The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Lets Get Friendly! (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1079)

Burt 05-23-2006 04:59 PM

Lets Get Friendly!

The wonder that is the Nintendo DS just got a new amazing game - Metroid Prime: Hunters.
There's a few pretty good Games for the DS that are Wi-Fi now. Hunters, Mario kart, Animal Farm.
So if anyone on here has a DS with a Wi-Fi game and wants a match, put your 'Friend Code' up on here.
I will start with mine!

Liam - 004357379587

On the subject, I remember a friend remarked to me, not five years ago, about the Game Boy (just before the Advanced), saying that it would be amazing when you have real proper computer games on a hand held. I guessed that it would take a while for that kinda thing, and we both concluded that it would be a long, long way off.
Cut to 2006, and we have First person shooters, with total 3D...On a hand held.
Amazing.
Imagine what computers will be like in just 20 years time.

e of pi 05-23-2006 10:00 PM

Quote:

On the subject, I remember a friend remarked to me, not five years ago, about the Game Boy (just before the Advanced), saying that it would be amazing when you have real proper computer games on a hand held. I guessed that it would take a while for that kinda thing, and we both concluded that it would be a long, long way off.
Cut to 2006, and we have First person shooters, with total 3D...On a hand held.
Amazing.
Imagine what computers will be like in just 20 years time.
You will be assimiltaed!

Or:

EXTERMINATE!

Take your pick.

Zeke 05-23-2006 11:33 PM

I don't have my DS yet, but I'll post my code when I do.

PointyHairedJedi 05-26-2006 10:21 PM

DS? Hah! I'm still wallowing back in the days of the Pocket! :P

MaverickZer0 05-27-2006 12:49 AM

You guys are making me want a DS. All I have is my GBA...
...and it's not even SP. *Sniffle.*

Burt 05-27-2006 12:57 AM

I still love my GBA. A little piece of history. When I first saw Doom running on it......well, I just cried! Doom! On a Handheld!

I've just got a DS micro too, from Ebay. For Ł50! (About.....$80-$95ish)

God bless Nintendo!

Lostoyannaya 05-27-2006 07:48 AM

I've always wanted one of the original Gameboys...you know, the really huawge ones? Failing that, I'll stick with my 'Pocket :D

~~Lostoyannaya

mark726 05-27-2006 04:33 PM

I have two floating around the house somewhere. Still work, and mine still has Pokemon blue in it...

Chancellor Valium 05-28-2006 11:28 PM

^Me too, 'cept mine's got "Solar Striker" in it, IIRC...

MaverickZer0 05-29-2006 12:19 AM

...I still play my old GB and GBC.
....And I've linked them to trade Pokémon between versions so I could keep the old ones when starting a new game.
...Oh, and there's also Mega Man V. And Tetris DX. I'm not a total Pokémon freak.

Burt 05-29-2006 09:31 PM

I had forgotten all about Tetris. I've now spent about 4 hours on it! The music is inside my brain!

Zeke 05-29-2006 10:20 PM

I still consider the original GBA superior to the SP. The horizontal layout was a beautiful merging of handhelds and controllers; I'll never get why Nintendo went back on it so fast. But they seem to have come around now, as the DS and the Micro are arranged horizontally.

I have a Micro, and it's an absolute joy to play -- I just wish it were backwards compatible. You can't play any pre-GBA games on it or even use a standard link cable. Like Mav, I still play GB/GBC games (most recently Gargoyle's Quest, and the Zelda Oracle games are in the mail), so I keep my original GBA around for that and the occasional GameCube linkup.

By the way, those of you who don't read my LJ will find this post topical.

Burt 05-29-2006 10:39 PM

I did like the GBA, but I have to say, the screen was simply terrible to see. Ironicly for a 'on-the-move ' game system, it worked best inside under a lamp. The SP had a backlight on it. Plus the SP did have a that cool, flicking motion..ala' Star Trek...which I may or may not have done. But it was really hard to hold. For someone small, maybe, but I've fairly big hands, so it's a problem for me. I get this problem with the stylus for the DS, so I'm glad of the new DS, with it's longer stylus. Yep, sometimes, size really does matter. But I rather the Horizontal layout. Would be nice if you could play all the old Gameboy games on it too( the DS), but I understand Nintendos problem. It would mean the DS costed more and more things would need to be stuck inside it.

MaverickZer0 05-30-2006 04:49 AM

Heh. I would make a game collection page, it would simply take me a lot of time with what I'm working on right now as well. (HTML Coding. Ugh. Easy to do, long-winded thing though.)

Nate the Great 05-30-2006 11:31 AM

Yeah, I'm still on classic GBA. I've used a friend's SP and I'm not so sure about the idea:

SP Pros:
Rechargable battery (note, I actually have one of those third-party grips for the GBA that have the rechargable battery inside it, and I absolutely love it. Funny, huh, that I prefer to make the already-larger GBA even bigger, huh? :wink: )
Backlit screen (okay, I concede that this is a good thing, but sometimes I've noticed a "washed-out" look to them that is just horrible)

SP Cons:
Who builds a handheld without a headphone jack built right in? That was absolutely idiotic! I do not want to stick a dongle onto a miniature device to add headphone capability. It should be an amendment in the constitution: All handheld video game systems MUST have headphone jacks!
The size factor. Absolutely hideous. Not only are the buttons too close together, but the screen always seems to be at a horrible angle. They really should've made the hinge capable of swiveling 180 degrees, right?

On a similar note, who else has seen the fake photo of a handheld Gamecube? Great concept, but that would be impossible at that size. Make it a bit larger, but it'd be awesome, huh?

Burt 06-01-2006 08:17 PM

Quote:

On a similar note, who else has seen the fake photo of a handheld Gamecube? Great concept, but that would be impossible at that size. Make it a bit larger, but it'd be awesome, huh?
Kinda like the thing I was saying before, about the DS and PSP. 5 years ago I would never believed I could be playing Mario 64, Resident Evil, a First person shooting game, or a real Mario Kart on a handheld. Give it a few years....what will they have then?