The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Favourite comedy series? (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=235)

Nic Corelli 11-09-2003 07:09 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]So... what`s your favourite television comedy series? :)

I just love 3rd Rock from the Sun, Seinfeld and Malcolm in the Middle. And currently my absolute favourite is Scrubs. A brilliant little show! Â :D

However, my all-time favourites are definitely the British comedies - Fawlty Towers, Monty Python`s Flying Circuis and especially Yes, Prime Minister. In case you haven`t seen it, it`s an incredibly sophisticated yet outrageously funny political satire... I just adore it!

So, how about you folks? :)[/color:post_uid0]

Celeste 11-09-2003 08:23 PM

[quote:post_uid0="Nic Corelli"][color=#000000:post_uid0]And currently my absolute favourite is Scrubs. A brilliant little show! :D[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]You're my new best friend! I love that show. Curse NBC for messing with it every other week.[/color:post_uid0]

entei 11-09-2003 10:06 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well, being an eternal pessimist and moaner myself :suspicious:, I have to admit to having a softspot for a little comedy known as One Foot In The Grave. Â :D

(I wonder how well known that is outside the UK. :S )[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi 11-09-2003 10:16 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]A Y(P)M fan! Coolness. I love this show. In fact I have YM series 1 and 2 on DVD.

What's your favourite episode?

EDIT: "I don't believe it!" :lol:[/color:post_uid0]

NAHTMMM 11-10-2003 12:19 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]I guess "Home Improvement". About the only others I'm interested in are "Keeping Up Appearances" and "The Red Green Show".[/color:post_uid0]

taya17 11-10-2003 12:25 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]This is a public service announcement. [b:post_uid0]17 is hermit who doesn't watch TV.[/b:post_uid0] Thank you for listening.[/color:post_uid0]

Opium 11-10-2003 02:08 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]If 17 doesnt watch tv, how does she watch sci-fi? Unless...is it sci-TRUTH?

Anyways, I like...Simpsons, Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances, Royal Canadian Air Farce, At Home with The Braitwaites,Six Feet Under. Now if just college left any time to watch them...[/color:post_uid0]

taya17 11-10-2003 05:11 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="Opium"]If 17 doesnt watch tv, how does she watch sci-fi?[/quote:post_uid0]
On computers. ;)

But honestly, I [i:post_uid0]would[/i:post_uid0] watch sci-fi on TV if they'd just [i:post_uid0]let[/i:post_uid0] me. But what are the chances that really good sci-fi will be broadcast in my country at a timeslot that begins before twelve midnight (if at all)?

You got it right, none absolutely. Â :swear:[/color:post_uid0]

NeoMatrix 11-10-2003 07:10 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]I love 3rd Rock from the Sun (I wonder where the reruns are?), Home Improvement, Seinfield, Friends, and many others.[/color:post_uid0]

catalina_marina 11-10-2003 11:05 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]I think I've seen about all episodes of 3rd Rock from the Sun, so I don't watch it anymore. I don't really like the reruns.
I have watched Friends, but I don't anymore.
Sometimes I watch Scrubs though, if I can catch it.[/color:post_uid0]

Derek 11-10-2003 01:08 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]The only current comedy that I make an effort to watch is [b:post_uid0]Duck Dodgers[/b:post_uid0] on Cartoon Network. That show is hilarious and has a lot of good spoofs.[/color:post_uid0]

Nic Corelli 11-10-2003 02:04 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="PointyHairedJedi"]A Y(P)M fan! Coolness. I love this show. In fact I have YM series 1 and 2 on DVD.

What's your favourite episode?

EDIT: "I don't believe it!" Â :lol:[/quote:post_uid0]
"Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" rock! :) I`ve recorded almost all episodes on video.

Favourite episode? Hmmm... It`s a hard decision to make, all of them are excellent. Maybe "The Smoke Screen", when the Prime Minister promoted chain-smoking Minister for Sport to Minister for Health, :D

Or, "The Devil You Know":

Minister: "You know, Humphrey, I think we`ve become very close over the past year. We have bonded.
Humphrey: "We did, Minister..."
Minister: "Like a terrorist and his hostage."

:D :D :D[/color:post_uid0]

mudshark 11-10-2003 04:21 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]The closest thing to a current comedy series that I liked was the live-action version of [i:post_uid0]The Tick[/i:post_uid0], which was so frequently preempted by election coverage in 2000 that it never caught hold. (Can't get NBC here, so I've never seen [i:post_uid0]Scrubs[/i:post_uid0].)

Looking back a bit, there are, of course, [i:post_uid0]Monty Python's Flying Circus[/i:post_uid0] and [i:post_uid0]Blackadder[/i:post_uid0], and I have fond memories of such shows as [i:post_uid0]My Favorite Martian[/i:post_uid0] and [i:post_uid0]Get Smart![/i:post_uid0] Mention is also due to [i:post_uid0]Police Squad[/i:post_uid0] and the short-lived Buck Henry/Mel Brooks creation [i:post_uid0]When Things Were Rotten[/i:post_uid0].[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi 11-10-2003 04:28 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]Favourite episode? Hmmm... It`s a hard decision to make, all of them are excellent. Maybe "The Smoke Screen", when the Prime Minister promoted chain-smoking Minister for Sport to Minister for Health,[/quote:post_uid0]

One of the ones I've not seen. Which in fact covers most of YPM unfortunately.

"Big Brother" and "The Death List" are my favourites out of all the ones that I have seen.

Reporter: How would you like to be an informed source?
Hacker: Okay....informed source.
Reporter: It's quite a joke really, isn't it? Describing someone as informed when his Permanent Secretary is Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Cracks me up every time.

[quote:post_uid0]Are You Being Served[/quote:post_uid0]

Are you serious?[/color:post_uid0]

Nic Corelli 11-12-2003 09:12 PM

[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="PointyHairedJedi"][quote:post_uid0]Favourite episode? Hmmm... It`s a hard decision to make, all of them are excellent. Maybe "The Smoke Screen", when the Prime Minister promoted chain-smoking Minister for Sport to Minister for Health,[/quote:post_uid0]

One of the ones I've not seen. Which in fact covers most of YPM unfortunately.

"Big Brother" and "The Death List" are my favourites out of all the ones that I have seen.

Reporter: How would you like to be an informed source?
Hacker: Okay....informed source.
Reporter: It's quite a joke really, isn't it? Describing someone as informed when his Permanent Secretary is Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Cracks me up every time.[/quote:post_uid0]
Oh yes, it cracks me up every time as well, :D

Do you remember this?

Humphrey: Minister, you must somehow punish the Derbyshire county for not sending their annual report.
Jim: And why must they send that report at all?
Humphrey: Because the Government information must be complete!
Jim: But the Government information is nonsense.
Bernard: Yes, but Sir Humphrey wants it to be a complete nonsense.

or...

Humphrey: Can you imagine? The Minister wants to take the money away from the art gallery, and give it to a sports club.
Humphrey`s friend: Taking the money from the arts, and giving it to ordinary people? To enjoy themselves?
Humphrey: Yes, we can`t let that happen.[/color:post_uid0]

PointyHairedJedi 11-14-2003 12:52 AM

[color=#000000:post_uid0]That first one I don't remember (series three I'm guessing), but the second is from "The Middle-Class Rip-Off".

Another good 'un -

Sir Arnold: But once they have accepted the principle that senior civil servants could be removed for incompetence, that would be the thin end of the wedge. We could loose dozens of our chaps, hundreds perhaps.
Humphrey: Thousands...[/color:post_uid0]