The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Trek quote game (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1615)

Wowbagger 06-17-2012 06:11 AM

Trek quote game

Rules:

(1) Name the source episode.
(2) Guessers must get it from memory; no Google or reference books.
(3) Two guesses allowed per post.
(4) You can guess again as soon as someone else has guessed.
(5) First to answer correctly must give the next quote.

We'll begin with this classic: "I love all jazz, except Dixieland."

Nate the Great 06-17-2012 01:06 PM

Minuet in "10011001", or whatever that binary number is. She doesn't like Dixieland because you can't dance to it.

"I'm staring into the abyss. And the worst part is, my only hope for salvation is the Federation."

Sa'ar Chasm 06-17-2012 04:25 PM

Quark in...uhhh...the DS9 episode where the Klingons invade Cardassia, whining to Garak about how his bar will go broke because there won't be anymore Cardassians to buy his fish sauce or the corn syrup they call booze.

I think.

"A simple yes would have sufficed."

Zeke 06-17-2012 07:51 PM

Picard in "Where Silence Has Lease". Great episode. (And the DS9 ep is called "Way of the Warrior".)

"No good deed goes unpunished."

Wowbagger 06-18-2012 01:00 AM

"The Enemy". It's also the 285th Rule of Acquisition, so it must show up elsewhere, but I know it only from LaForge's line in "The Enemy."

Next up: "They had brains the size of a walnut. That's very small."

Zeke 06-18-2012 05:05 AM

That's a really funny coincidence. Archer says that in "Azati Prime" when he's getting beaten up -- and the one I actually had in mind for my quote is another such episode, namely "The Andorian Incident." (Trip says it there.) It came to my mind because I happened to make the TV Tropes page for this idea; I should've remembered there was more than one Trek example.

[ETA: I just checked; "The Collaborator" and "The Sound of Her Voice" are the episodes where Quark quotes that particular rule. It's the 285th and last.]

"I know you'll try. And I know you'll FAIL!"

Zeke 06-19-2012 07:02 PM

Since it's been a day now, I'll narrow it down: the episode is from VOY S2.

Zeke 06-20-2012 05:09 AM

No one? It's from "Threshold". Tom's accelerated evolution comes with a nervous breakdown, and the quote is from a startling bit where he lashes out at Janeway (right into a forcefield). I've made as much fun of that episode as anybody, but it's not all bad; McNeill is good in it, and there are dialogue and character beats that are worthwhile. Only the plot and premise are irredeemable.

Since nobody got mine, I'll go again.

"Perhaps the words are more important than the man."

Wowbagger 06-20-2012 06:12 AM

I don't think it's First Contact, but it's the kind of thing you say about a famous person right after unexpectedly meeting him/her...

Ooo. "The Savage Curtain." Maybe?

Zeke 06-20-2012 08:26 AM

Nope. I wonder if NAHTMMM's around... this one is a dead giveaway if you've read a particular Trek novel, and he's read a lot of them.

NAHTMMM 06-20-2012 08:10 PM

Oh! Oh, um . . . drawing a blank. Wowbagger's guess was a good one, though. :) It sounds like something Data might say.

KJ thinks it sounds familiar, but she can't place it either.

I'm going to guess it's the movie First Contact though. (Wowbagger didn't actually guess it, after all.) Considering what we see of Cochrane in that, and how important he is in Federation, and all that.

[edit] Actually, you know what, I think Picard says it at some point. (KJ agrees.)

Zeke 06-20-2012 10:50 PM

Right series, wrong speaker. Hint: The line is said to Worf.

(Heh, the login form just asked "Remember Me?" Nope, wrong episode.)

NAHTMMM 06-21-2012 12:24 AM

Yeah, it's the one where they fuss over Kahless showing up again, isn't it. I don't know the name.

Zeke 06-21-2012 03:53 AM

There ya go. The episode is "Rightful Heir". The Kahless clone is arguing that Worf shouldn't agonize over the actual truth of his faith, because "If [Kahless'] words hold wisdom and his philosophy is honourable, what does it really matter if he returns?" (It's a good speech, but could only have been written by someone who just does not get religion at all, concept or execution.)

The book where that line comes up again is <i>Kahless</i> by Michael Jan Friedman. It's an odd book continuing an odd storyline. In it, we learn that (a) Kahless was just a guy, and (b) it doesn't matter, because the current Kahless wasn't even cloned from the just-a-guy Kahless, but from his friend Morath. The clone didn't know this, and when he's struggling with the revelation, Worf turns the speech from "Rightful Heir" back on him for encouragement. It's sort of a "You are a TOY!" moment.

Identifying an episode uniquely should count as a win even without remembering the title, no? You're up next, NAH.

NAHTMMM 06-21-2012 01:57 PM

Haven't read that one.

Okay, let's go with an easy one:

"We’re human beings with the blood of a million savage years on our hands, but we can stop it. We can admit that we’re killers, but we’re not going to kill today. That’s all it takes. Knowing that we won’t kill today."

Zeke 06-22-2012 02:17 AM

Ah, the classic Kirk speech from "A Taste of Armageddon". The whole not-to-kill-today thing sounds trivial but is really kind of profound.

Here's a line I gave to Phlox in a fiver once: "What you call genocide, I call a day's work." Where's it really from?

Zeke 06-23-2012 05:24 AM

No takers so far? Okay, it's from early DS9. (When Wowbagger and I were playing this game on Facebook originally, we used a deadline of 24 hours before revealing the answer, or at least narrowing it down. Seems sensible to do so here too.)

Nate the Great 06-23-2012 01:11 PM

Ugh. SF Debris reviewed this one recently. That Cardassian clerk who was feeling so ashamed of his minimal involvement with the Occupation that he was pretending to be a major war criminal.

Zeke 06-23-2012 05:23 PM

You don't like "Duet"? Wow. But yeah, that's where it's from. You're up next.

Nate the Great 06-23-2012 06:22 PM

No, the "ugh" was mostly shame at knowing this one. It's a relatively obscure episode, and I never would've known without the SF Debris review.

"It'll take years just to decipher this matrix."