The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fiver By Committee (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Announcement (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1375)

AKAArzosah 04-23-2007 09:35 AM

How about in the direction of the original topic? Are there any further suggestions for movies? Nate, maybe you have some of your own? (suggestions, not movies) Ooh, let's five Sa'ar's ad! Of course, that would make it longer...
What was I talking about? Right, suggestions... Well, are there any further? And we need a list of the ones we have so far.

Nate the Great 04-23-2007 10:21 AM

Well, I'd like

Batman Begins
Raiders of the Lost Ark and so on
National Treasure
Almost any Marvel Movie

Suggestions that aren't movies? How about "careful when wet?" :)

Looking back on my earlier James Bond suggestion, I suppose that there are too many for comver purposes. Bond would be it's own section.

Chancellor Valium 04-23-2007 07:10 PM

Not a Sci-Fi film, but what about either:

A) The Big Sleep
or
B) The Maltese Falcon

?

ijdgaf 04-23-2007 07:51 PM

A few other pop cultural touchstones:

E.T.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The Godfather
The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe

Nate the Great 04-23-2007 08:24 PM

LWW wouldn't be that bad, but doesn't that sneak a bit too far away from our scifi credo? In fact, it occurs to me that you could create a pie chart for a movie composed of portions of scifi, fantasy, horror, action, etc.

I separate scifi from fantasy thusly:

If any inventions, actions, or feats are presented that are beyond our current understanding are presented as though they are simple extensions of our current scientific knowledge and inventions, it's scifi.

If any inventions, actions, or feats are presented that are beyond our current understanding are presented as though they tap into some energy that is intrinsic to nature (i.e. the "natural laws" of the universe include the possiblility of such feats), it's fantasy.

Thus Back to the Future is scifi. The LWW is fantasy. Star Wars is scifi. Willow is fantasy.

Zeke 04-23-2007 08:56 PM

My reason for not considering LW&W is simpler: I don't trust the mob with C. S. Lewis. But I like IJD's other suggestions. I knew there were some obvious ones we were missing. (Not The Godfather, though. Let's keep it sci-fi for now.)

Nate the Great 04-23-2007 09:42 PM

Please no ET. If idgaf wants it, let him five it himself and stick it into Five-Minute Cheese.

ijdgaf 04-23-2007 09:56 PM

I'm just trying to think of big movies that most everyone has seen (and if they haven't, they're uncultured heathens). Not necessarily films I like, just films that have wide recognition.

Nate the Great 04-23-2007 10:14 PM

Oh.

Could someone stick the "uncultured heathen" arguement back into Pandora's Box and add another padlock, please?

AKAArzosah 04-24-2007 11:21 AM

I think it was a joke. In fact, given the website this forum is for, I'm pretty sure it was a joke. Don't take things so personally.

Godfather is a bit before my time and not science fiction. ET and probably also Close Encounters were already suggested by MY MUM (seriously). The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe? HOLY MOTHER OF GOD NO I WILL STAB YOU.

If I seem nasty or annoyed or particularly short with anyone, well I'm tired. I have to run a post office on my own for a day on Thursday and I'm really not looking forward to it. Australia Post sucks, y'all. Just so you know.

PointyHairedJedi 04-24-2007 03:11 PM

On a completely random tack, why not go for one of the many films that is now in the public domain? Quite a few are corny B-movie stuff, I admit, but there are some real gems out there.

Chancellor Valium 04-24-2007 06:38 PM

...Plan 9 From Outer Space?

Nate the Great 04-24-2007 07:44 PM

Uh, I'd rather not. We're supposed to spoof quality scifi here, not Santa Claus Invades the Martians.

Some of the online actions I've regretted the most came from posting while annoyed or short. My advice? Unplug the computer. Go out and enjoy some time in meatspace/offline/RL whatever you want to call it. Smell some flowers. Personally I like to go hiking in the woods.

PointyHairedJedi 04-24-2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 73345)
Uh, I'd rather not. We're supposed to spoof quality scifi here, not Santa Claus Invades the Martians.

It's out there, if you care to look. I've got Things to Come sitting on my computer waiting to be watched, for instance.

Nate the Great 04-24-2007 10:10 PM

What's out there? Santa Claus invades the Martians, or quality scifi?

(Bah-dum-bum-chissh)

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. Try the veal!

ijdgaf 04-24-2007 10:31 PM

...Come to think of it, I bet a sizable proportion of us is familiar with "This Island Earth". And not because we've all seen it in its original format. I certainly haven't.

