The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Out of shear bordom... The Random Books Thingy! (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1047)

KillerGodMan 04-13-2006 02:36 AM

Out of shear bordom... The Random Books Thingy!

Out of she-

*KillerGodMan's better half* It doesn't need repeating, ItotallydidnotstealthisfromZekeIhadthislongbefore5 mvevenexisted

Oh fine!

Just talk about books you like. That's it.
But it MUST be a book you like! You can't lie and write about a book you don't like, unless you want to warn us not to read it. Then you would have to go create a DO NOT READ THIS BOOK thingy.

Anywho...

Go read Eragon. Eragon is a boy. He has a dragon. It's a niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice dragon.

Eragon is a good book. A verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry good book. You people yeally should read it, and the rest of the trilogy too!

Nate the Great 04-13-2006 03:18 AM

Okay, I'll talk about the Phantom Tollbooth. A true classic, in every sense of the word. You can enjoy it on any level you want to. You can be lazy and just enjoy the adventure or you can appreciate the cerebral humor. If you're a fan of puns you'll be deluged. If you like dry wit, it's there.

So, any other boothies out there?

Lostoyannaya 04-13-2006 12:06 PM

^ Makes a point to look up mentioned book.

~~

I'm reading the complete short story collection of Oscar Wilde. My favourite was "The Remarkable Rocket". The stories are a little off-beat and don't have any real endings to them, but they do make you stop and think whilst you're reading them,

And my favourite book in the whole world is Decipher by Stel Pavlou. It's kind of like a more science-fiction orientated Da Vinci Code (which is also a good book...)

~~Lostoyannaya :wink:

Naki 04-13-2006 02:20 PM

I just finished Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

Read it

It is good, confusing to follow at times but good

GO! RUN TO THE STORE AND BUT IT NOW!

Gatac 04-13-2006 04:56 PM

I concur.

Cryptonomicon is amazing.

Gatac

mark726 04-13-2006 07:05 PM

I highly recommend the Rama series by Arthur C. Clarke. It's pretty great.

e of pi 04-13-2006 09:07 PM

Darn right it was. Rama raised interesting questions about the nature of humanity, insulted us in large groups, and then actually manage to make me not fear for our future(Unlike, say, the news.), something Clarke does pretty darn well, in general. After reading it, I picked up (hefted?) a large (huge?) anthology that dad had bought while ago, and started reading. Didn't stop for weeks. Two. That's a long time for someone who reads as fast as I do.

Chancellor Valium 04-16-2006 05:26 PM

Just about anything by Arthur C. Clarke is worth reading, IMO.

Lostoyannaya 04-16-2006 07:46 PM

Ummm....

*timidly raises hand*

Who's Arthur C. Clarke?

*Ducks*

~~Lostoyannaya :wink: :oops:

e of pi 04-16-2006 08:35 PM

Science fiction writer. Author of 2001: A Space Odessy, among other works.

Lostoyannaya 04-16-2006 08:50 PM

Okay, that rings a bell ^^ Thanks E! I'll do some research.

Chancellor Valium 04-16-2006 09:15 PM

I'd definitely recommend his short stories.

e of pi 04-16-2006 09:20 PM

I would too.

Chancellor Valium 04-16-2006 09:49 PM

He could compile some ridiculous number of books (well over 2bn, IIRC) from variations on selections of the stories he has written.

e of pi 04-17-2006 02:15 AM

Which is why this drone owns the anthology... quite a brick.

Chancellor Valium 04-17-2006 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e of pi
Which is why this drone owns the anthology... quite a brick.

Must take up a large amount of your alcove.

Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams are also definite 'must read' 's.

Lostoyannaya 04-17-2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Valium
Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams are also definite 'must read' 's.

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (okay, are there two H's in Hitchhikers? *strains to see bookshelf and falls off chair* um...never mind) and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency are my two favourites for Douglas Adams, whereas Johnny and the Bomb is my favourite Pratchett...along with Truckers, although I'd have to read it again.

mark726 04-18-2006 03:40 AM

Glad that there are some other Clarke fans over here. Lol, I usually get weird looks if I bring up Rama. I've finally found some of my own... :cry:

I also recommend 1984.

Chancellor Valium 04-18-2006 05:08 PM

Robert A. Heinlein doesn't write too badly, but he can't measure up to Clarke, IMO.

Burt 04-29-2006 09:34 PM

Does this have to be only Sci-fi books? Not that I don't live and breath Sci-Fi (Hitchikers guide!!! Woohoo!) But I also just love Bill Bryson!!! The Complete Notes are a great Buy. And secondly anyone been reading Agatha Christie? She's pretty much the queen of crime. Read 'Murder on the Orient Express', and tell me you knew you did it!