The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Other people suck - A diatribe (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23)

Things Are Good 04-19-2003 07:33 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]So, I'm checking the headlines onTrekToday and I see "Enterpise nominated for two Hugo awards" and I think "Wow, which episodes?" And then I see that it was "Carbon Creek" and "A Night in Sickbay" and I think "Wow. What idiots."

Recall if you will that the Hugo is an award "The Visitor" failed to win, and now "A Night in Sickbay" (which I think we can all agree is not brilliant) has a chance?

No. Just...no.[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM 04-19-2003 07:36 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Someone at TBBS said that in DS9's time, there was a single "Best Dramatic Presentation Award" for the combined field of TV and movies. That's changed by now.[/color:post_uid0]

Things Are Good 04-19-2003 07:37 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]That changes nothing. :mad: :mad:[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste 04-19-2003 11:26 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]What are Hugo awards for again?[/color:post_uid0]

Wonko The Sane 04-20-2003 01:00 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Celeste"]What are Hugo awards for again?[/quote:post_uid0]

Well...this is what TrekToday says:

[quote:post_uid0="TrekToday"]The Hugos, which celebrate their 50th anniversary this year, are awarded annually by the World Science Fiction Society to honour the best in genre literature, art and film-making.[/quote:post_uid0]

I'm suprised they didn't nominate Dead Stop.[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste 04-20-2003 02:11 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]hmm, well that doesn't really explain much. But I would have thought there were a lot better episodes to nominate besides those two. Neither of those stories show any type of good Science Fiction story telling.[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke 04-21-2003 04:39 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]I wouldn't go that far. I would, however, seriously question the sanity of the nominating committee.

The most depressing part is that [i:post_uid0]Enterprise[/i:post_uid0] really has no chance now, even though some of its material in 2002 was Hugo-level, or at least worthy of serious consideration. "Shockwave," "Dear Doctor," "Shuttlepod One", "Minefield"... that's the kind of material the series deserves to be recognized for. I'm not saying it should have won, necessarily -- [i:post_uid0]Farscape[/i:post_uid0] did good stuff in 2002 (if not its best), for example -- but it at least deserved a chance. But that would have meant putting its best foot forward, and for whatever reason, it hasn't been allowed to.[/color:post_uid0]

ijdgaf 04-21-2003 07:38 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]If any episode this season should be nominated for a Hugo, I think I might put "A Night in Sickbay" in the running. It was more original than the average [i:post_uid0]Enterprise[/i:post_uid0] episode (which isn't a dog on the show, but all things considered, it's often not terribly original). From a storytelling standpoint it was rather unique, and if I'm allowed to say so, [i:post_uid0]I ENJOYED IT[/i:post_uid0].

Now, "Carbon Creek" may not be worthy of a nomination, but I think "A Night In Sickbay" is as good a contender as anything.[/color:post_uid0]