The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Link Thread (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1377)

LtFielding 12-29-2007 08:39 PM

http://www.wowbagger.com/
insult generator.

Nate the Great 12-31-2007 06:41 AM

Who's on First, Shakespeare-Style

Just what the link says. Two guys paying homage to a comedy classic by putting a new spin on it.

Nate the Great 01-02-2008 01:02 AM

The Death of Encyclopedia Brown

A great spoof by The Onion. As a child I was a big fan of Encyclopedia Brown, and in retrospect I was an avid Encyclopedia/Sally shipper, so this thing amused me.

AKAArzosah 01-02-2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 75723)
Two guys paying homage to a comedy classic by putting a new spin on it.

Or two guys paying homage to a classic by putting a comedy spin on it?

I didn't watch it, youtube disagrees with my non-broadband computer.

mudshark 01-02-2008 05:14 PM

Here, you can find Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories in full text, complete with Kipling's original accompanying illustrations.

PointyHairedJedi 01-02-2008 06:14 PM

If you have the inclination to look, you can find many books online now, including most of those of HG Wells.

Chancellor Valium 01-02-2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudshark (Post 75740)
Here, you can find Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories in full text, complete with Kipling's original accompanying illustrations.

Ooh! I must look at this soon.

@Pointy and to the floor: Am I the only one who finds Wells' style intolerably stuffy? Admittedly, I only really tried Star-Begotten, but still.

Zeke 01-03-2008 04:59 AM

He is a little stuffy, but definitely not intolerably so. I just read The Invisible Man and loved it. It probably depends on the particular work; I do find some of his short stories a little dense, though still great SF.

PointyHairedJedi 01-03-2008 01:18 PM

The Shape of Things to Come is one of my favourite books ever. Not quite enough to knock Dune off the top spot, but top five for sure.

mudshark 01-05-2008 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 75743)
If you have the inclination to look, you can find many books online now, including most of those of HG Wells.

There's more and more turning up on Google Books, all the time, and many university libraries also have many titles in full-text online. If you don't mind downloading them, the Gutenberg Project has a lot, too.

I'm afraid I really haven't read a lot of Wells, so I don't have an opinion on his stuffy quotient. Verne's a fun read still, though.

Nate the Great 01-10-2008 06:47 AM

Ctrl+Alt+Del on humor

I found this particularly interesting "manual" while doing a C.A.D. archive binge. It's a relatively new webcomic for me, and quite entertaining, if I must say.

Nate the Great 01-12-2008 03:38 AM

A great Revolution joke

So anyway, Ctrl+Alt+Del is now officially in my list of Ten Favorite Webcomics, and I'm doing an archive binge. I couldn't help but be amused at this subtle jab at the Nintendo Revolution.

Nate the Great 01-15-2008 06:03 AM

The Original Mr. Owl Tootsie Pop Commercial
The Tootsie Pop Commercial in 3D

The first link is the full one-minute version of the classic Tootsie Pop commercial, which is one of the longest-lasting commercials still on the air (if you count the shortened thirty-second version to be the same thing). The second link is the thirty-second version rendered in 3D.

Of course, it still amuses me that people actually attempt to calculate the number of licks, mainly because a definitive answer is impossible given the variables involved.

And because I believe that humor should come first in this forum, here's an Order of the Stick comic that makes fun of this phenomenon.

Nate the Great 01-16-2008 03:13 AM

A Munchkin Coroner?

So my newest webcomic addiction is Chesire Crossing, the crossdimensional adventures of Mary Poppins, Alice Liddell, Wendy Darling, and Dorothy Gale. I'm not making this up (go Dave Barry!). This particular comic had an exchange that gave me the greatest guffaw I've had in recent memory:

Mary Poppins on Munchkin Land: Is it a safe place for us to go?
Dorothy Gale: Well, there's only a hundred or so of them, but they have a full-time coroner, so you tell me.

Ha ha! "As coroner, I vouch for her. I thoroughly examined her. And not only is she MERELY dead, she's really most SINCERELY dead!"

Chancellor Valium 01-16-2008 03:08 PM

Bo Dudley - Mamma's Got A Brand New Bag (Yeah)

Nate the Great 01-24-2008 02:25 PM

The Book of Ratings on Pop Flavors

This may sound like a PNQ, but for me it's neither Persistent nor Niggling. Besides, I wanted to put another plug in for The Book of Ratings.

In any event this page suggests that root beer tastes like toothpaste. Huh?