Nate the Great 04-24-2007 11:22 PM

Sorry, never heard of it.

ijdgaf 04-25-2007 12:53 AM

Uncultured Heathen!

mudshark 04-25-2007 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 73345)

Whose definition of "quality sci-fi" shall we use? (And the correct title is Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, thankyewverymuch.)

Quote:

Some of the online actions I've regretted the most came from posting while annoyed or short. My advice? Unplug the computer. Go out and enjoy some time in meatspace/offline/RL whatever you want to call it. Smell some flowers. Personally I like to go hiking in the woods.
I'm sure you do.

Nate the Great 04-25-2007 11:50 AM

I suppose "Invades" is pretty good for a random neuron misfire. Come on, I only knew it existed because of MST!

Quality science fiction means that fictional technology is used to amplify the meaning of the plot.

PointyHairedJedi 04-25-2007 02:49 PM

That's a rather narrow definition. I can think of several acknowleged classics just off the top of my head that aren't covered by that.

(Dune, A Clockwork Orange, Stand on Zanzibar, The Shape of Things to Come and The Stars My Destination, in case you're wondering).

catalina_marina 04-25-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 73237)

I'll always come back, Zeke.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 73262)
She's quantum now, so you can't be sure either way.

Unless you observe me.

Chancellor Valium 04-25-2007 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 73363)
I suppose "Invades" is pretty good for a random neuron misfire. Come on, I only knew it existed because of MST!

Quality science fiction means that fictional technology is used to amplify the meaning of the plot.

Sadly, that disqualifies most good sci-fi :)

Nate the Great 04-25-2007 08:48 PM

You consider Clockwork Orange to be scifi?

Chancellor Valium 04-25-2007 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 73370)
You consider Clockwork Orange to be scifi?

No, I consider it screwed-up :)

on-topic: I don't remember anyone mentioning the godfather of all sci-fi films, though...

The Time Machine

?

Nate the Great 04-26-2007 03:45 AM

Nay.

Gatac 04-26-2007 05:30 AM

*In the vein of Chris's Invincible Super-Blog*

I SAY THEE NAY!

Gatac

Zeke 04-26-2007 07:12 AM

Dammit, Thor! You know real English.

PointyHairedJedi 04-26-2007 09:40 AM

Has every thread now just become a link thread?

Quote:

Originally Posted by catalina_marina (Post 73366)
Unless you observe me.

I thought I did, once, but you managed to make me not sure even about that.

AKAArzosah 04-26-2007 10:20 AM

Ooh, The Time Machine! Can we add that to the list as a possibility?

Can I vote for more than one thing?

ijdgaf 04-26-2007 01:32 PM

It occurs to me that the first Harry Potter might be worth considering too.

But really, can we have a poll already? I think we've got enough options floating around.

Nate the Great 04-26-2007 04:34 PM

Not that Harry Potter isn't good, but it's fantasy. One hundred percent fantasy. We do scifi here. Or at least stuff that is any percentage scifi.

Zeke 04-26-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijdgaf (Post 73391)
But really, can we have a poll already?

SO HELP ME I WILL TURN THIS CAR AROUND

PointyHairedJedi 04-26-2007 07:04 PM

What what sort of car would Zeke drive anyhow? My first thought was a Yugo, but I think a Trabant would somehow suit him better.

Derek 04-26-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 73395)
SO HELP ME I WILL TURN THIS CAR AROUND

Zeke, watch the road! You're going to drive into that poll!

Or possibly "(FOOOOOM)". Haven't decided yet.

Zeke 04-26-2007 07:59 PM

I drive a K-Car. It's a nice Reliant automobile. (I call it Miranda.)

danieldoof 04-26-2007 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 73397)
What what sort of car would Zeke drive anyhow? My first thought was a Yugo, but I think a Trabant would somehow suit him better.

TRABANT MUAHAHHAHA erm...yeah our legacy to the world :D

Nate the Great 04-26-2007 08:52 PM

You a Barenaked Ladies fan, Zeke?

ijdgaf 04-26-2007 10:33 PM

Two Lord of the Rings fivers and a fair number of OC fivers beg to differ with this whole strictly sci-fi attitude. I would argue that Star Wars is 100% fantasy as well. In any case, Harry Potter is far from off-limits. I know the idea has been bounced around at least once.

So poll-wise... are we there yet?

Zeke 04-26-2007 11:27 PM

Lay off for the moment, IJD. I gave a talk today, I have an exam Saturday, and I have assignments way overdue. This will be over soon, but it isn't now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 73401)
You a Barenaked Ladies fan, Zeke?

<a href="../thisjustin/7.html">Ya think?</a>