The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Persistent, Niggling Questions (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1410)

mudshark 12-05-2007 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtFielding (Post 75487)
A quasihemidemisemiquaver is an 128th note.

I could have told you that. Not something you see very often, though, except on some of those insane black-page pieces which no one ever actually performs.

LtFielding 12-06-2007 02:54 AM

Why do people like rap?

Nate the Great 12-06-2007 03:08 AM

Beats me. Why do people like opera when they can't understand the words?

LtFielding 12-06-2007 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 75499)
Beats me. Why do people like opera when they can't understand the words?

It doesn't give me migranes

Nate the Great 12-06-2007 08:52 AM

But do you LIKE it?

Chancellor Valium 12-06-2007 10:27 AM

Yes.

It's about the whole experience, not just that someone is singing in another language.

And if you have an understanding of a foreign language like Italian, you can probably understand at least some of an opera.

NAHTMMM 12-07-2007 04:33 PM

Sometimes the inability to understand the words helps ;) I can think of a LOT of "pop" songs that I might enjoy much more if I didn't know what the words were supposed to mean . . .

Nate the Great 12-07-2007 05:57 PM

How many people know that (at least at one point) the most hotly debated Dear Abby/Ann Landers topic was toilet paper orientation? Those were the days, huh?

What's the oddest thing you've ever seen served on a stick? You see, at the Minnesota State Fair (The Great Minnesota Get Together!), stuff on a stick is a cherished tradition. We go way beyond hot dogs and their derivatives.

What's that one custom flavor of ice cream that you've seen on a shelf that's made you go "huh? What inspired THIS one?"

Do you think there are more pro-pulp or anti-pulp people in the world?

PointyHairedJedi 12-07-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 75525)
What's the oddest thing you've ever seen served on a stick? You see, at the Minnesota State Fair (The Great Minnesota Get Together!), stuff on a stick is a cherished tradition. We go way beyond hot dogs and their derivatives.

What's that one custom flavor of ice cream that you've seen on a shelf that's made you go "huh? What inspired THIS one?"

My answer to both of those is khav khalash.

Nate the Great 12-13-2007 02:23 AM

Who's the single most powerful (mortal) being in Trek? If we include immortal, the Q/Organian debate could be quite messy. I'm not sure if a Borg Queen quite counts, because she needs the entire Collective and Borg infrastructure for her power, plus we've seen indications that even though individual host bodies are mortal, the Queen herself is a specific personality that occupies a series of bodies.

Chancellor Valium 12-13-2007 01:26 PM

Easy: The Sisko.

Nate the Great 12-13-2007 02:45 PM

Are Prophets mortal?

Chancellor Valium 12-13-2007 02:46 PM

This begs another question: Is Sisko a Prophet?

I'd say 'no', given that he appears not to have assumed their habits of speech, noncorporeality, or habit of turning up looking like people you're acquainted with.

Nate the Great 12-13-2007 03:35 PM

I'd assume that's more along the lines of "he knows better than to be one of those obstrusely incomprehensible omnipotent beings."

Okay, this isn't really PNQ, but maybe someone knows. This page says that Archie and Veronica are the Official Couple, not Archie and Betty. Huh? Putting aside the fact that the Love Triangle will never be resolved, how would an Archie/Veronica marriage last anyway? I'd have to imagine that it's the chase that intrigues Veronica, not to mention sheer stubborness. Could he really make her happy? And vice-versa for that matter. Hey, so I'm an Archie/Betty shipper, so what?

PointyHairedJedi 12-15-2007 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 75581)
Who's the single most powerful (mortal) being in Trek?

Chuck Norris. Just because we've never actually seen him on screen or in print, doesn't mean he isn't in there somewhere punching Borg and shooting Klingons.

Nate the Great 12-16-2007 01:51 AM

Um, okay...

Okay, here's a real PNQ...

Why do Canadians use the name Kraft Dinner? Putting aside the fact that macaroni and cheese isn't quite a full meal by itself (at least it's not SUPPOSED to be...), Kraft Dinner isn't really descriptive of anything in particular, least of all a specific style of macaroni and cheese.

mudshark 12-16-2007 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 75599)
Okay, here's a real PNQ...

Why do Canadians use the name Kraft Dinner? Putting aside the fact that macaroni and cheese isn't quite a full meal by itself (at least it's not SUPPOSED to be...), Kraft Dinner isn't really descriptive of anything in particular, least of all a specific style of macaroni and cheese.

Becaaauuuse:

Quote:

The product was originally marketed as Kraft Dinner, but is now known in the United States and other countries as Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. In the United Kingdom it is marketed as Cheesey Pasta, while in Canada it has retained its original name of Kraft Dinner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraft_Dinner
Canadians just stuck with the original name under which it was marketed by Kraft. Neither P nor N, particularly.

Your turn to look up something to which the answer can be found easily in seconds.

PointyHairedJedi 12-16-2007 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 75599)
Putting aside the fact that macaroni and cheese isn't quite a full meal by itself...

I could live on macaroni cheese. Granted, I wouldn't live for very long, but once I did die my bloated cheesy corpse would be wearing a smile.

Nate the Great 12-16-2007 06:23 PM

That answered absolutely nothing. I wasn't asking WHETHER, I was asking WHY. As in "WHY is it called Kraft Dinner?" I'm not bashing the product (in fact, both as a poor college student and now a poor ex-college student, it is a staple), I'm just asking why it's called what it is in Canada.

Nate the Great 12-16-2007 07:16 PM

Would Ocarina of Time have been more fun or too easy if the Iron Boots and Hover Boots had been equippable as C-items instead of having to manually switching them in the subscreens?