The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Link Thread (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1377)

DrWho42 08-26-2022 07:28 AM

someone set the beginning of doctor who's season 23 to the red dwarf theme song:

"I knew the opening to Trial of a Time Lord reminded me of something..."

Zeke 08-26-2022 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 82875)

As amazingly bad as all that was, somehow the part that annoyed me most was Luna complaining "There goes one of my nine lives" over a gentle two-foot drop that the actual cat clearly handles fine.

Nate the Great 08-26-2022 11:43 AM

I couldn't watch much of it, the animation was just too bad and it was clear that the characters didn't have much personality.

I had a whole screed planned around the question "why make a new product around the name Sailor Moon if you're not actually going to adapt what makes Sailor Moon unique?" Especially when you consider that this is a time period when American children only had access to anime via television dubs. Nobody here even knew what "Sailor Moon" was, so why do we care?

With the modifications made to the character designs and plot for the sake of "Americanizing" it, why not go whole hog, rename everyone, and drop the Sailor Moon branding entirely?

DrWho42 08-31-2022 08:58 AM

dan voltz (@djvoltz1701) did this piece of the enterprise-e:

NEW artwork today. Behold, the Sovereign-class USS Enterprise-E.

Nate the Great 08-31-2022 10:42 PM

TrekCulture's list of ten Trek episodes that aren't the worst, but people ignore them, and they deserve a second chance.

Voyager: "Resistance". Yeah, I don't return to this one. Prostitution, torture, and terrorism are not my idea of a good time, and good acting performances can't cancel that out.
Voyager: "11:59". I enjoy this one, I just wish that they hadn't wasted time on Janeway's illusion of O'Donnell being shattered, instead spending more time on the rest of the crew's stories of their families.

TOS: "The Empath". Another one that I enjoy. My only complaint is that there's a bit too much talking (and the budget could've been a bit bigger, of course).
DS9: "The Reckoning". I'll come right out and say it-I don't like it when higher life forms use our heroes as puppets and chess pieces. Not in the slightest. Furthermore, the concept of the Prophets was never properly thought through. They claim to exist outside time, yet their interactions with our heroes always have "before" and "after" states. As Phil Farrand says in the DS9 Nitpicker's Guide, they should never have conversations with Sisko, instead giving the necessary information in one go.
DS9: "Hippocratic Oath." I can't cover this one briefly except to say that I don't like "O'Brien Must Suffer" episodes at all.

TAS: "How Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth." I can't speak to the quality of TAS episodes, I haven't seen that many. I do hate the old chesnut of "aliens advanced a human society past what they could've done on their own" that cheap scifi keeps using. Frankly all of TAS deserves a second look in my opinion.
TNG: "We'll Always Have Paris." Too much technobabble but some good character work.

TNG: "Pen Pals." This one never worked because Data is supposed to be smarter than he's presented here AND the Prime Directive is presented as adaptable when it was specifically designed to not be. No contact with prewarp societies. Period, end of sentence. Not "a little contact", not "contact as long as we don't get caught", NONE.

ENT: "Acquisition". I don't care if the Ferengi never gave their names, this episode is still stupid. It's also another examples of the creators wanting to take the easy way out when writing episodes instead of, y'know, putting some work in.

TOS: "A Private Little War". IF the Prime Directive didn't exist I wouldn't mind seeing episodes like this more often. There are a lot of TOS episodes I wouldn't mind seeing variations of IF the Prime Directive didn't exist. But it does. Furthermore, TOS (and TNG for that matter) could've gotten a lot of mileage out of the galactic powers attempting to exploit prewarp societies without letting them know that they're being exploited by aliens. You know, continue the tradition of proxy wars that happened so often during the Cold War and even today. The Byrne comics told us how the Klingons and Romulans used EACH OTHER as proxies in the TOS era.

Nate the Great 09-04-2022 04:03 PM

A TNG parody of "Let it Go"-named "Make it So", of course

So, yeah, that happened. It almost reminds me of an early Newgrounds video.

DrWho42 09-06-2022 08:19 PM

finally saw piercing (2018). loved the use of miniatures in the movie!

NIX + GERBER + Piercing

Nate the Great 09-07-2022 06:48 PM

I may have mentioned that I'm a massive Cardcaptor Sakura fan (and still like Cardcaptors in an ironic sense). So of course I've seen the American theme, the Japanese theme, and the laughably bad Australian theme (how the guy that rhymed "Sakura" with "girl-a" sleeps at night is beyond me).

Today's wonderment is the South Korean theme, which seems to have absolutely nothing to do with the show.

After hearing that I had to track down as many other language versions as I could.

Spanish. This one seems to flow with the Japanese music better than most.

Vietnamese. This one sounds very '90s, I wonder if that was the intent.

Nate the Great 09-08-2022 07:27 PM

The Queen died today. She was never particularly important in my life, but she was a constant that it feels odd to lose.

It turns out that fanart of the Queen in a Starfleet uniform isn't that uncommon:

One of the worse modifications of her clothes into a TNG S1 uniform. Never did like that thing.

In a TOS-inspired dress

A rather scary image of her in Command Yellow

Knighting Patrick Stewart with a bat'leth

Nate the Great 09-08-2022 10:13 PM

A Star Trek Sudoku for Star Trek

Simon mentions owning a TNG pinball machine, so here are some soundbytes from it.

I've never played it, but through pop culture I remember Picard's line of "all hands, prepare for multiball!"

Listening to the soundtrack also reminds me of how much recent Trek has dropped the ball in terms of music.

Nate the Great 09-09-2022 01:35 AM

minutephysics and XKCD team up for a video...

What if Pluto was made out of Plutonium?

Nate the Great 09-10-2022 01:44 AM

CinemaSins covers the original Pinocchio

You have to watch it if only for the random TNG reference. Trust me, it's worth it.

DrWho42 09-11-2022 03:05 AM

kor skeete from the rehearsal answered my question about whether he heard of kor from star trek since his favourite subject is television trivia (he hadn't):

cameo

Nate the Great 09-11-2022 03:13 AM

An absolutely ludicrous LEGO device: a music box-style set of pegs that trigger hammers to hit pressure plates to trigger drum sounds in a synthesizer.

Nate the Great 09-11-2022 09:24 PM

Fiction Addiction covers The Brave Little Toaster To The Rescue.

I don't remember it being this insane. Then again, I have limited experience with the sequels to begin with. I guess I don't want to ruin my memories of the first one.

Nate the Great 09-12-2022 01:00 AM

Facebook meme time. If you love cats and/or hate inkjet printers, this one's for you.

Boy, do I hate inkjet printers. Laserjet forever!

Nate the Great 09-14-2022 12:39 AM

I enjoy watching videos of Power Rangers toys. I think I had an action figure or two, but never the Zords, too expensive.

Anyway, this Japanese set of Zord toys has way more points of articulation and details than the American set. Amazing.

Nate the Great 09-14-2022 03:21 PM

What if someone made the Sovereign-class have the same general outline as the Excelsior-class?

It's an interesting idea whether or not you think the design is appealing.

Nate the Great 09-14-2022 08:42 PM

A groanworthy joke courtesy of a Not Always Right commenter

Nate the Great 09-14-2022 11:38 PM

A new Trek filk song. I don't have the words, just watch it...