The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   October 5 (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=883)

Zeke 10-06-2005 03:41 AM

October 5

Welcome to Day 4, where once again we are thoroughly J-J-Jaded. (She's got her mama's style but she's yesterday's child to me...) Today's fivers are "Out of Gas" and "Shindig."

(Note 1: I forgot to mention yesterday that Jade has dedicated her "Jaynestown" fiver to the memory of Kerry "Lux Lucre" Pearson, a Firefly filker of note. This will be reflected on the fiver page when I implement the next version of the PHP code.)

(Note 2: Be sure to check out the Season 1 page before the end of this event. At that point I'll have to come up with real blurbs.)

Xeroc 10-06-2005 05:06 AM

Wooo! :D

Great fivers and excellent job on the new subsite! :D

PointyHairedJedi 10-06-2005 10:54 AM

Heh, no wonder Mal doesn't want to ever leave Serenity. He knows that it would come looking for him... :shock:

Kudos, Jade! I think the fiver of "Shindig" has to be my favourite so far.

Derek 10-06-2005 02:30 PM

Quote:

River: Hi Badger! Oi'm Drusilla.
Badger: Er... cool?
Heh. I hadn't ever thought of that. I will from now on.

Quote:

Past Zoe: Sir, if you're gonna buy this ship it really needs a new name.
Past Mal: Yeah. U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-W just doesn't evoke the right sense of awe, somehow.
This is the way the Federation ends: Not with a bang, but a whimper.

I liked the way you played with the scenes in Out of Gas, Jade. Especially when the characters would talk about upcoming scenes and whatnot.

Btw, UST = Unrequited Sexual Tension?

Draknek 10-06-2005 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Quote:

River: Hi Badger! Oi'm Drusilla.
Badger: Er... cool?
Heh. I hadn't ever thought of that. I will from now on.

I watched that episode the other day, and in that scene, I found it impossible not to think that.

admiral sab 10-06-2005 04:29 PM

sabby

Derek- I think it's unresolved sexual tension.

Zeke 10-06-2005 08:32 PM

Yep. By definition, tension is two-sided.

Derek 10-06-2005 08:42 PM

Yes, well, 'shippy acronyms are not something I'm familiar with, and it took me long enough to get to U____ Sexual Tension. Maybe Zeke can update the Abbreviations page.

Zeke 10-06-2005 09:27 PM

Whoa. Nobody was dissing you, Derek, we were just answering your question.

The Abbreviations page is certainly in need of an update, but I don't really like most 'shipper terms enough to put them there. In fact, that's true of fandom terms in general. The day I put "OTP" on there is the day I need to be deposed.

[EDIT: Oo, I have a better example. "Fen." That thing will never, never appear on my site.]

Derek 10-06-2005 10:59 PM

No dis was inferred. Sorry if my tone came across wrong.

And is it pathetic that I have no clue what OTP or Fen are? Or is that a good thing?

Draknek 10-06-2005 11:46 PM

OTP is One True Pairing, but I only know that because I had to look it up recently.

A quick googling reveals that fen is the plural of fan, but I really struggle to see what is wrong with "fans".

Zeke 10-06-2005 11:48 PM

"Fans" isn't pretentious enough.

And just to be totally clear:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draknek
A quick googling reveals that fen is the plural of fan --

No. "Fen" is an incorrect, proposed plural of "fan" used by people who are living in a dreamworld. It is not a word, it is not correct, and anyone who tells you otherwise is mistaken or lying.

Sa'ar Chasm 10-07-2005 12:16 AM

Quote:

No. "Fen" is an incorrect, proposed plural of "fan" used by people who are living in a dreamworld. It is not a word, it is not correct, and anyone who tells you otherwise is mistaken or lying.
Sounds like they're on rather swampy ground there.

Also, "fen" was used as some sort of contract of "dolphin crewmen", possibly a feminine form, in David Brin's second Uplift trilogy (which I should go add to the Recommended Reading thread).

PointyHairedJedi 10-07-2005 12:16 AM

Yet if it was, say, "fanii", you'd be all over it.

Zeke 10-07-2005 12:55 AM

No I wouldn't. I don't even use "fora" for this place.

SCMoll 10-07-2005 01:13 AM

Which is a shame, as all "forums" are automatically improved in awesomeness and pretentiousness by being known as "fora"!

Chancellor Valium 10-07-2005 07:58 PM

Well....how about the plural of "forum" being "fenums", and the plural of "fan" being "forans"?

:mrgreen:

evay 10-07-2005 08:41 PM

Considering the computer code involved, maybe the plural of forum could be "fortrans"? Or would those only be the very secure ones?

PointyHairedJedi 10-08-2005 12:55 PM

Heavens knows. I'm still trying to think of a good COBOL pun for Battlestar Galactica. Not for any particular reason, you understand.

Chancellor Valium 10-08-2005 02:39 PM

Umm........something like "It is written that any return to COBOL will require blood, sweat toil and tears"?
That way you can work in Churchill too :D