The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Sci-Fi crap in everyday life (aka How bored do you think I am?) (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1424)

Burt 10-11-2007 09:04 AM

Sci-Fi crap in everyday life (aka How bored do you think I am?)

I did put down a few weird Sci-Fi things I'd come across while at work on a thread somewhere. I forget where or which one now, so I started a new thread. Because I'm bored. And you should never be bored at work!

At work:
-A series of servers called D.WHO 1-10 (Actually it stands for 'Doncaster')
-A robot called a 'Cravoc' Unit
-Area I work in is called 'Operations' or 'Ops'
-Specific area is called ....The Bridge
-A tape drive called D'Kora
And we've just commissioned an orbital spacestation called EarthDock.
ahem
-Plus I found a packet of bonbons the other day, by none other the THE DOMINION tm Nice to see the Founders branching out?

Burt 10-11-2007 09:08 AM

Oh yeah, forgot to say, add stuff to the list. Sci-Fi stuff. If you can be bothered. Not that important. We'll live if you don't.

NAHTMMM 10-11-2007 04:08 PM

The professor with whom I work in the microscopy lab has referred to the spinny-quasi-airlocks* separating the microscope room from the hallway as "transporters".

*They're like revolving doors, except instead of having revolving glass panes radiating out from a central post, there's a revolving black plastic panel that encloses about 4/5 of the "airlock" space. Result being you can't see inside the room when you're in the hallway and vice versa, just like with a transporter.

Chancellor Valium 10-11-2007 04:22 PM

I have an image of those DS9 airlock-doors that are shaped like cogs. Getting warm?

Burt 10-12-2007 06:31 AM

They are so cool. Rather impractical, probably dangerous, but look wicked!
We have a weird glass tube thing where I work. The first half slides open, to let you in, then slides shut. You stand there will it clicks and checks your ID badge and to make sure you've no bad stuff with you, then the other side slides open. Thats a little weird. Again, its cool though.

Sa'ar Chasm 10-12-2007 06:33 PM

There was one of those things at the entrance to the darkroom in my highschool, except I called it a turbolift rather than a transporter (because from the outside, the door itself bore a passing resemblance to a turbolift door on the Enterprise). The idea was to let people in without letting light in.

PointyHairedJedi 10-13-2007 03:51 PM

Was that so that they then wouldn't be able to see the huge spike-lined pit on the other side?

Sa'ar Chasm 10-13-2007 06:12 PM

*shiftyeyes* Nnnnnooooooo...

Burt 11-09-2007 05:38 PM

We've got a online service desk called Peregrine... Like the 'Peregrine class' the Maquis use...