The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   August 16 (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=494)

Zeke 08-17-2004 04:30 AM

August 16

Part 2 of the eTrektion saga is here: TJI #42, "Invited candidates for Trek position announced." By the way, should I keep calling it the eTrektion saga, or is that too crude and better kept a one-off joke?

Xeroc 08-17-2004 04:42 AM

Excellent Job Zeke!

My favorite parts:

Quote:

"The remaining invitations went to people who simply stand out in their fields. Peter Jackson. Kevin Smith. Hillary Clinton. Emeril. Stephen Hawking. Weston Smythe. Colin Powell. José Niger. Yamamura Sadako. Satan. Farmer McDonald. See, he's always out standing in his field... get it? Heh heh. Heh heh heh. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH-- yes.
Quote:

If anyone ignores that, there will be hell to pay. And they're rich, so they can pay it. Thank you."
Quote:

We at This Just In, having illegally (shhh) obtained ...
Quote:

Episode III: Revenge of the Actually Pretty Decent Title
Quote:

"They get the first crack at the voters. Of course, we still haven't decided who the voters are yet, but when we do, there will be hell to pay."
Crude Joke? It seems okay to me.

mudshark 08-17-2004 06:22 AM

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (All of it.)

Just one thing:
Quote:

"The remaining invitations went to people who simply stand out in their fields. Peter Jackson. Kevin Smith. Hillary Clinton. Emeril. Stephen Hawking. Weston Smythe. Colin Powell. José Niger. Yamamura Sadako. Satan. Farmer McDonald ...
No Martha Stewart? :twisted:

Alexia 08-17-2004 07:26 AM

I would do quotes but it is all funny so I wont bother :mrgreen: Crude? You haven't seen crude... :wink: I vote it stays :D

PointyHairedJedi 08-17-2004 11:06 AM

Heh.

Heheheh.

Heheheheheheh.

I am slightly disappointed by the lack of mention of Aaron Sorkin. Because knowing what a huge fan of TWW you are Zeke, I'm sure you could have had fun with that one. ;)

Derek 08-17-2004 11:39 AM

Quote:

We chose them based purely on their talents. Wait, talents aren't American currency, are they? Their money, anyway.
Heh.

Draknek 08-17-2004 12:37 PM

Quote:

"There are only two female characters on Enterprise, and once I killed them both, there wouldn't be any. That would get the feminists angry, especially me."
Quote:

"Larry and I were hoping to run," said filmmaker Andy Wachowski, "but the Wayans got our invite somehow, and they won't give it to us. It's too bad. We had this great idea for an episode where Archer fights an army of Will Smiths."
Heheh.

Kira 08-17-2004 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
I am slightly disappointed by the lack of mention of Aaron Sorkin. Because knowing what a huge fan of TWW you are Zeke, I'm sure you could have had fun with that one. ;)

Yeah, but then I would've had to kill him, so it's probably for the best.
Quote:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer producer Joss Whedon, who was easy to find because we were already in the Marvel Comics building
Is that a reference to JW possibly doing X3, or some other joke that's gone over my head?

PointyHairedJedi 08-17-2004 06:54 PM

He is working on an actual comic at the moment, though I forget which one. And this is aside from the Firefly comic that I've heard rumours of.

SCMoll 08-17-2004 07:19 PM

Re: August 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
By the way, should I keep calling it the eTrektion saga, or is that too crude and better kept a one-off joke?

Has anyone else Googled eTrektion? It's... erm, interesting.

The TJI main page seems to believe it's 2003 still.

PointyHairedJedi 08-17-2004 07:33 PM

I think that's going to be changed once Zeke gets TJI fully PHP'd, or so I understand.

Zeke 08-17-2004 08:13 PM

Quote:

It's tempting... but in all honesty, Jedi, I haven't watched enough TWW to even justify my bias against it, let alone make any good jokes about Sorkin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kira
Is that a reference to JW possibly doing X3, or some other joke that's gone over my head?

Whedon is currently writing a new X-Men comic called Astonishing X-Men; JMS has been writing Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel's cornerstone title, for a couple of years now. They're both pretty good if the issues I've read are any indication. An even bigger name in Marvel's pantheon is Kevin Smith -- he brilliantly relaunched Daredevil a few years ago and has a Spider-Man miniseries in progress. (He's also done a Green Arrow arc for DC.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCMoll
The TJI main page seems to believe it's 2003 still.

I've been expecting that bug report for a while, but I'm surprised no one mentioned how unbalanced the columns of this article were. (It's probably just because antodav didn't get here in time.) I uploaded in a rush last night and forgot to check the position of the column break. It's better now.

Quote:

I think that's going to be changed once Zeke gets TJI fully PHP'd, or so I understand.

Actually, I was just embarrassed that I only had two full articles in 2004. Now that I have more, I'll sequester the 2003s to their own page.

NAHTMMM 08-17-2004 10:11 PM

Quote:

George Lucas was an obvious choice given his experience with prequels.
Bwahaha! :twisted:

Quote:

Trek stole my concept whether they did or not
:mrgreen:

And the Whedon paragraph was very funny too :D

Zeke 08-18-2004 03:42 AM

The main TJI page is up to date now. By the way, does anyone remember who Weston Smythe is?

Kira 08-18-2004 04:03 AM

Nope, but www.fiveminute.net+%22Weston+Smythe%22&sourceid=op era&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8]Google does[/url].

mudshark 08-18-2004 06:12 AM

I had to look him up, too. Google is a wonderful thing. :D

Anonymous 08-18-2004 02:59 PM

Bit late but I think its awsome! Especialy as it mentions Matt & Trey! Shpadoinkle!

Opium 08-19-2004 02:23 AM

Quote:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer producer Joss Whedon, who was easy to find because we were already in the Marvel Comics building, appeared intrigued but decided he would have to decline. "There are only two female characters on Enterprise, and once I killed them both, there wouldn't be any. That would get the feminists angry, especially me."
Hehe, so true! Joss respects feminism just as much as *Joe Millionaire respects the rest of the world.

:wink:

*: originally said George Bush.

Zeke 08-19-2004 02:44 AM

I'm not sure whether you know my politics, Opie, but if you do, you know what a lefthanded compliment that is. ;)

Nobody joined what?

Kira 08-19-2004 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
I'm not sure whether you know my politics, Opie, but if you do, you know what a lefthanded compliment that is. ;)

Compliment? Sounds to me like he just zinged Bush. And how.