The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Persistent, Niggling Questions (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1410)

Chancellor Valium 05-26-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 77017)
Yeah. I already had it installed. I forgot about it.

It does sort of lurk in the background...

Nate the Great 06-27-2009 11:13 AM

So I keep a lot of stuff on my jump drive. To bad using Start->Run->Browse->(My jump drive) only reveals programs and folders unless I specifically choose to look at files as well.

PNQ: Is there a way to tell Browse to show me all files as a default?

NAHTMMM 06-28-2009 01:07 PM

Umm . . . Run is of course intended for running programs, so . . . I really don't know whether there would be a setting for that.

Nate the Great 06-28-2009 07:27 PM

Too bad I can't supplement the My Computer icon on the Start menu with icons for each drive.

Nate the Great 07-02-2009 01:00 AM

PNQ: As a lifelong Kid Radd fan, I gotta ask...

Why in the name of all that is webcomic are newer versions of web browsers incompatible with the comic? How can the implementation of code have changed so much? Is it impossible for browsers to have full backwards compatibility?

Wowbagger 07-07-2009 11:11 PM

Following up on my two-month-old post about "dskodpach":

I was (not surprisingly) using the word in an episode of Star Trek: Excelsior, my fan show linked from my sig. Now our audience of thousands has heard the word! Now Fiveminute.net's cultural supremacy is assured! Mwahahahaha!

If you care, you can hear the episode at StarshipExcelsior.com. It's called "The Manchurian Officer," and the "dskodpach" use is within the first five minutes. Probably not worth downloading just for the 5MV reference, but it's a good ep in its own right. So yeah. Halfway-shameless plug.

Nate the Great 07-12-2009 04:45 AM

A British character in a movie I'm watching refers to a food called "chop 'n' chips" or something like this. I can't find any reference to this, or maybe I'm just not spelling it right. I know that "chips" mean French Fries, but "chop?" Chopped steak? A hamburger?

Nate the Great 07-13-2009 05:59 AM

So I'm trying to find a browser that's compatible with my archive of Kid Radd. The main page says that the thing was designed for Internet Explorer 4-6. Why modern browsers can't make themselves backwards compatible for all webpages I'll never know. So I download the installer for IE 4, and it won't let me install it 'cause I have a newer version of IE already. What does that have to anything? If I want to I should be able to have five different versions of IE in five different folders, right? A little help here?

evay 07-14-2009 02:40 PM

Switch to Safari. Or Firefox. Honestly, why are you still running that stone-knives-and-bearskins browser? It doesn't work because it's <i>Microsoft,</i> that's why.

Nate the Great 07-14-2009 07:48 PM

I do use Firefox for my main browser needs, but guess what? It doesn't work either! Why is this so hard? It's triggers for different images on the same webpage, along with a few simple animations and midi soundbytes. It should not stop being compatible with browsers as they get more advanced! A webpage built in the Internet Explorer 4 to 6 days should work in Internet Explorer 8 that have now, or Firefox, or MSN Explorer, or Opera, or Safari, or whatever else I want to use!

Is 100% backwards compatibility too much to ask? Is it?

JVTruman 07-15-2009 12:55 AM

Maybe the version of Netscape from the same time would work?

Nate the Great 07-27-2009 12:06 AM

Why is the ten minute YouTube limit still necessary? Couldn't they just require people to post a segmented version as well, just in case there are still people in dialup purgatory, but allowing highspeed people a single segment?

PNQ #2: Do you know anyone who still watches YouTube on dialup?

Nate the Great 07-29-2009 10:07 AM

In reading Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle I'm starting to get confused about this Syaoran and his clone business. So am I right that the first Syaoran we meet is the clone? But which one is technically called "Syaoran" continues to confuse me.

MaverickZer0 08-01-2009 07:05 AM

Oh god, Tsubasa.

Don't worry. No one understands Tsubasa. Brains have been destroyed trying. It's like Eva on crack.

Wowbagger 08-02-2009 07:10 AM

Last I checked, YouTube was shedding money faster than an onionmonger sheds tears. That's why they have the ten-minute limit. I would not be at all surprised to see that limit contracted this year to five -- it saves bandwidth and server space.

We'll see, though. They started offering HD, which ran sharply counter to my expectations.

Nate the Great 08-02-2009 11:20 AM

I thought the ten-minute limit was so that dialup people don't have to wait 'til the end of time to see anything. Thus my question. How many YouTube-intensive people are still on dialup?

NAHTMMM 08-05-2009 12:38 AM

Is it possible to simultaneously use YouTube intensively and be stuck with dialup?

Nate the Great 08-05-2009 01:52 AM

Okay, rephrase it. How many people who WANT to be YouTube intensive are stuck with dialup?

NAHTMMM 08-05-2009 02:12 AM

The world may never know. :(

(Alternate answer: Probably about as many who would like to be internet-intensive but are stuck with dial-up.)

I would guess that another reason for the limit, besides the issues raised already, is so that people can't upload an entire episode at one go. No, it probably doesn't help much, but I imagine the lawyers feel a little happier.

Nate the Great 08-05-2009 11:23 AM

I have no problem with limits for shows you can go to a store and buy, but when the show just out and out does not exist on DVD, the fans should be able to have entire episodes in one segment. Yes, I'm looking at you, Batman 1966.