The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Futurama - in memoriam (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50)

Katy Jane 08-12-2003 10:58 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]I didn't start watching futurama until recently, when i bought the first season on DVD and even then have had trouble watching newer episodes because I'm never home on Sundays. but I managed to catch Sunday's episode with out realizing until the end that it was the last one. i think its a shame to see it go. I feel that it was much better that the recent episodes of the Simpson's and that fox is probably making a mistake, but at least I'll always have the DVD's

Well there's the eulogy, please feel free to add your memories or condolences.[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke 08-12-2003 11:31 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]I saw the Futurama pilot when it first aired and hated it. There were a few really good jokes, like the suicide booths and Bender reaching up to bend the grate after they'd gone through, but the show didn't seem very promising to me. Fortunately, it was a steep uphill climb in quality from there. By Season 2, the show was already more consistently funny than the Simpsons was that year, and while I think the latter show is doing better lately, Futurama never lost that laugh-a-minute quality.

I owe my recent interest in the show to Kira -- her constant references and quotes reminded me I hadn't been keeping up with it lately. I'm glad I got back into Futurama, and I'll miss it now that it's gone.[/color:post_uid0]

Kira 08-12-2003 11:49 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]:crying: I saw the last ten minutes of the finale without realizing it was the finale. Â What I did see was great... and that also explains the ambiguous yet happy Fry/Leela ending.

Stupid Fox. Â Futurama never had a chance.

It's hard to choose favorites, but I'd have to go with "Amazon Women in the Mood" (fun fact: Suzie Plakston was one of the voices here) and "Where No Fan Has Gone Before." Â Oh, and anything with the chauvenistic Zapp Brannigan:

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate."

"The quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in."

Kif: "The holo-shed's on the fritz again. Â The characters turned real."
Zapp: "Damn! Â The last time that happened, I got slapped with three paternity suits."

Zapp: "Listen, up, history's greatest villains -- get back into the holo-shed before I start blasting."
Holo-Attila the Hun: "Stop! Â No shoot fire-stick in space canoe! Â Cause explosive decompression!"
Zapp: "Spare me your space-age technobabble, Attila the Hun."
(ZAP! BANG! Â WHOOOOOSH!)

Ah, Zapp... you and your idiocy will be missed.[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm 08-12-2003 11:55 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Zap: You! Ensign! What's your name?
Disguised Decapodian: Uhh... Hugh Mann.
Zap: There's a dependable name. Take this disc of highly important command codes and stick them in the main computer
(Decapodian leaves and can be seen on the main viewscreen flying the command codes to the enemy fleet)

Al Gore: (playing D&D) I'm a 10th level vice president.[/color:post_uid0]

Opium 08-13-2003 08:05 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Of all the cartoons, it was the most...humanlikewierdshow

I missed the last ep...darn Armagadan movie....

I only got to watch in the summer, due to other activities, and the odd ep, and this show WAS indeed odd. Futurama was great! Wierd, funny, well-written, and never too proud to be stupid, yet always bringing back the smarts. Fox is making a BIG mistake...Futurama is, well, was, one of its best shows. Somehow, Fox manages to keep some shows running until they really, really, REALLY suck, like Ally McBeal, yet they rip Futurama off the air while the jokes are fresh, not even a bit stale at all.

Futurama-Wierd. Funny. Fun.[/color:post_uid0]

Derek 08-13-2003 12:16 PM

[quote:post_uid0="Opium"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Fox is making a BIG mistake.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Fox has been making BIG mistakes since Sliders (perhaps before that, but Sliders was the first time I noticed). They don't seem to want shows to succeed. They don't invest in them; they don't air them at consistent times; and then they cancel them too early.

I used to watch Fox's Sunday Night line-up a while ago. I'd watch Simpsons, whatever came next, and then X-Files. The smartest thing Fox ever did was to put different shows in between those two, so people would watch the shows and get to like them and then Fox would move the show to a different night so something else could go in between. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I watched Futurama, Family Guy, That 70s Show, Malcolm in the Middle, and anything else they might have put in there on Sunday night, but when they moved it to a different night, I didn't follow.

So all that to say, I didn't really watch much Futurama. I've seen a few episodes here or there, and I [i:post_uid0]love[/i:post_uid0] "Where No Fan...", but unfortunately I have not seen it all. I'd like to watch it, but it doesn't seem to come on at convenient times for me anymore. And [i:post_uid0]that's[/i:post_uid0] why I need a Tivo, darnit.[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste 08-13-2003 02:16 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]I will sadly miss Futurama. I didn't realize that they were even canceling the show, but that same day it aired I was checking to see if my local UPN was going to air some DS9 episodes in the next two weeks and noticed that on tv.yahoo.com they had a picture of the futurama cast and they said it was the series finale. <<whoa run on sentance>> Anyway I forgot about it until 7pm and I just happend to be searching my tv directory at 6:59 and I noticed Futurama and flicked it on. I thought it was a wonderful episode and it's about time that Leela and Fry got together :)

