The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Next Stop: Winnipeg (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1104)

Naki 06-27-2006 07:00 AM

Next Stop: Winnipeg

Just to let all my fellow Canucks know, I'm going to be in Winnipeg from july 2nd to August 4th. If you're in the area and want to hang out and have some pie, contact me via pm or e-mail

You can also find me at the St Boniface University Computer lab ^_^

Nate the Great 06-27-2006 11:36 AM

Have fun on your vacation. As a Minnesotan I've visited Canada many times, and besides the bother of converting my money I like it a lot.

As a shout out for the Stargate fans that may pass through this thread, I've wondered for a long time whether the Canucks of Vancouver really are superior warriors, as Teal'c claims.

PointyHairedJedi 06-27-2006 12:40 PM

Winnipeg - that's in the north, right? Though, pretty much all of Canada is north, so I suppose it's rather moot to actually say so.

Have fun!

mudshark 06-27-2006 01:52 PM

Not too far north, as Canada goes.

Sa'ar Chasm 06-27-2006 03:52 PM

It's north of the 49th, as is the bulk of the landmass. It's common to use "south of the 49th" as a euphemism for the States, but if you draw the line across the rest of the country you find that the historical nucleus as well as the bulk of the population fall south of that line.

As a Vancouverite born, I'm obliged to say that the Canucks are indeed mighty warriers.

As an anti-fan of hockey and sports in general, I'm obliged to say "meh".

As far as I'm aware, they didn't make the playoffs this year.

That is all.

Sa'ar Chasm 06-27-2006 03:54 PM

*embarrassed pause*

I hit Submit Reply, didn't I? Apparently I hit it twice.

I am Lrrr, of the planet Omicron Persei 8! Go about your business! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

MaverickZer0 06-28-2006 06:59 AM

The Canucks are not superior warrors. Then again, I wasn't born in Vancouver, so what do I know?
Have fun in Winnipeg. Go to BDI....best ice cream anywhere. Oh yeah, and watch out for the mosquitoes. Just because they fog the city doesn't make it any better. Don't go outside in the early evening, because bug spray or no, you'll get eaten alive.
*is, very obviously, a Winnipeg native*
Also, if you don't bring sunscreen, you'll burn. It's a promise. Summer gets very hot there with no ocean cooling the air like out here.
What am I saying? Sunscreen or no, anyone who's lived by the ocean all their lives will fry, especially with the heat wave this year.
Have fun.

PointyHairedJedi 06-28-2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
..."south of the 49th"...

Wow. I didn't think you were allowed to use that word in Canada. I thought it was either "North" or "Not Quite As North, But Still Pretty North All The Same, Eh".

:D

Sa'ar Chasm 06-28-2006 02:57 PM

We're allowed to use it to refer to things that aren't in Canada, like the 72% of the planet that's located at lower latitudes.

Chancellor Valium 06-30-2006 09:07 PM

Quote:

As an anti-fan of hockey and sports in general, I'm obliged to say "meh".

Ahh, sport. 'Twas always the worst part of school, no?

Sa'ar Chasm 07-01-2006 03:58 AM

Yeah. Ever been hit in the face by a kicked volleyball?

My research supervisor's former postdoc supervisor didn't like any of the team sports offered at his school, so he and another guy asked the headmaster if they could form a running club.

Turns out that other guy was Roger Bannister.

Now I just need to work out how to get to Kevin Bacon in another couple of steps.

Chancellor Valium 07-01-2006 07:21 AM

Quote:

Yeah. Ever been hit in the face by a kicked volleyball?

No. Ever been hit on the head by a thrown basketball at least once a year?

Sa'ar Chasm 07-01-2006 02:18 PM

Oh, probably.

Oddly enough, I played beach volleyball with fellow chemists last summer and didn't suck at it nearly as much as I did in high school.

Chancellor Valium 07-01-2006 03:37 PM

Then again, presumably they didn't force you to play...?

Sa'ar Chasm 07-01-2006 04:07 PM

Something like that, yeah.

Plus I was a bit taller and stronger at 25 than I was at 14.

Chancellor Valium 07-01-2006 10:46 PM

That helps. Luckily, now I can get away with getting off doing stuff like that on the (granted, pretty weak) excuse of being too old for such things now...

PointyHairedJedi 07-10-2006 09:55 AM

Oh, I don't know - it wasn't so bad, Valium. I rather enjoyed competitive stamp collecting, mysef.

Chancellor Valium 07-15-2006 02:57 PM

You went to an ood, ood school :D

Saxamaphone 07-15-2006 06:54 PM

I was on the Knowledge Bowl team... that's a sport, right?

Nate the Great 08-02-2007 05:15 AM

Hey, so was I! And it IS a sport.