The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Thank you for logging in, Ginga. (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1683)

Ginga 06-01-2016 03:13 AM

Thank you for logging in, Ginga.

You last visited: 09-04-2010 at 09:21 PM

My goodness, and even at that time I remember it had been a while. I was into Stargate by that time! Sheesh sheesh sheesh...

My friend has been watching random episodes of Voyager for the first time, and I've joined her for quite a few of them. It's been years since I sat down and watched the later seasons (my favorite seasons!) but seeing those doofballs in their flappy nacelle ship brought me right back to being 16, watching reruns every Sunday with my friend, carrying my love for Janeway every darn place I went like some kind of happy-go-lucky mirror universe Atlas.

I just turned 28 a few weekends ago. I always get the happy birthday e-mails from 5MV; really, I look forward to them every year. Of course one of my first thoughts while being pummeled with Voyager memories was of this place. I think I always felt a little out my league here, wanting so badly to be one of the rad dudes that gets their name in a fiver, feeling my age compared to all these grown-up college-age folks who were studying important things and building their real lives. But even feeling that way, I was welcomed. Even feeling like some dumb kid stumbling around an adult party, I had a place here (I still remember how overjoyed I felt seeing my name in a fiver for the first time.)

16 was hard. When I first came here, it was in the bar none toughest period of my life to date (this had to have been immediately obvious to anyone with access to my Livejournal). I was so screwed up, and the things happening around me were so screwed up, but when I'd successfully made it through each day, I could come here to feel less screwed up. I could read fivers and actually laugh, talk to people afterwards, just plain have a nice time. I could do that at a time when, literally, my reality had significantly altered and I had no choice but to struggle through processing it. I was not a happy kid, but I could come here at the end of each day and feel, well, a little less unhappy.

There's a lot I don't remember of that time, honestly (that's the fun of clinical depression - the swiss cheese holes where memories should be!) I remember excising 5MV and Voyager from my life because it was causing too much pain to remember being 16 and messed up. I remember saying things to people that weren't nice. I remember being angry, all the time.

Luckily it's a lot easier now to look back and remember the things that were good, the things that lifted me up at a time when I so desperately needed any lift I could get. It's a lot easier to fondly watch Janeway wrecking shit with phaser rifles and pounding back coffee like it won't exist tomorrow. It's a lot easier to come here, read some top 10 lists again, and say thanks, to everyone who was there at that time, for welcoming me inside this (rather subdued, actually) crazy house. (A crazy house full of eerily calm math and science nerds...)

I hope everyone is doing well. I wish I could name names, but there's that whole swiss cheese thing again.

NAHTMMM 06-05-2016 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginga (Post 80512)
(I still remember how overjoyed I felt seeing my name in a fiver for the first time.)

Yeah, that was a great feeling. :D

I'm glad we could help you through a rough time and glad you seem to have moved past it. And any "mean" things you may have said to me are long forgiven. :)

Ginga 06-06-2016 01:34 AM

Thanks, NAH. Yeah, I remember something funky, but beyond that, the cheese takes over. I remember feeling bad about it, though. :D

You and KJ got married, right?

NAHTMMM 06-08-2016 12:44 AM

Yep! And we just had a baby boy. :)

Well, I say "we", but obviously KJ did most of the work.

evay 06-09-2016 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAHTMMM (Post 80517)
Yep! And we just had a baby boy. :)

Well, I say "we", but obviously KJ did most of the work.

Congratulations! 8) Kids are awesome.

Ginga 10-26-2016 12:52 AM

I just saw the thread with the little squirt. Congrats to you both. :D

There's one more relevant thing I can mention here. Not long after I made this post, my friend and I decided to start watching DS9 together. In all these years, I still haven't seen it, and neither has she, so every night for the past few months, we've Netflixed it and chatted with each other while we watched it. It is... just tremendously good. Only a few episodes in, we looked at each other (as much as you can look at someone across the Internet) and said, "Yeah, so, I guess this really is the best Star Trek; those people aren't kidding."

We only have ten episodes left with Jadzia before we get wrecked forever. :(

Katy Jane 10-26-2016 03:13 AM

It took me a while to get around to DS9 too and once I watched it I wondered why it took me so long to. I loved it.

Ginga 11-15-2017 03:07 AM

I had a dream I changed my forum icon to Jadzia. Maybe there's something to that, huh?

The real reason I'm popping in is that my friend and I - the one with whom I watched DS9 - started Enterprise a few weeks ago. Now, I remember when it was on, and how I thought it was awfully dull at the time. But maybe now it's had time to age, because we're enjoying it quite a bit.

Trip Hammered also popped into my head as we've been watching, and I was happy to see it still exists. :) I also saw a Trip Hammered while playing Star Trek Timelines! Is that you, evay...?

Flying Gremlin 11-16-2017 06:15 PM

Hi. You won't remember me, because I wasn't here when you were. But hi nonetheless.

Ginga 11-17-2017 01:35 AM

Hi! When did you start being here? When did -I- start being here? Dang.

Wowbagger 11-18-2017 09:54 AM

FG's new! But awesome.

Sincerely,
Wowbagger
(who, with 10 years' membership, is also "new" by the standards of this forum)

Flying Gremlin 11-18-2017 08:09 PM

I don't know my awesomeness status, but I came here in 2015.

And according to this forum, Ginga, your join date was 06-19-2004.

NAHTMMM 11-30-2017 02:41 AM

Key idea being this forum, as the previous forum got lost in an update.

Edit: although I'm a year earlier, so maybe Ginga wasn't on the previous incarnation.

evay 11-30-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginga (Post 81102)
Trip Hammered also popped into my head as we've been watching, and I was happy to see it still exists. :) I also saw a Trip Hammered while playing Star Trek Timelines! Is that you, evay...?

ooh, sorry I missed this! I am not on Timelines, alas. My sweetie was for a while earlier this year but I think he dropped it. I don't think he was using TripHammered as a username, though.

My website will stay up as long as I have somewhere to host it, creaky as it is. And I apparently joined the forum in April 2004. good gods, we've been around a while.