
(or are you saying "No, you rude bint, I meant you should have started it in some other forum!" in which case, oops, please move it.)

I'm a little alarmed that you think I'm capable of such passive-aggression. But now that you mention it, this <i>does</i> belong in Misc, so I'll move it. There will be a time for a Pi Day thread in News -- namely, next time I'm not too busy with school to update on the day itself.

evay 03-19-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 79658)
I'm a little alarmed that you think I'm capable of such passive-aggression.

Snicker snort. I've been spending too much time with certain in-laws; sorry. One does occasionally forget that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

evay 03-14-2014 10:46 AM

Happy Pi Day! Although it's been pointed out that March 2014 is Pi Month, so we get to enjoy it a bit longer this year (for the only time all century).

My crusts still suck, but even my sister who has a culinary degree uses the Pillsbury ones, so I don't feel so bad about it.

Nate the Great 03-14-2014 01:37 PM

As long as it's Pi Day, what do people feel about the Tau Manifesto?

NAHTMMM 03-17-2014 11:31 PM

Does it state that iota eta pi?

Hmm, no, it's boring by comparison. I don't see any need to change from pi, which is nearly twice as fun to draw as tau.

evay 01-25-2015 08:46 PM

Out of a combination of laziness and sheer amusement, I made a batch of brownies in a round cake pan instead of a square one. I'm finding the "pie-slice" brownies to be oddly more satisfying than the usual rectangular ones. I may not do them in a square pan again!

evay 03-14-2018 03:25 PM

On this Pi Day we've lost Stephen Hawking, who had a brilliant mind and a wicked sense of humor.

Nate the Great 03-14-2018 03:53 PM

Sorry, I forgot that we had a Pi Day thread. I refer you to my post in the Link Thread.

evay 03-14-2019 11:48 AM

I still occasionally snicker over MIT's school cheer:

"Cosine, secant, tangent, sine,
Three point One Four One Five Nine!"

Nate the Great 03-14-2019 01:37 PM

That's from MIT? I heard that years ago in calculus class.

It's a shame that I've already covered so many pi related links in years past. I'm sure if anybody cares about discounts on pizza for today they can do the research themselves.

Here's What Pi Sounds Like again, but here are some new musical interpretations:

The Pi Waltz-turn pi into base 12 before you turn it into music!
The Sound of Pi with a simpler method, just assign the digits to ten adjacent keys. Not quite as nice as What Pi Sounds Like, but you have to admit that it has more of an ethereal quality.
Numperphile's attempt doesn't sound very good at all