The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Enterprise 3x21 E2 - Not aired yet, so no real spoilers (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88)

Michiel 05-04-2004 09:41 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]No real spoilers, except what's on StarTrek.com already. I've watched the episode preview and looked at this page.

I think this episode will look a lot like "Children of Time". Lets hope it will be mostly original though. It'd be a real shame if one of the four last episodes of the season turned out to be a dissapointment.

There's a photo there titled "Trip and T'Pol have to deal with some awkward new knowledge". Three guesses what that knowledge is. :p[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste 05-04-2004 03:07 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]oh I know! I know! ::jumps up and down with one hand raised:: And I haven't been reading any spoilers I swear! I've been good. :cool:[/color:post_uid0]

Derek 05-06-2004 11:42 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Now that the episode has aired, here are my comments.

SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE EPISODE
I thought it was great. Enterprise has really hit its stride.

- The episode did have a "Children of Time" feel at the beginning, but fortunately, it didn't end the same way.
- I liked the way Lorian actually stole from Enterprise! It really did seem like some good turnabout to Archer's recent maneuver. And then the two ships fought, which made me realize that when you steal and fight with others, you're really just stealing and fighting with yourself.
- One thing I really appreciated was the way they never quite resolved what happened to the other Enterprise. Was it destroyed? Did it survive? Did it go through the corrider only to go back through time again? Did it disappear from reality? I'm inclined to go with the latter since that seems to be Braga's wont, but it's also his wont to clearly resolve what happens and so the other ship fading out, so I don't know what's going to happen.

Heh, and did anyone think First Contact when the past Enterprise decided they coudn't return to Earth since the warp flight hadn't happened yet? It sure would've been interesting if they [i:post_uid0]had[/i:post_uid0] returned for it.[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste 05-06-2004 01:59 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]They so could have gotten back to earth right after the warp flight had taken place, or like.. a few weeks before the destruction of Floriduh. But i'm not nitpicking. This ep was good. Not as good as the others past, but still good none the less. Very touching scene with T'pol and .. T'pol. :) Didn't make me cry like last time, but I definaly went "aww.." And the special effects were Awesome! Me and my friend were like.. "OMG that's so cool!" when the two enterprise's split. Very nice. This ep gets the Cele patented thumbs up for will watch this one again.[/color:post_uid0]

Kira 05-06-2004 02:54 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Derek"]- The episode did have a "Children of Time" feel at the beginning, but fortunately, it didn't end the same way.[/quote:post_uid0]
I thought it was pretty darn close, seeing as how the timeline was changed to eliminate the existence of the descendants. Sure, one could argue that they were destroyed, but I'm more inclined to buy the they-ceased-to-exist theory.

Aside from the Children of Time ripoff, I enjoyed the episode. (And hey, I loved Children of Time so even that isn't much of a downer.) Some particular highlights for me were Malcolm's reaction to finding out he died a bachelor, everything Old T'Pol/T'Pol/Trip/Lorien, and the fact that what comes around goes around for Archer and his stealing-because-I-had-no-choice strategy.[/color:post_uid0]

Derek 05-06-2004 03:52 PM

[quote:post_uid0="Kira"][color=#000000:post_uid0]I thought it was pretty darn close, seeing as how the timeline was changed to eliminate the existence of the descendants. Sure, one could argue that they were destroyed, but I'm more inclined to buy the they-ceased-to-exist theory.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I'm sure the ultimate fate of the other Enterprise depends on whether or not someone comes up with a cool idea for a follow-up episode.

And you're right that it ended in a similar manner to CoT, but what I meant was that it didn't come down to a "should we go back in time to preserve that timeline?" or even anything similar. Lorian was in fact adamant that the ship [i:post_uid0]not[/i:post_uid0] go back through the corridor because of the mission.

And yeah, I wondered why past ENT didn't just fly to Earth in the days before the tragedy and warn everyone, but of course you have to let the writers have a little room.

For that matter, why didn't Daniels or Braxton suddenly show up and return the ship to its correct time? I guess you can argue that being in the future, they could detect the past changes and saw that things worked out better with the two ENTs teaming up instead of the other way.... or whatever.[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina 05-06-2004 05:18 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Time travel episodes always seem to have a bit of a disappointment ending for me, because either nobody remembers what has actually happened, or there is a paradox. Or both. Despite of that, though, I [i:post_uid0]love[/i:post_uid0] most time travel episodes. :)

For some reason, I believe the Enterprise still went back in time, but it was split up into two Enterprises. As far as I can see that would be the only possibility. I know the writers probably didn't mean it that way, but let me have my delusions, ok? ;)

I liked that they explained why the Xindi thought there were more Starfleet ships in the Expanse. And of course the conversations between the crew and their descendants. Did anybody else think Karyn Archer looked a bit like Hoshi? :p[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste 05-06-2004 06:56 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]There was some really good quoteables too like Archer's "They don't seem to have the same problem!" and Degra's "You're early."[/color:post_uid0]

Opium 05-07-2004 10:33 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]See? All good Enterprise plots come from DS9 :D[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste 05-07-2004 10:52 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]not true! The other one was from Equinox. :)[/color:post_uid0]

Michiel 05-08-2004 08:00 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]You mean the one where Archer stole that warp coil? I don't think that episode was remotely like Equinox. There's only one thing in common. The both have a captain who does something bad.

E2 is much more like Children of Time. It's the same idea. Granted, it was a great episode and they managed to make it original.

Go Enterprise! :D[/color:post_uid0]

Opium 05-11-2004 06:30 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]*sigh* as much as Entrprise is good Trek, it's just doesnt have the good, solid plots and drama that DS9, the non-Trek Trek, had...

Just a pet peeve of someone who does backstage work... why did they do such icky makeup on "Old T'Pol"? Why not get an older look-alike actress?[/color:post_uid0]