The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   the official "why I chose my forum name" thread (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=555)

Chancellor Valium 10-13-2004 07:09 PM

the official "why I chose my forum name" thread

Umm...I think it has something to do with the Phantom Menace - Supreme Chancellor Valorum - rather dull, so he could be - Supreme Chancellor Valium. Though I didn't do THAT conciously. the concious process was Time Lords. Have a Chancellor. Was doing something DW related, and needed a new pseudonym. Anyhoo. Time Lords are incredibly dull. So Chancellor Valium seemed kinda appropriate.

stripysox 10-13-2004 07:51 PM

I like all my screan names to match so I had to come up with osmething. Lack of imagination. The fact that I like socks. The fact that you can write it sTRIPysox. That last one being somewhat pathetic. I have thought about changing it, but that seems like too much bother.

Alexia 10-13-2004 08:09 PM

Ahhh, interesting question.

Um.

Well, I was going for a Voyager name, but I didn't want to go down the Janeway147232 route so I picked a really really minor character; so minor she was only talked about and seen in photos, ie: Neelix's favourite sister.

But I went and spelled it wrong! :lol: About 6 months after registering EVERYWHERE with the name Alexia, I read Jeri Taylors Pathways and found out it was spelled Alixia...but it was rather too late then :wink:

Anonymous 10-13-2004 09:53 PM

I was Alixia for a while, for the same reason. Its a cool name. If I have a little girl I may well call her that.

stripysox 10-13-2004 09:56 PM

Not that anyone realy neads to know this but that last post was me. I just forgot to log in. :roll: I'm sleepy.

Draknek 10-13-2004 09:57 PM

I've used Draknek for many years now, ever since needing a unique username on Battle.net. For some reason, appending numbers to something I'd thought of never occurred to me. This is good, because I have a username that is 99.99% guaranteed not to be already claimed, anywhere.

Anyway, I think the actual name came from thinking about dragons and cutting their heads off, and to do so, you'd cut through their neck.

Possibly. It's been a while.

Ginga 10-13-2004 10:04 PM

Fuyu Ginga is the name I've used everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Except Neopets. XP

It came into existance on a forum I don't even go to anymore... I decided to change my name, take out the numbers, and make it look cooler. So I sat there for a while... not thinking of anything.

Finally I said, "Hey... I was Sailor Galaxy when my friend and I wrote that Sailor Moon fanfic way back when... I could put galaxy somewhere in there..."

Then, "Hey, my favorite season's winter... I'll put winter in there..."

So then I had "Winter Galaxy". But that didn't sound cool enough.

I grabbed my Japanese/English dictionary and, you guessed it, translated that to Japanese.

And there you have it. "Fuyu Ginga" means "Winter Galaxy" in Japanese, and now you know the reasons why I chose it and use it eeeeverywhere.

Xeroc 10-13-2004 10:12 PM

Well, there's not a whole lot of story, really.

It sounds pretty cool.

There you have it. Happy? :D

Ginga 10-13-2004 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeroc

It sounds pretty cool.

It's because you like copying things and wanted to pay homage to Xerox without breaking any copyright laws.

Katy Jane 10-13-2004 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexia

Well, I was going for a Voyager name, but I didn't want to go down the Janeway147232 route so I picked a really really minor character; so minor she was only talked about and seen in photos, ie: Neelix's favourite sister.

But I went and spelled it wrong! :lol: About 6 months after registering EVERYWHERE with the name Alexia, I read Jeri Taylors Pathways and found out it was spelled Alixia...but it was rather too late then :wink:

I always wondered if that was what happened. :lol:

Contrary to popular belief my name has nothing to do with Kathryn Janeway. When I went to pick my user name for my Yahoo email adress years ago (*checks her Yahoo profile* Four years ago to be percise) I decided to be so unimaginitive as to use my own name. :shock: :wink: I didn't however want to use Katrina as it isn't a very common name, and Katie (which is how I use to spell it) seemed too boring. So i used my Grandmas spelling for my name, Katy. My Yahoo name is Katy_j2001 and in the fall of 01 i decided that the J should stand for something, but i didn't want to use my real middle name so i picked Jane, because my mom use to call me Lady Jane (Yes thats where my LJ name comes from too ;) ) And because of the long runing family joke that if it had been up to my dad he would have given me a boring name like jane. ;) So there you have it thats how i became Alexia's name sake even though i hadn't met her. ;)

Hotaru 10-13-2004 10:34 PM

I was told Hotaru means "Firefly" in Japanese. I thought it was cool. Little did I know it was a girls name.

Ginga 10-13-2004 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotaru
I was told Hotaru means "Firefly" in Japanese. I thought it was cool. Little did I know it was a girls name.

The first time I saw your name, I was like, "Oh, hey, a Sailor Saturn fan?" XD

Hotaru 10-13-2004 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuyu Ginga
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotaru

The first time I saw your name, I was like, "Oh, hey, a Sailor Saturn fan?" XD

I'm actually not a fan of Sailor Moon. However, I get that alot.

Xeroc 10-13-2004 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuyu Ginga
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeroc

It sounds pretty cool.

It's because you like copying things and wanted to pay homage to Xerox without breaking any copyright laws.

Actually, most of my ideas are quite orginal! :D

AKAArzosah 10-13-2004 11:49 PM

My name is actually the name of a dragon in a series of books I read. I first used the name here, but now it's spread to my hotmail address and various other sites i visit.

If you're wondering, the full name is Arzosah Sothey Lorezohaz.

Celeste 10-14-2004 02:35 PM

Dauna Celeste was my Role playing character, she was Bajoran, hence why I now go by Celeste. However I haven't played her in quite some time.

NeoMatrix 10-14-2004 05:30 PM

Do I really need to explain where I got my screenname from? If so, I got it from The Matrix, and NeoMatrix sounds cool together.

*cough*FBC*cough*

Zeke 10-14-2004 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeste
However I haven't played her in quite some time.

Of course not -- she's not a Trill. ;) (What is it with you and Trills, anyway? Are you just a Trill-seeker?)

Zeke is the nickname my grandpa gave me when I was a baby. He even gave me a shirt with "Zeke" on it. Years later, when I first posted online, I figured I could do worse than to use a name I already had. At first the name would vary depending on where I was posting (I was Curt Connors at a Spider-Man board, for example), but now I'm Zeke everywhere -- except on Usenet, where I just use my real name for whatever reason.

As for the now-rarely-seen "Commodore" part, that's from when everyone at Deltachat started picking ranks for themselves. I made a smug little post about how I didn't need a rank to inflate my ego, but I added that if someone thought of a good one, I'd use it. I forget who came up with Commodore -- Sab or Nan, maybe? -- but I loved it right away because of my years programming my Commodore 64. (And also because it meant I outranked almost everybody.) So there you go. I dropped the Commodore pretty quickly at 5MV because I thought it sounded a bit too dorky, but Zuke still uses it -- no amount of ego-inflation is too much for him.

Chancellor Valium 10-14-2004 06:44 PM

he's only posted thrice....which reminds me...what is it with the six over the 5MV logo on his avvy? And where is he at the moment (:P)?

Alexia 10-14-2004 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke
(What is it with you and Trills, anyway? Are you just a Trill-seeker?)

Oh boy... :wink:

Isn't the "6" a "The Sixth Minute" thing, like your LJ? Plus, being one number higher than 5 :wink: