The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New avatar (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=466)

Michiel 07-28-2004 11:10 PM

New avatar

Well, my first avatar on 5MV, actually. I made it myself. What do you think?

And how do I compress it without losing quality? :?

PS: Who here plays Go? I'm a beginner myself (27 kyu, if you care). If you want a game, I know a good Go server.

taya17 07-28-2004 11:40 PM

You made it yourself? AH! I see we have a 3D animator on board! :D

3D animation is fun, but frustrating. I used to dabble in it a little when I was younger (say, between the ages of 14 and 17). I remember the first time we tried animating a vase falling off a table we didn't check our views too carefully, and when we rendered it, it turned out that the vase was falling through the table. Much hilarity ensued.

Ah, the good old days.

~~17, who wants to point out that her avatar is self-made too! :wink:

Michiel 07-28-2004 11:47 PM

Heh. Well, this one wasn't as difficult as a falling vase. :) The two stones just move one unit each frame. I made it with Pov-Ray.

Vedra 07-28-2004 11:50 PM

I think it's neato keen. They actually made a playable version of Go?! I wanna play!!!!!!

(I'm an Andromeda freak,if you hadn't noticed...what do they call us,Droms? lol)

Michiel 07-28-2004 11:57 PM

Hm.. Well, Go is about 4000 years old. Older than chess, even. Visit this server and sign up. http://kiroh.dyndns.org/dragon/

My name is Michiel there. Challenge me to a game. :)

Do they play it in Andromeda? I've seen Trip play it against the cogenitor once. Never seen it in any other show.

And ehm.. You wanna watch those exclamation points around here. ;)

Vedra 07-28-2004 11:59 PM

I thought Go was something they made up in Andromeda,in fact...lol. Silly me.

taya17 07-29-2004 01:39 AM

No no no... Go's an ancient Japanese game, I believe. The Chinese also play it rather well... I can't remeber the Mandarin name for it, though. It's something-qi... was it "xiang qi" or something similar? Agh, cannot remember. I had friends back in Secondary school who were in the Go club... oh wait, I remember! I think it's called "wei qi". Yeah.

Irrelevant facts. ;)

Zeke 07-29-2004 03:15 AM

Go is a great game at which I suck. Try me at chess sometime, though. I'll paste you across the floor.

17, I don't know if you're right about go, but "xiang qi" is Chinese chess. I have two sets at home which I never get to use because I don't know anyone in town who plays.

Vedra 07-29-2004 03:24 AM

Yeah,yeah,I know. I think I remember reading or hearing about Go before,but I thought it was a different game from Andromeda,because they have that weird board,like Star Trek's 3-D chess.

Nic Corelli 07-29-2004 05:17 AM

Well, to get back on topic... How do you folks like my new avatar? :twisted:

Alexia 07-29-2004 07:09 AM

You are insane nic :mrgreen: That's why we love ya! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Michiel 07-29-2004 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
Try me at chess sometime, though.

I'd like to do that sometime (no worries, I like playing against a superior opponent, which you no doubt are.) But you go finish Season 3 first. 8)

Draknek 07-29-2004 10:51 AM

I used to play Go every once in a while. Not for a long time now, though.

I like the avatar.

Michiel 07-29-2004 10:53 AM

And I like yours. I wish I could make all my hardware work on Linux though... I'm always forced to go back to Windows. :evil:

Anyway, sign in on the server and lets play sometime.

catalina_marina 07-29-2004 10:55 AM

Re: New avatar

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michiel
PS: Who here plays Go? I'm a beginner myself (27 kyu, if you care). If you want a game, I know a good Go server.

Deutcherboy, if anyone remembers him, put it on my computer once, but I couldn't figure out a good strategy, or any strategy for that matter, so I threw it off again. :roll:

Alexia 07-29-2004 10:57 AM

Wow. I'm impressed. I have enough trouble with animated gifs!

I was forced to play chess a lot as a child as my dad and brother loved it, but where as they played with strategies i just moved whatever piece i felt like with very little thought. As they had each move planned out well ahead, i invariably lost. A lot. :mrgreen:

As for go...never heard of it :D

PointyHairedJedi 07-29-2004 11:55 AM

I suck at chess, and probably would at Go if I cared to learn it.

In fact come to think of it I suck at most games. Hmm.

By the way, It is a little large Michiel - I'll have a go at making a smaller version for you later.

Michiel 07-29-2004 12:02 PM

I made a smaller version myself. It's my new avatar now. By lowering the colours and removing every other frame.

The original one

The smaller version

If you can make a better one, please go ahead (no pun intended).

Alexia 07-29-2004 12:10 PM

wow, its a different size...*checks eyes* yup, still one either side of my nose.

Hmmm, PHJ has considerably better eyesight than i do! Although, my contact lenses are drying out in this heat wave (which will probably last till friday so i get all hot at work this week, then rain/snow at the weekend knowning this country), so i blame that!

Michiel 07-29-2004 12:13 PM

Smaller in file-size. As in less KB's. I still have to link to it, though. I doubt I'm ever gonna get it below 34KB.

And for those that are interested: this is an excellent Go tutorial. Requires java.