The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   It's a textbook case (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=985)

Chancellor Valium 02-26-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e of pi
Hmmmm. But what about page limits? Also, my old history teacher had a saying about essay lengths.

"An essay is like womens clothing. It needs to be long enough to cover everything, but short enough to keep things interesting."

My problem was always writing enough....

Lostoyannaya 03-09-2006 08:04 PM

I use padding. Shift + F7 in Microsoft Word brings up the thesaurus. You can find some really long words in there! ^^

~~Lostoyannaya

Sa'ar Chasm 03-09-2006 08:16 PM

I'm discovering the key to padding a thesis is whitespace and figures. I need to do more experiments so that I have more graphs to take up more space.

Unfortunately, thesis-writing has a high energy of activation and a lengthy induction time.

Lostoyannaya 03-09-2006 08:36 PM

Graphs? Thesis? o.o Okay, I was speaking of my English coursework...I hated writing science coursework...my teacher always told me I'd put the equipment and the graphs in the wrong places...^^. Then she left. I wonder if it was me...?

Good luck to all you padders out there.

~~Lostoyannaya :wink:

e of pi 03-09-2006 10:24 PM

I have the oppisite. Problem. Given a topic where I actually, have an opinion, I can't stop writting. I just keep typing, on and on, word after word, paragraph after paragraph, page after page....

PointyHairedJedi 03-09-2006 11:10 PM

That was always my downfall when it came to History examinations - I'd go on and on and on and on, and then the time would be up, and I'd only have gotten through a third of the questions. :oops:

Derek 03-09-2006 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostoyannaya
I use padding. Shift + F7 in Microsoft Word brings up the thesaurus. You can find some really long words in there!

Hopefully you use it well. I shudder to think of some of the papers I wrote back in my classes. I would try to use the thesaurus to reword my sentences, and what came out was incomprehensible.

Original sentence: George Washington was one of the great founders of our country.
After Thesuarus: George Washington was certain of the large begetters of our rural.

(And yes, I was tempted to say, "George Washington was certain of the large shapeshifters of our rural.")

Sa'ar Chasm 03-10-2006 05:39 AM

Quote:

Original sentence: George Washington was one of the great founders of our country.
After Thesuarus: George Washington was certain of the large begetters of our rural.
It reads like you used Google Translator.

Lostoyannaya 03-10-2006 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi
That was always my downfall when it came to History examinations - I'd go on and on and on and on, and then the time would be up, and I'd only have gotten through a third of the questions. :oops:

I'd love an exam like that! In our Law examination in January, we got two questions, each worth thirty marks, and an hour to answer the questions in. That sixty minutes for sixty marks, a mark a minute. And my damn pen kept breaking!

I'm suing Bic.

~~Lostoyannaya

e of pi 03-11-2006 01:46 AM

Heh.

Chancellor Valium 03-25-2006 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointyHairedJedi

Heh. I'd always write too little, and get to about 15 minutes before the end, then start writing like fury...