The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Election 2004: The 5MV District (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=577)

Zeke 11-20-2004 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
Losing the Moon would have much more of a direct effect on us than any of the other planets.

That puts a bit of a snag in Frank J's plan...

(Alternative quip: Somebody tell Piccolo.)

Nan 11-20-2004 05:45 AM

Quote:

But anyway, for future reference, Nan is always right. She's sort of like the pope, only less holy and more cranky.

A Jedi after my own heart. Only not.

Bucking for a position of authority in the new world order, Pointy? ;)

Alexia 11-20-2004 10:03 AM

Quote:

But anyway, for future reference, Nan is always right. She's sort of like the pope, only less holy and more cranky.

I second that. I've fallen into a "Right 50% of the time" slot, and I'm comfortable with that :wink:

PointyHairedJedi 11-20-2004 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nan
Bucking for a position of authority in the new world order, Pointy? ;)

Well, if my own plans go awry, it never hurts to have a fallback... :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
That puts a bit of a snag in Frank J's plan...

But we like the moon!

Chancellor Valium 11-21-2004 01:15 PM

that song is good, but not as good as bananaphone and badgerbadgerbader.....

Anonymous 11-23-2004 03:07 AM

Wow, long week. I finally understand what Zeke means when he says he couldn't update. Doesn't mean I'll stop complaining, though. :wink:

It seems this topic has been dragged hopelessly off course. On the other hand, it's remarkable it lasted as long as it did. I'll just save my half-page for some point in the future when it is needed. Heh heh heh.

Nan is always right, and this earns her the punishment of repeated pokings. *pokes Nan*

My bet is that if we destroyed Mars, the surviving space-borne entities would welcome us as liberators to the black hunks they would then call their homes, even if an evil dictator (Marvin the Martian) escaped to Syr--Jupiter--with his Weapons of Earth Destruction. And then Bill O'Reilly would laugh at the stupid Martians. Then Christ would return, take the worthy up into Heaven, and the Democrats would retake the House and Senate.

And now, back to having a life. Or not. Translating the intricate tale of Publius and Furianus in Athens isn't exactly "having a life" in every sense of the word, but it is an approximation. Yes.

Wowbagger 11-23-2004 03:09 AM

Bloody... who keeps deleting my cookies?

Oh, yeah. Me. :oops: Sorry; that above "guest" post is, for the second time in a week, mine.

Nan 11-23-2004 04:59 AM

Wowbagger, I've asked politely before for you not to do that. Stop it. It's not funny. :x

Sa'ar Chasm 11-23-2004 05:43 AM

You don't want an angry Nan. Trust me.

Chancellor Valium 11-23-2004 01:43 PM

No indeed - mine once threa- oh, you mean Nan the forumgoer etc. Right probably not no.

NAHTMMM 11-24-2004 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
Which brings me onto: if we blew up a planet, wouldn't it be seriously bad for our orbit? Mightn't it make the planet uninhabitable (this one, not the one we blow up....)?

A good question. However it would seem that the Sun has about 99% of the mass in the entire Solar System, so the addition or removal of even a Jupiter-sized planet in any non-Earthish orbit is quite unlikely to affect our orbit more than a teeeny-tiny smidgen ;)

MaverickZer0 11-25-2004 12:42 AM

If someone targeted the sun, however, this also means we're in for big trouble.

Nan 11-25-2004 01:17 AM

Target the sun? With what? It's the sun! ;)

PointyHairedJedi 11-25-2004 05:31 PM

I dunno - there are plenty of sci-fi weapons that would do the trick. Myself, I'd just use a really really huge bucket of water.

richardson 11-25-2004 11:23 PM

Blasted kerries. *Pulls out his humongo-deathray of doom.* Support the evil dictator party and ZEKE! Oh, wait, the election is over.

Nan 11-25-2004 11:23 PM

I suppose one could introduce an unstable heavy element to screw with the fusion reaction... any fusion experts around to comment?

Sa'ar Chasm 11-26-2004 12:42 AM

Neutron flood to speed up the reaction.

It would take a whole lotta neutrons, though. The sun is *big*.

Oh, and before anyone suggests it, dumping nuclear waste in the sun won't make it explode.

Nan 11-26-2004 06:12 AM

Would it cause it belch? 'Cos that could be bad too. Especially if you live on Mercury.

Although, if you live on Mercury your life probably sucks anyway.

PointyHairedJedi 11-26-2004 05:46 PM

Maybe if you got a really really really HUGE magnet, that might do something interesting...

Or how about simultaneuously disrupting the links between every single atom?

Sa'ar Chasm 11-26-2004 06:37 PM

Quote:

Would it cause it belch? 'Cos that could be bad too. Especially if you live on Mercury.
I dunno. I've never dumped nuclear waste in the sun. Given that nuclear waste is the stuff left over after fission, probably not. You'ld just get radioactive heavy plasma.

Quote:

Maybe if you got a really really really HUGE magnet, that might do something interesting...
It's already a really really really HUGE magnet. :P

Quote:

Or how about simultaneuously disrupting the links between every single atom?
It's a roiling ball of plasma. We did that already. :P

Digression: the artificial sun in Spider Man 2 sucking everything metal into it is accurate. The fact that it got bigger everytime it absorbed something isn't.

What have we learned today? Science trumps partisan hackery, if only because everyone gets bored and leaves <g>