The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   5MV Talk (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   how do you submit things to the site? (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1446)

Dragonrider Alkira 01-02-2008 09:47 PM

how do you submit things to the site?

see, i'm new here, and i made a 5minute version of "Nausicaa" by hayo miazaki (and am working on other stuffs), and i was wondering how to submit things. if this is the wrong forum, please tell me.

Nate the Great 01-03-2008 12:15 AM

You e-mail Zeke. We don't have Five-Minute Anime yet, but if we ever do, I want Kiki's Delivery Service. Spirited Away would also be nice, but I WANT Kiki.

However, I'm not sure if Miyazaki counts as "science fiction," per se. It seems to be squarely in the realm of fantasy, but we have been known to bend the rules on occasion.

Oh, and anything related to "official" fivers (as opposed to fanvers or altvers), belongs in this section of the forum. You were right in that case.

Tate 01-03-2008 12:17 AM

I would also reccomend reading the <a href="http://www.fiveminute.net/about/submissions.html">Submissions FAQ</a>, but it pretty much boils down to: email <a href="mailto:zeke_att_fiveminute_dott_net">Zeke</a>.

Welcome to 5M.Net, by the way. I hope you enjoy it here.

Zeke 01-03-2008 04:50 AM

Hmm, interesting. Between this, GreenFire's MegaMan NT Warrior fivers, and the fact that I've watched about 20 entire anime in the last six months, we could have the beginning of a new section here. (I also remember someone wanting to do Akira, though I've forgotten who.)

Anyway, Nate and Tate are rate... uh, right. Email me the fiver and I'll be happy to take a look. I don't promise any particular timeframe, however. I'm way behind on more than just guest fivers.

And yes, welcome to the forums.

Nate the Great 01-03-2008 05:59 AM

Yes, one step at a time.

AKAArzosah 01-03-2008 10:55 AM

I think Nausicaa at least really does qualify as sci-fi, i.e. set in the future, weird air ships, etc. Kiki's doesn't, but I'd like to see a fiver of that too.

AKAArzosah 01-03-2008 10:56 AM

Hah, I just noticed your name, Dragonrider! Pern, or other?

PointyHairedJedi 01-03-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonrider Alkira (Post 75748)
see, i'm new here, and i made a 5minute version of "Nausicaa" by hayo miazaki (and am working on other stuffs), and i was wondering how to submit things. if this is the wrong forum, please tell me.

First off, you have to give me your soul. Second off, awesome! Nausicaa is one I've thought of doing myself before now, but much as I like it I've now read the original graphic novel which knocks the film into a cocked snoop.

Two words - be patient. Also, give meee your soooooul!

Nate the Great 01-03-2008 07:15 PM

Yeah, I know Kiki isn't scifi, but if we bend the rules a bit for Angel and the OC, why not Miyazaki?

I have a particular fondness for Kiki because it was my first introduction both to Miyazaki and "serious anime." Pokemon, Digimon, Cardcaptors, etc. aren't really "serious anime."

Actually, I suggested the idea of Five-Minute Trigun to Zeke awhile back, at least that one IS scifi.

Tate 01-03-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 75771)
Yeah, I know Kiki isn't scifi, but if we bend the rules a bit for Angel and the OC, why not Miyazaki?

Not to mention LOTR and *coughcough* Legend of Zelda.

But Five Minute Anime sounds fun. My sister and I have discussed the possiblity of fiving Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz. And I might like to try a few episodes of NT Warrior myself.

Nate the Great 01-03-2008 11:18 PM

I forgot about Lord of the Rings. I suppose eventually we'll just be fiving everything under the sun, won't we? I mean, there's only so much Trek out there to five.

I'd suggest that we put the kibosh on episodic anime, if only so we don't get bogged down by series that go on for hundreds of episodes. With the provision that short animes are allowed, like (cough) Trigun, of course.

Zeke 01-04-2008 05:20 AM

It's not like there's any shortage of those. Let's see... Fate/Stay Night, Simoun, Haruhi Suzumiya, Mai-HiME, Mai-Otome, Death Note, ROD the TV, RahXephon, Trigun, Ai Yori Aoshi, Najica Blitz Tactics, Midori no Hibi, Mezzo DSA, Pani Poni Dash!, Mahoromatic, Kannazuki no Miko, Excel Saga, MegaMan Star Force, Grenadier, and the almighty Azumanga Daioh all fall short of 50 episodes, and that's just considering shows I've seen.

A bigger problem is that these things are only half an hour long. Comics have a similar problem: one issue per fiver or several? I guess it all depends on the particular material. Modern "decompressed" comics have much less story; if I ever tackle Warren Ellis's craptacular "Extremis" story in Iron Man, for instance, that'll surely be just one fiver.

Derek 01-04-2008 03:06 PM

So since I don't watch anime, it's okay to think he was referring to some Trek novel about the Nausicaans initially, right? Because I don't read Trek novels either.

evay 01-04-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 75755)
Email me the fiver and I'll be happy to take a look. I don't promise any particular timeframe, however.

"Soon." 8)

PointyHairedJedi 01-04-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 75778)
So since I don't watch anime, it's okay to think he was referring to some Trek novel about the Nausicaans initially, right? Because I don't read Trek novels either.

I suppose, but if it had been the full title and you'd still thought that, then I would have worried.

Zeke 01-04-2008 09:03 PM

The beauty of it is that the Nausicaans were named after that particular anime character. (In turn, she's named after the Nausicaa of Greek myth.) There were a bunch of anime fans behind the scenes at TNG, and they snuck in various references. This is documented in the Next Generation Companion; that's how I knew about anime before it went big.

And hey, it's evay! Good to see you.

Dragonrider Alkira 01-04-2008 09:04 PM

also, i reserve "princess mononke" for me!

i mean, think of the posibilities!

(ji-san: ahhh! an evil noodlebeast of doom!
demon: im a DEMON!)

Dragonrider Alkira 01-04-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi (Post 75765)
First off, you have to give me your soul. Second off, awesome! Nausicaa is one I've thought of doing myself before now, but much as I like it I've now read the original graphic novel which knocks the film into a cocked snoop.

Two words - be patient. Also, give meee your soooooul!

i would[give you my soul], but i'm not sure i have one. . . bwahaha!

(just kidding)

anyway, don't you have to, like, wait 'till i die or something?

(b-5 references! ye-haw!)

mudshark 01-05-2008 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 75782)
The beauty of it is that the Nausicaans were named after that particular anime character. (In turn, she's named after the Nausicaa of Greek myth.) There were a bunch of anime fans behind the scenes at TNG, and they snuck in various references. This is documented in the Next Generation Companion;

You can also find a number of TNG in-jokes (including the anime ones) listed here.

Note: This page is from the same TNG database that Andrew Tong used to maintain at a CalTech URL. It's not there any more, but it is here. Includes all of the Tim Lynch synopses/reviews.

PointyHairedJedi 01-05-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonrider Alkira (Post 75783)
also, i reserve "princess mononke" for me!

That's entirely Zeke's purview - unfortunately, unilaterally reserving things for oneself isn't generally allowed, although for some things there's more leeway than others.

Would you mind letting me take a look at Nausicaa? I really am very curious, and perhaps I could offer you a few ideas as far as the editing is concerned.