The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Persistent, Niggling Questions (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1410)

Nate the Great 11-17-2007 02:02 PM

Really? But dementia is so fun! ;)

mudshark 11-17-2007 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium (Post 75338)

EDIT: This one has been niggling at me persistently on and off for about five years now - what the can-you-afford-to-board is a lapazoo?

Can't seem to find any explanation for it anywhere. All I can figure is that it was probably originally "le Pazou" (which seems to be used as a nickname -- possibly of West African origin?) or perhaps a variant of "lollapalooza". Seems to have been something pretty nifty, anyway.

Nate the Great 11-18-2007 02:32 AM

So I'm watching Batman Begins again, so here's a question:

What would be the fear that Scarecrow's gas would evoke in you?

For me, it'd be stuffed animals coming to life and attacking me. I've long been phobic about taxidermy in general. Not just stuffed and mounted animals, either, just a few bugs pinned into drawers creep me out no end. Ugh.

Chancellor Valium 11-18-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudshark (Post 75340)
Can't seem to find any explanation for it anywhere. All I can figure is that it was probably originally "le Pazou" (which seems to be used as a nickname -- possibly of West African origin?) or perhaps a variant of "lollapalooza". Seems to have been something pretty nifty, anyway.

Interesting. Thanks.

Nate the Great 11-19-2007 07:35 PM

Would Assignment: Earth have made an interesting show?

Nate the Great 11-22-2007 11:55 PM

How come I only just now noticed that the hyperlink from the main page to the forums still says "The Five Minute Voyager Forums?"

Nate the Great 11-28-2007 09:52 PM

How long can a person pine for the fjords without getting hungry, or having to take a bathroom break, or taking ten minutes to change the blurb or something? :)

PointyHairedJedi 11-29-2007 03:54 PM

I guess until they decompose beyond the point where they are recognisably human and not just a skeleton and some goopy smelly mess.

Nate the Great 12-03-2007 03:22 AM

Do we need a combination PNQ/Link Dump thread? A lot of posts I create for either seem to imply a combination of the two is necessary, usually based around "post a link, then ask a question about it."

Nate the Great 12-04-2007 03:11 AM

Why is text messaging so popular? Seriously, you have a cell phone, your friend has a cell phone, why not TALK?

NAHTMMM 12-04-2007 05:41 AM

Can't call a phone from a computer. Can text-message via IM.

Aside from that . . . I dunno.

Nate the Great 12-04-2007 12:56 PM

It's a Theme Day here in the PNQ Thread! Today is Christmas lore:

Where did this idea of flying reindeer come from? I suppose it follows a line of "logic" from Pegasus to reindeer (a more logical quadraped to be found in the North Country), but still...flying reindeer?

I've seen versions of the Santa legend that state one immortal jolly dude and others that state a sort of generational legacy. Some even posit the existence of a "throne" at the North Pole. Saint Nicholas the XXXVI or whatever, and Santa a hereditary title. Which do you prefer?

I'm still a little curious about this bit of Santa having to lay one finger alongside his nose to go up the chimney. Given the sizes and shapes (and nonexistence, for some) of chimneys, I'd imagine some sort of autonomous teleportation a la Q would come into play. Thus a finger snap, wink, or some other, more expedient and simple method of physically indicating you are about to change position.

So how would Santa's pack work? Someone once calculated that even if every child only recieved a one-pound LEGO set, we're still talking thousands of tons. I suppose that if we're positing flying reindeer, a normal sack being a doorway into hammerspace (i.e. a Bag of Holding) would also work. Perhaps Santa has a bunch of elves in there with clipboards and forklifts finding the correct toys for each house.

catalina_marina 12-04-2007 03:54 PM

Why do people always insist on starting the Christmas thing before Sinterklaas has come and gone?

PointyHairedJedi 12-04-2007 07:29 PM

I dunno. For the same reason that you can practically buy your Easter Eggs on January the 1st, I suppose.

LtFielding 12-05-2007 12:48 AM

Why does everyone think I made up the word quasihemidemisemiquaver?

Nate the Great 12-05-2007 01:24 AM

The whatnow?

Nate the Great 12-05-2007 08:59 AM

Let's see if we can dissect and translate it:

quasihemidemisemiquaver

quasi=sort of, not quite
hemi=half
demi=half
semi=half
quaver=tremble

Not quite an eighth of a shudder? Okay... :)

Nate the Great 12-05-2007 09:19 AM

http://teh-no.livejournal.com/125561.html

Who is this guy? Is he on this forum under a different name, or what? The "fivers" are nice enough as they go, but the incorrectly spelled names put me off a bit.

LtFielding 12-05-2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 75481)
Let's see if we can dissect and translate it:

quasihemidemisemiquaver

quasi=sort of, not quite
hemi=half
demi=half
semi=half
quaver=tremble

Not quite an eighth of a shudder? Okay... :)

A quasihemidemisemiquaver is an 128th note.

LtFielding 12-05-2007 02:53 PM

Why doesn't anyone ever want to talk aboutPHYSICS