Nate the Great 02-04-2008 04:28 AM

Super Nerds

I was amused at this one.

Nate the Great 02-04-2008 09:00 PM

A crossover MST

Since this is one of those rare fanfics that even >I< can't wrap my brain around, I thought I'd inflict it on you guys. I'm so evil. :)

AKAArzosah 02-05-2008 01:22 AM

Quote:

Way in the future on the Starship Enterprise, everybody was sleeping because of Jigglypuff.
New sig!

mudshark 02-05-2008 04:22 PM

That made no sense at all to me until I looked it up. Now I hate you both.

Nate the Great 02-05-2008 10:37 PM

Hey, don't blame me! I warned you right from the get-go, didn't I?

Nate the Great 02-06-2008 10:50 AM

Star Trek meets Monty Python

Well, that's what the video's called. Actually it's the Round Table song from Monty Python and the Holy Grail mixed with video clips from Star Trek. Really funny! I'd forgotten how wacky Kirk and Crew could get, what with Trelane, space hippies, and so on.

Nate the Great 02-06-2008 08:03 PM

A great double pun!

I don't want to ruin this for you, just click! What can I say, I'm a sucker for awful puns, and this comic has them in spades.

Chancellor Valium 02-07-2008 04:53 PM

Oscar Wilde

I wish I'd posted this earlier.

MaverickZer0 02-08-2008 03:50 AM

<a href="http://community.livejournal.com/ihasatardis/912366.html">We appear to be LJ-ly famous.</a>

Kickass, no?

mudshark 02-08-2008 06:36 AM

That was pretty funny. :D

PointyHairedJedi 02-08-2008 08:52 AM

http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp...trek_insp.html

The Kira inspired one is there, of course, but scroll down a little and you'll see another familiar line (and this one actually creditied! Woo!).

Nate the Great 02-08-2008 01:28 PM

I gotta say that if we ever have an official fivist's handbook, the line "you don't have to be crazy to work here, but it helps" has GOTTA be in there. It's just so apt. ;)

Nate the Great 02-09-2008 01:52 AM

Betty is speechless

I don't want to ruin this one, just click! You're gonna love it!

Nate the Great 02-09-2008 06:24 AM

Two for the price of one (namely nothing)!

Tupper's Self-Referential Formula

A formula that produces a graph of itself under the correct circumstances?
1. Who'd think of creating such a thing? (Yeah, it's cool, but still!)
2. How'd they find it?

A Report by Naomi

Doc tells Naomi to write a report on the senior staff, so she talks about all of the crushes the senior staff has for each other. She's very observant, isn't she?

Chancellor Valium 02-12-2008 01:37 PM

And He Shall Purify - Messiah, Handel
And The Glory - Messiah, Handel
Ev'ry Valley - Messiah, Handel
Hallelujah Chorus - Messiah, Handel

Zadok the Priest, Handel

Miserere mei, Deus, Allegri

The Man From Harlem, Cab Calloway
C is for Cookiee
St. James' Infirmary Blues, Duke Ellington
Sing, Sing, Sing - Benny Goodman
Minnie The Moocher (Hugh Laurie)

Zeke 02-15-2008 07:56 AM

Wow, this takes me back. To the tune of "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds": "Hoshi and the Slug" (with violence)

PointyHairedJedi 02-18-2008 06:45 AM

Flow, in which you have to eat other things to become a bigger thing.

mudshark 02-18-2008 05:55 PM

The APOD for 13 February -- just because.

Nate the Great 02-19-2008 03:41 AM

To follow up on the Star Trek inspirational posters, I present the following...

Clickety Click!

Let's just say you have to see it to believe it.

Nate the Great 02-20-2008 05:54 PM

I present the following Tom Lehrer quote. Maybe I'll work it into my sig eventually, but here it is anyway.

Tom Lehrer: Irreverence is easy, but what is hard is wit.

NAHTMMM 02-20-2008 11:32 PM

^ He's right, all right. ;)

mudshark 02-21-2008 04:46 PM

^ I liked the sentence beginning the quote which the sentence Nate cited concluded, myself. And the stuff in between, too.

Lehrer's very quotable, though -- always has been.

Nate the Great 02-21-2008 09:19 PM

Well, in any event, I hope that I have wit. After all, I was raised to NOT use bathroom and bedroom humor, so I can't fall back on it.

PointyHairedJedi 02-26-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudshark (Post 76037)
Lehrer's very quotable, though -- always has been.

Aisde from that Disraeli quote, the only other I can generally recall is the one about Kissinger.