The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Be generous. Go on. Share a Fact or two. (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1058)

Burt 05-02-2006 03:54 AM

Be generous. Go on. Share a Fact or two.

Right, we all know amazing things that others don't. So share them with each other.
Brighten up someone's day.

Sharks are the only animals apparently never to fall ill. As far as it's known, they are immune to every disease including cancer!

And

The shortest War ever was between the UK and Zanzibar. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.

Gatac 05-02-2006 06:34 AM

Italy once fielded a machinegun that didn't eject spent cases, but instead fed them neatly back into the magazine. This required an additional automatic greasing of ammo before being fed into the gun.

By all accounts, it worked, even if it was totally impractical.

(Note that similar systems are commonly used for autocannons built into airplanes, where foreign object damage to the engines from flying cases are a very real danger.)

Also, in the first World War, the German Army built the so-called Paris Gun, a massive piece of (barely portable) artillery that could shoot 150 kilometers far. It was an ineffective terror weapon at best, but the French had the gun destroyed and hunted down every technical drawing of the weapon system after the war - presumably afraid of anything of this scale ever being built again.

(Militaria is full of these things. Really.)

Gatac

richardson 05-02-2006 10:52 AM

Florida panhandle sand is so clean and perfect that it squeaks when you walk on it. (Personal experience, plus expert opinion. Every time they test worldwide beach sands, Panhandlian sand comes in the top three every time.)

However, WE DON'T NEED MORE TOURISTS, SO please... *Calms down* Stay home.

Hejira 05-02-2006 11:41 AM

Re: Be generous. Go on. Share a Fact or two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt
The shortest War ever was between the UK and Zanzibar. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.

Zanzibar is also the bestest map evar. WHEE window smashfest and stuff.

Cats prefer purple.

The Turkish Van breed of cat not only tolerates water, it loves it. Its fur is designed for swimming, so don't pour oil over it or anything.

Alexia 05-02-2006 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hejira
Quote:

Don't you mean Wii?

Lostoyannaya 05-02-2006 01:48 PM

1. The whole Lemmings-off-a-cliff-for-no-reason thing is a myth. They only, in fact, used to do it when their population hit a certain number ceiling. Since then, their population has declined and they haven't done it for over one hundred years :D

2. Bulls are colourblind, and therefore do not go after red capes. This is also a myth.

3. Orsen Wells hated the semi-colon so much he once wrote a book without containing a single one.

4. The Cockney expression "'Cor Blimey" in it's original form was "God Blind Me". It was corrupted by the accent and by writers writing it phonetically.

~~Lostoyannnaya :D

Derek 05-02-2006 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardson
Florida panhandle sand is so clean and perfect that it squeaks when you walk on it.

What's interesting to me is that I had no idea other sand didn't squeak. (I mean, sure, sandbox sand and volleyball sand doesn't, but I figured all beach sand squeaked.)

Quote:

However, WE DON'T NEED MORE TOURISTS, SO please... *Calms down* Stay home.
And the other interesting thing is that I missed richardson being from the Panhandle. Where are you from, richardson?

Sa'ar Chasm 05-02-2006 02:52 PM

Fact: Contrary to popular belief, Ottawa isn't the coldest national capital in the world. It just feels like it sometimes (although not this winter).

Derek 05-02-2006 03:29 PM

Fact: Your mom... never had... a mohawk. She plays... bingo,... bowls,... and she wonders,... "Why can't you chew a nice stick of gum like your father?"

PointyHairedJedi 05-02-2006 11:18 PM

(Ironic) Fact: Reginald Mitchell, designer of the Supermarine Spitfire, generally held to be one of the most beautiful fighter aircraft ever built, was born near and grew up in... Stoke-on-Trent.
(Stoke's other famous sons includeE.E. Smith, captain of the R.M.S. Titanic, the two Josiahs (Wedgewood and Spode), and some fella called Robbie Williams who fancies himself a singer).

Fact: Lewisian gneiss is the oldest rock in Britain.

Fact: I am a genius.

(One of the above may or may not be a total lie; I'll leave you to guess which.)

richardson 05-03-2006 01:09 AM

(I'll take number three for 3000!)

There is actually oil in florida.

Ginga 05-03-2006 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexia
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hejira
Quote:

Don't you mean Wii?

No one gave a nod to this utterly fantastic joke? I'm all over any Wii jokes.

Anyway.

Something that no one knows.

Er.

Neon Genesis Evangelion went overbudget after quite a graphic episode. Why? TV Tokyo said, "OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? TOO MUCH BLOOD!" and pulled a giant chunk of Gainax's money.

Or at least, that's what Wikipedia says.

e of pi 05-03-2006 02:33 AM

Fact: The human body produces two quarts of mucus a day. Ewww..... :shock:

MaverickZer0 05-03-2006 03:34 AM

Fact: Canada's official National Sport is Lacrosse, even though very few people know how to play.

Fact: If the entire population of China were to march through a gate, single-file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

Fact: My school has seen fit to but five two-thousand dollar air conditioners, yet we still don't have a working bell.

Fact: There is no joy in Mudville.

Go figure.

Sa'ar Chasm 05-03-2006 04:08 AM

Quote:

Canada's official National Sport is Lacrosse, even though very few people know how to play.
My cousin knows how to play. He plays professionally in various leagues, depending on whose offseason it is.

Burt 05-03-2006 07:34 AM

I would have noticed this -
"No one gave a nod to this utterly fantastic joke? I'm all over any Wii jokes."
more, had I heard the news!
Wii?
Wii?
What kinda name is that?
Why does Nintendo hate itself?
I mean I'm all for new and exciting twists, but Wii?
Are they really saying I have to go into a shop and ask if I can have a Wii?

Hejira 05-03-2006 07:58 AM

Wii is a cool name. It's more of a picture than a word, which is swiit.

(You're a little late, though. Some boards have set aside one thread for Wii jokes, and others have made Wii jokes a bannable offence.)

Zeke 05-03-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi

Really? I always thought it was the Beatles. (Or the Quarrymen if you want to be picky.)

Fact: I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Lostoyannaya 05-03-2006 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke

What about us shes?

~~Lostoyannaya :shock:

Chancellor Valium 05-04-2006 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi

Really? I always thought it was the Beatles. (Or the Quarrymen if you want to be picky.)

Fact: Zeke is INSANE.

Fact: The last person to un-self-conciously use the verb 'ycleped' in a book was John Buchan, in his mediaeval novel, "Prester John".