The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   5MV Talk (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Weird forum bug (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=951)

whoiam 01-21-2006 08:43 PM

Weird forum bug

For some reason, the entire forum just marked itself 'read' - starting from a point earlier today when I accidentally marked myself in on two browsers at once.

The forum's still working fine, it just thinks that none of the topics contain unread posts... which is a little weird, as there were something like 10 'misc' threads I still haven't gotten around to reading today...

Zeke 01-21-2006 09:14 PM

The cure for this bug is complicated and dangerous:

Don't mark yourself in on two browsers at once.

Attempt this cure at your own risk.

danieldoof 01-21-2006 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
The cure for this bug is complicated and dangerous:

Don't mark yourself in on two browsers at once.

Attempt this cure at your own risk.

BWAHAHAHAHA
I know that one :wink:

whoiam 01-21-2006 09:30 PM

*winces* I walked right into that one, didn't I?

Zeke 01-21-2006 10:10 PM

Yep. I've noticed this phenomenon before: if my browser crashes, for example, I usually find all posts marked as read when I reopen it. I don't think it's a bug, just an inconvenience. It's easy enough to resolve -- if you want to be sure you haven't missed any posts, just check all the recent threads. This is a pretty quick-loading forum thanks to the sig image rule.

danieldoof 01-21-2006 10:16 PM

but it has gotten a little more complicated because of the rollovers
do you have a tip for me yet?

edith: and a :D for the member title

Zeke 01-21-2006 10:24 PM

You're confusing me. What page are you seeing rollovers on, and what are you doing that provokes them? I thought I removed that whole section of code.

danieldoof 01-21-2006 10:29 PM

okay I explain the little problem

when I go online to check the forum I use the posts since last visit button....then an index page shows up that tells me the threads....I see thread information when moving the mouse over the topic title..(bwahahaha...erm okay that was lame)

so the thing is that that kind of disables my middle-mouse-button-open-link-in-new-tab-thingie

e of pi 01-21-2006 10:53 PM

You know, I've been having the same marked-read-before-I-read-it thing going on both here, and on other boards with the same system.

Zeke 01-21-2006 11:22 PM

Oho, posts since last visit. I didn't even look at that page. I wish I could just undo the whole mod and add topic descriptions myself now that I know how... I think when I have a minute I'll do the next best thing, and systematically eliminate the tooltip code in all files.

danieldoof 01-21-2006 11:29 PM

well the mod is not bad at all
but it would be helpful if someone could give me a tip what I could do to get that open in new tab thing back on the new threads like this one

Zeke 01-21-2006 11:34 PM

Most browsers have a simple mechanism for opening any link in a new tab. In Opera, I can just shift-click. Check your help files.

danieldoof 01-22-2006 07:35 PM

thanks for that zeke

it really works....cool

btw...when the threads have more then one page the normal middle-mouse-click works again on the numbers below the topic title (wink wink)