The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   ANOTHER GAME - Mornington Crescent (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=530)

Chancellor Valium 09-13-2004 08:49 PM

ANOTHER GAME - Mornington Crescent

Very simple game - if you don't understand, go to google and search for "Mornington Crescent".
Rules for this version:
We are using a modern London tube map (ie including the jubilee line!)
Players must start no further in than, southwards, above the Thames, North, below the line from North Woolwich to Richmond.
Players must not start on the Northern Line
I will start:
Caledonian Road

Xeroc 09-13-2004 10:30 PM

Okay, how about...

Seven Sisters

[Note: If you're wondering how to play, or what the heck we're talking about, look here:

Mornington Crescent

And for a map of the London Underground:

London Underground

Hope that helps]

stripysox 09-13-2004 10:36 PM

Any chance of someone here explaining it in a non-comfusing way? Or perhaps I am just to thick to understand. Sounds fun though, I want to play! :)

taya17 09-14-2004 01:05 AM

You do realize that a large majority of the forumgoers here don't know the London Underground by heart, do you?

Xeroc 09-14-2004 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taya17
You do realize that a large majority of the forumgoers here don't know the London Underground by heart, do you?

That's why I included a link to a map, if you don't:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeroc
And for a map of the London Underground:

London Underground

taya17 09-14-2004 03:37 AM

I might be wrong, but it seems to me as if the point of the game is to test the player's knowledge of the subway system, in which case making use of a map would completely defeat the purpose?

I don't know...as a whole the game doesn't make a ton of sense for me, so I might be mistaken. *shrug*

Xeroc 09-14-2004 03:43 AM

Quote:

I might be wrong, but it seems to me as if the point of the game is to test the player's knowledge of the subway system, in which case making use of a map would completely defeat the purpose?

I don't know...as a whole the game doesn't make a ton of sense for me, so I might be mistaken. *shrug*

Well, it doesn't make a (metric!) ton of sense to me either, but as far as I know, it's a game that doesn't really have much of a purpose (kind of like a lot of stuff here) and is just for fun. It also is suppossed to have creative and funny rules.

taya17 09-14-2004 03:56 AM

Maybe we should make use of something more accessible, like Voyager episodes? We can have creative rules too, like "List all the episodes in Season 3 in order, except those in which Janeway is shown drinking more than one cup of coffee"...

I think I get this game now, though, it's a mental exercise like 7-Up. (That's the game where you take turns sounding off numbers in order, except you have to say "Up!" everytime you come to a number that has a 7 in it, or is a multiple of 7...)

Xeroc 09-14-2004 04:21 AM

Quote:

Maybe we should make use of something more accessible, like Voyager episodes? We can have creative rules too, like "List all the episodes in Season 3 in order, except those in which Janeway is shown drinking more than one cup of coffee"...

You realize that would be like, one episode.

Alexia 09-14-2004 07:24 AM

Quote:

Ooooh, I like the sound of somthing like that!

Quote:

I think I get this game now, though, it's a mental exercise like 7-Up. (That's the game where you take turns sounding off numbers in order, except you have to say "Up!" everytime you come to a number that has a 7 in it, or is a multiple of 7...)

And there was me thinking you meant the soft drink :wink:

As for this game...*has a flashback of being on the tube, on a hot day, this summer*

*runs kicking and screaming from game*

taya17 09-14-2004 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeroc
You realize that would be like, one episode.

That was just a hypothetical example :D

Chancellor Valium 09-14-2004 12:30 PM

OFF TOPIC!!!!! Can we stick to playing Mornington Crescent in this thread? You can find rules by typing "rules for Mornington Crescent" into google.
You can't go to seven sisters! We're playing Marquess of Pigswade rules! You can't approach seven sisters on the diagonal from the Picadilly or Waterloo /City lines!
Oh, and by the way, its not a "subway" it's the TUBE! T-U-B-E!!!

Alexia 09-14-2004 12:48 PM

Speaking of Subways, did you ever have a subway sandwich?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...sandwich :mrgreen: :wink:

Chancellor Valium 09-14-2004 04:01 PM

OFF TOPIC AGAIN!!!!!

Alexia 09-14-2004 05:12 PM

Speaking of Topics, does anyone know where you can but them? They are an English chocolate bar I haven't seen for yeeeeeeeears... :wink:

OK! Ok, I'll stop now :wink: :mrgreen: I couldn't resist :wink:

But seriously Valium, off topics happen :wink:

Chancellor Valium 09-14-2004 06:25 PM

Sorry. Been around one v. serious forum for a while now....

Xeroc 09-14-2004 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
You can't go to seven sisters! We're playing Marquess of Pigswade rules! You can't approach seven sisters on the diagonal from the Picadilly or Waterloo /City lines!

Of course I knew that, I was just testing you.

I'm actually going to start at...

Kingsbury

Draknek 09-14-2004 10:20 PM

Ah, clever. However, I think I'm going to have to double cross-trip along the second major line, taking me to Kenton and unfortunately blocking your plan.

Xeroc 09-14-2004 10:26 PM

A smart move, but, alas, that was not my plan after all!

I move to ...

Earl's Court!

Chancellor Valium 09-15-2004 09:53 AM

I block BOTH your moves, with Marylebone change for Clapham Common!