The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Gatac does...a survey? (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1339)

Gatac 01-07-2007 07:36 PM

Gatac does...a survey?

*checks ice, hopes it won't crack*

I'm, er, doing a survey for my journalism class. It's about *gasp* religious belief in the USA. If our US residents could take a minute to fill it out, I'd be thrilled.

http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/renders...rtnrhb6b255470

Since I don't want to incur Zeke's wrath, let me state outright that I don't intend to start a discussion here. If you feel you need to say something more than the survey, please send me an eMail.

Uh, I guess there's not much of a reason for you to post here at all. So, to give the compulsive posters something to work with: I like ice cream. Go!

Gatac

Chancellor Valium 01-07-2007 07:52 PM

What flavour?

Does it come with wafers?

Gatac 01-07-2007 07:57 PM

Peach yoghurt. Some wafers, but not all of them.

Gatac

Chancellor Valium 01-07-2007 08:29 PM

Umm...two choc-ices please, then.

Celeste 01-07-2007 11:54 PM

I make my own ice cream from scratch, and prefer throwing in some chopped up chocolate covered almonds. Yum.

MaverickZer0 01-08-2007 12:14 AM

Ice cream's best when you make it out of freshly-fallen snow, icing sugar, and whatever flavour you like in it. Mm, key lime.

Nate the Great 01-08-2007 12:50 AM

Icing sugar? Do you mean powdered/confectionary sugar?

I can enjoy a good dish of vanilla or chocolate ice cream now and then, but I really do love sherbert. Raspberry, lemon, lime, it's all good. Awesome in fact.

I'd like to relate a sad ice cream story. Years and years ago I found one of those flavor-of-the-month things that I really loved. Lemon sherbert, lemon syrup swirled in it, and little sour lemon candy crunch things (I'm a big fan of sour, especially lemon). Absolutely amazing, but it was pulled from the shelves after a few weeks. I think I only got like two of those quart boxes. I still sigh at the memory. I'll never get to eat ice cream that good again.

MaverickZer0 01-08-2007 01:07 AM

Up here, we call it 'icing sugar'. Or at least I do. But yes, that's the stuff. Makes great ice cream.

mudshark 01-08-2007 01:53 AM

Pecan & praline for me... with vanilla and chocolate syrup, please?

And what're wafers?

Derek 01-08-2007 03:47 AM

I finished the survey. I think I take issue with the wording of some of the statements.

Gatac 01-08-2007 05:25 AM

Derek: eMail me, then. I'd like your insight on that.

Gatac

Nate the Great 01-08-2007 06:58 AM

Yeah, I'm weird. The rest of my family enjoys chocolate sauce and such on their ice cream, but I'm really boring. The only thing I like in my bowl besides the ice cream itself is chopped peanuts.

Any wording is going to tick off somebody when it comes to religious questions.

Wafers are those things in between the peanut butter layers in a Kit Kat bar. Think of a very thin Rice Crispie waffle.

Anybody prefer soft serve/ice milk/Dairy Queen to ice cream?

Zeke 01-08-2007 07:30 AM

Gatac, did you let Joss Whedon write that last question?

MaverickZer0 01-08-2007 08:29 AM

Hey, not all Kit-Kats have peanut butter! I know, 'cause I can eat Kit-Kats mostly, and I'm not allergic to all of them. Most of them are just chocolate.

But yeah. Wafers are those things in the Kit-Kats. And sometimes they come in vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry in really big bags, and they're these brightly-colored (well, the strawberry's bright pink) cookie things with a little bit of filling in them and they're crunchy but really soft when you bite into them and they have this sort of grid pattern on them.

...I hate being in a descriptive mood.

Gatac 01-08-2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 71841)
Gatac, did you let Joss Whedon write that last question?

Other way 'round, I'm Joss Whedon's ghostwriter.

Gatac

mudshark 01-08-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability (Post 71839)
Anybody prefer soft serve/ice milk/Dairy Queen to ice cream?

Bleh. No.

Derek 01-08-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinite Improbability (Post 71839)
Any wording is going to tick off somebody when it comes to religious questions.

It doesn't "tick me off", it's just ambiguous. I answer one way on a technicality, even though I think it might be going against the spirit of the statement.

And I'm not sure of your email Gatac, so I'm answering here. This hopefully shouldn't be too controversial, everyone, if so, please ignore.

I don't think "Eventually, science will be able to explain everything." and "Eventually, we will be able to achieve full scientific knowledge" are the same thing. Science will never explain why we are here on earth, why you like ice cream, or why John Wilkes Booth killed Abraham Lincoln. I'd be surprised if anyone ever thought that, but that's how the question sounds to me, so I said "Disagree". Do I think it's possible that we may someday have full scientific knowledge? Sure.

"Both science and religion will lead to the same truths." I think correct science and correct religion will lead to the same truths. But there are many wrongheaded scientific ideas and many wrongheaded religions that don't lead there. So I chose neutral, when a differently worded statement might have made me agree.

Nate the Great 01-08-2007 04:18 PM

Oh, any fans of freeze-dried ice cream out there? My mom loves it. Personally I can worry it down and enjoy it to a point, but I'd rather have real ice cream sandwiches any day. Those things are great.

Derek: Science will never explain why we are here on earth, why you like ice cream, or why John Wilkes Booth killed Abraham Lincoln.

That's not science in the first place. That's religion, psychology, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

"Correct religion." There's a laser cannon I'd rather not be tied up in front of. Check please!

Gatac 01-08-2007 05:02 PM

Fair enough on both points, Derek. I should've specified. Your votes aren't wrong, you just answered the question as you understood it.

Also, what do you guys think of vanilla?

Gatac

mudshark 01-08-2007 08:39 PM

I'm just fine with vanilla.