The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   5MV Talk (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   About the (eventual) skin (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=949)

Chancellor Valium 01-21-2006 05:08 PM

My...Brain...Hurts...
:P

Sa'ar Chasm 01-21-2006 05:39 PM

Quote:

elseif(eregi
I think I've met her.

whoiam 01-21-2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sa'ar Chasm
Quote:

elseif(eregi
I think I've met her.

.....?

e of pi 01-21-2006 06:01 PM

Huh?

Sa'ar Chasm 01-21-2006 10:19 PM

Elseif Eregi. I think I've met her.

whoiam 01-21-2006 10:41 PM

...you know, it is possible to make a worse joke then that one. Just not easy.

e of pi 01-21-2006 10:54 PM

Anyone wanna try?

Zeke 01-21-2006 11:06 PM

I try all the time. Doesn't it show?

By the way, that round of Dirk Gently references makes me wonder -- what do you guys think of it? I've only read the first one so far, and it was great stuff, but I found the ending really, really fanboyish. (Bach was a great composer, to be sure, but blessed with the music of the spheres?)

whoiam: Thanks very much -- I'll check your stuff out as soon as I've taken care of some more immediate things.

Scooter 01-22-2006 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
By the way, that round of Dirk Gently references makes me wonder -- what do you guys think of it? I've only read the first one so far, and it was great stuff, but I found the ending really, really fanboyish. (Bach was a great composer, to be sure, but blessed with the music of the spheres?)

The problem with the first Dirk Gently book is that it's a recycling of a Doctor Who script on which production was started but never completed ("Shada"). So the original inspiration had to be revised and redirected, and the book ended up being a hybrid that didn't have its own soul (though it still has some great moments).

For this reason, imho, the second Gently novel, which grew out of the character and not the need to recycle a story, is superior to the first.

Chancellor Valium 01-22-2006 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke

The problem with the first Dirk Gently book is that it's a recycling of a Doctor Who script on which production was started but never completed ("Shada"). So the original inspiration had to be revised and redirected, and the book ended up being a hybrid that didn't have its own soul (though it still has some great moments).

For this reason, imho, the second Gently novel, which grew out of the character and not the need to recycle a story, is superior to the first.

Life, the Universe and Everything was a recycled DW script too, y'know ;)

On DGHDA:
It's very Adamsy. It's very funny. It's utterly insane. I prefer "The Long, Dark Teatime of the soul." ;)

Celeste 01-22-2006 04:54 PM

Niiiiiice job, Zeke. ::clicks reload to see all the new Forum piccies::

e of pi 01-22-2006 07:16 PM

Ohhh....Andromeda...shiny....

Ginga 01-22-2006 08:49 PM

*presses F5 a lot* Niiiice.

e of pi 01-22-2006 10:11 PM

Alright. While I like the idea, and the basic effect, there is one thing that bugs me. The images are different heights, so the main body of the forum starts in a different place depending on which image it is. Any chance of fixing this?

Zeke 01-22-2006 10:45 PM

It bugs me too, but by the time I realized the problem, it was late and I was exhausted from making six of these things in a row. Look, images by me are temporary, all right, guys? I have someone with genuine experience working on new graphics for the whole site. When we have a proper skin for this forum, I guarantee the graphics will look professional.

e of pi 01-22-2006 10:47 PM

Okay. It's pretty minor, anyway. Glad to hear about you getting some help with this.

Zeke 01-22-2006 11:16 PM

By the way, anyone who has an all-consuming hunger to see the full set of images will find them here.

e of pi 01-22-2006 11:20 PM

Looking at them all at once, I think I like the E-E one best.

danieldoof 01-22-2006 11:23 PM

yep yep yep yep yep yep and yep

I have seen them all :D
should download them

and defend them

Zeke 01-22-2006 11:25 PM

To defend them from... their enemies.

(Sorry. ReBoot moment.)

DS9 is my favourite so far. It's vivid.