The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I'm Going To Canada (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1609)

PointyHairedJedi 04-13-2012 09:49 PM

I'm Going To Canada

...Is not a euphemism, but probably should be.

Anyhoo, it a bit over two weeks I shall be heading from these sunny shores, well, Scotland at any rate, and arriving after a slightly-too-long-to-be-bearable flight in BC for a whole month's worth of bear-dodging, hockey-rioting, and whatever else the hell it is Canadians get up to (tasing foreigners, from what I've heard, so obviously I'm going to have to assume the accent too, eh).

It's a pity I've not more funds (I've been very lax with my bank robberies lately) otherwise I'd definitely have planned to see more of you Canadians, Mexicans, and... whatever that bit in the middle is called. Armenia? Anyway, perhaps next time, if I survive this time.

Who has suggestions for fun things to do in Vancouver and Vancouver Island? I've already got "Visit Seattle and egg Microsoft's headquarters" on the list, though it's not quite the same knowing that Bill isn't around any more, somehow...

Sa'ar Chasm 04-16-2012 06:07 PM

I don't know if I'll be able to get down to Vancouver. I've got to get my lectures sorted out plus line up a place to stay for June 1st (staying with my parents for May, and I'm not about to make my girlfriend live in my parents' basement when I have a real job). I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but I can't commit to anything concrete at this point.

As far as things to do in Vancouver...you might check out Wreck Beach. *evil grin*

MaverickZer0 04-21-2012 02:06 AM

There's the suspension bridge, which I've heard is pretty neat. Uh.

Vancouver's kind of boring, but you might want to check out Metropolis. It's a pretty huge mall, and there's a nifty Asian mall connected to it, too.

PointyHairedJedi 04-21-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm (Post 78361)
I don't know if I'll be able to get down to Vancouver. I've got to get my lectures sorted out plus line up a place to stay for June 1st (staying with my parents for May, and I'm not about to make my girlfriend live in my parents' basement when I have a real job). I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but I can't commit to anything concrete at this point.

As far as things to do in Vancouver...you might check out Wreck Beach. *evil grin*

I looked that up. :P

Be a shame if we miss each other, but on the other hand, you seem kinda busy! Obviously I understand; ordinarily I realise I'd pretty much be like visiting royalty, but William & Kate have ruined that for me at least for the next year or two.

Maverick: I fully expect every single shop in Canada to stock nothing but maple syrup, so naturally I would like nothing more than to visit a mall full of shops that sell maple syrup! I mean, it's my understanding that Canadians have evolved into a kind of tree-vampire, so it makes sense that their shops wouldn't sell anything else.

evay 04-21-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 78367)
Maverick: I fully expect every single shop in Canada to stock nothing but maple syrup, so naturally I would like nothing more than to visit a mall full of shops that sell maple syrup! I mean, it's my understanding that Canadians have evolved into a kind of tree-vampire, so it makes sense that their shops wouldn't sell anything else.

You can do that in Vermont, too. Maple syrup, maple sugar, maple candies of varying degrees of hardness, maple butter, maple syrup cookbooks, and so on. The main difference is that Vermont comes with a side of blueberries, and in Canada I think it's poutine.

PointyHairedJedi 04-21-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evay (Post 78370)
You can do that in Vermont, too. Maple syrup, maple sugar, maple candies of varying degrees of hardness, maple butter, maple syrup cookbooks, and so on. The main difference is that Vermont comes with a side of blueberries, and in Canada I think it's poutine.

Mmm, sounds... delicious.

So the cookbooks themselves are made of maple syrup? Are they not in consequence a bit runny?

evay 04-22-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 78373)
So the cookbooks themselves are made of maple syrup? Are they not in consequence a bit runny?

The words are printed in that edible gold-leaf stuff and the pages are refrigerated almost to the point of freezing. That allows you just enough time to read and make the recipe before it defrosts and you pour the syrup over whatever you made. It's a very new concept in biodegradables. Vermont is a pioneer in green technology like that.

Sa'ar Chasm 05-10-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Obviously I understand; ordinarily I realise I'd pretty much be like visiting royalty, but William & Kate have ruined that for me at least for the next year or two.
I left Ottawa for a weekend specifically to avoid those two and their accompanying circus.

How's the visit going so far?