The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   August 14 (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=492)

Zeke 08-15-2004 04:14 AM

August 14

I've finished the details of the PHP system for 5MD, and the modularity I was talking about yesterday has proven just as handy as I thought -- I've now got 5ME and 5MST running on the same system. (Have a look at their index pages; the subsites' unique colour codes are now prominent somewhere other than here on the News page.)

I'm also experimenting with slight modifications to the fiver pages. Here's what Five-Minute "The Adversary" looks like now, and here are two alternatives. How do you guys like them?

MaverickZer0 08-15-2004 04:28 AM

Call me a nostalgia nut, but I like the classic 5MV look.

The third one's cool, too though.

NAHTMMM 08-15-2004 04:39 AM

I gotta go with the classic here too. ;)

mudshark 08-15-2004 05:57 AM

Kinda like the "two" alternative, myself.

Wade, The Sane Commodore 08-15-2004 05:58 AM

I dunno, I've never been a real fan of change. KISS.

Standback 08-15-2004 10:30 AM

Classic's definitely good. The second alternative is good, too. I don't like the first alternative.

Alexia 08-15-2004 10:44 AM

Ditto, I like the classic and second alternative. Little too much colour going on in the 1st! It is the whole change thing again...

Draknek 08-15-2004 11:19 AM

I think I prefer #2.

evay 08-15-2004 12:51 PM

Classic. If you must change, the second alternative is preferable to the first.

Derek 08-15-2004 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wade, The Sane Commodore

I don't think KISS really applies too much in this case. It's purely an aesthetic question. It doesn't introduce extra complexity, just different colors.

My ranking is "alternatives", classic, "two".

Alexia 08-15-2004 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wade, The Sane Commodore

I don't think KISS really applies too much in this case.

At the risk of sounding dumb, what exactly does KISS refer to? Other than the obvious, and being a UK radio station... :wink:

Celeste 08-15-2004 03:23 PM

I dunno Zeke, I kinda like the second option. Sometimes I read a fiver off the forums and I don't know the episode name, so I don't know which series it's from. which means it takes me a few paragraphs before I figure out what i'm reading. Having color coded thingys on the individual fiver pages may help.

PointyHairedJedi 08-15-2004 05:59 PM

I'm not too fussed really, though I prefer the look we have now.

Xeroc 08-15-2004 06:34 PM

I say either the second "alternatives" or the way we have it now.

Derek 08-15-2004 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexia
At the risk of sounding dumb, what exactly does KISS refer to?

KISS = Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Alexia 08-15-2004 07:36 PM

Thanks!

That seems like a terribly complicated was of saying keep it simple :wink:

antodav 08-15-2004 08:28 PM

I like the classic look too. The orange is horrible.

What's also horrible is this white-on-black instead of black-on-white color scheme. I can't even see the scroll bar on the bottom anymore....

Wait..it's gone now, and I'm back to something that's actually legible. All I had to do was log in. Huh. Weird.

Zeke 08-15-2004 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antodav
I like the classic look too. The orange is horrible.

In case anyone else didn't pick up on this, the orange is 5MD's subsite colour. It would be teal in 5MST, red in 5MV, amber in 5ME, and so forth.

Quote:

What's also horrible is this white-on-black instead of black-on-white color scheme. I can't even see the scroll bar on the bottom anymore....

Wait..it's gone now, and I'm back to something that's actually legible. All I had to do was log in. Huh. Weird.
Don't be shy, tell us what you really think of the 5MV skin....

evay 08-16-2004 01:42 AM

Quote:

And I can't see what I'm typing in a dialog box (like, oh, the login?). Is that fixable? Seems like an odd kinda bug.

<---- BTW, I positively LOVE the title bestowed upon me. :mrgreen: Mille cente grazie!

Kira 08-16-2004 02:58 AM

I'm not a fan of change either, but the second alternative's not bad. I could get used to it.