I haven't watched the show much in the last seasons because Fox had it on at the must terrible time. I always forgot about the show and could never remember. (I am normaly watching Discovery channel at 7)

Another show that I hate Fox for kicking off their air was The Family Guy. I know that a lot of people didn't like that show but that's probably because they're not from Rhode Island and don't get the subtle jokes that I get. hehe Anyway I don't really watch anything on Fox now, futurama was the last show that i'd actualy turn on if I saw it. Hopefuly a nice tv station will pick up the syndicates and put them on at a time that I can remember. :)[/color:post_uid0]

Sa'ar Chasm 08-13-2003 05:54 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Fox has been making BIG mistakes since Sliders [/quote:post_uid0]

It's Fox. Need more be said?[/color:post_uid0]

O'Pipp 08-13-2003 06:10 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Ah! Ah! Must not read...., I don't want to know a thing about any ambiguous endings, seeing as they're not showing the finale for another 2/3 weeks here. But just for the record, I also hate Fox, with a burning passion. They made my sister cry when she heard the show was cancelled - I know that's slightly sad, but they will pay... vengence, etc.

It was also the only tv programme we could bond over, in the history of the world, ever. In fact it is - or was the only thing we could talk to each other about, whatsoever. Fox breaks up families. Â :crying:[/color:post_uid0]

Kira 08-13-2003 07:22 PM

[quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000:post_uid0]It's Fox. Â Need more be said?[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Homer: This Friday, we're going back to the woods and we're going to find that alien!
Bart: What if we don't?
Homer: We'll fake it, and sell it to the Fox network.
Bart: (chuckles) They'll buy [i:post_uid0]anything[/i:post_uid0].
Homer: Now, son, they do a lot of quality programming, too.
(Bart and Homer burst out laughing)
Homer: I kill me.[/color:post_uid0]

NeoMatrix 08-14-2003 03:26 AM

[quote:post_uid0="Sa'ar Chasm"][color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Fox has been making BIG mistakes since Sliders [/quote:post_uid0]

It's Fox. Â Need more be said?[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]What about 24 and American Idol?[/color:post_uid0]

Zeke 08-14-2003 03:44 AM

[quote:post_uid0="NeoMatrix"][color=#000000:post_uid0]What about... American Idol?[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Are you kidding? That show singlehandedly reduced us to the state we're in now.[/color:post_uid0]

Things Are Good 08-14-2003 07:26 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]It's a very happy thing that Cartoon Network picked up Family Guy and Futurama in repeats.[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste 08-14-2003 12:31 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Yes yes yes, but they're on at 11pm here. Once I start school i'm so exhausted I can't make it past 10.[/color:post_uid0]

Katy Jane 08-14-2003 01:40 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]I don't have cable so that means no star trek no TNG voyager and no Futurama. i guess thats why God created the DVD. i've spent the last couple of days watching the second set of DVDs.[/color:post_uid0]

Hejira 08-16-2003 01:11 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]*sniffle*

Need to download every episode and make tribute music vid or something...[/color:post_uid0]

FatMatDuhRat 08-16-2003 02:20 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Zeke"][quote:post_uid0="NeoMatrix"]What about... American Idol?[/quote:post_uid0]
Are you kidding? Â That show singlehandedly reduced us to the state we're in now.[/quote:post_uid0]
That show caused the tremendous blackout earlier this week.

That show caused Kobe Briant to cheat on his wife.

That show caused Howard Stern to start going on vacation every Friday.

That show caused my car battery to die.

That show caused the last update of 5MV to be delayed.

I like many things on TV (Futurama is one, they have it on Cartoon Network) but I also hate many things, and [b:post_uid0][i:post_uid0]that show[/i:post_uid0][/b:post_uid0] is one of the things that I hate.[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark 08-16-2003 06:16 PM

[quote:post_uid0="FatMat426"][color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Zeke"][quote:post_uid0="NeoMatrix"]What about... American Idol?[/quote:post_uid0]
Are you kidding? Â That show singlehandedly reduced us to the state we're in now.[/quote:post_uid0]
[...]

That show caused Howard Stern to start going on vacation every Friday.

[...][/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]That's one small ray of sunshine, but not good enough. :p[/color:post_uid0]

taya17 08-19-2003 12:48 AM

[quote:post_uid0="Katy Jane"][color=#000000:post_uid0]i guess thats why God created the DVD. i've spent the last couple of days watching the second set of DVDs.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]DVD: God's gift to mankind. What? I mean, it's true![/color:post_uid0]

ijdgaf 08-20-2003 04:57 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]I just bought Volume One of the DVD sets.

Damn, that's good television -- no wonder it was cancelled.

I plan on buying Volume Two within the day.[/color:post_uid0]