The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   April 9 (ZZ5MV: T10 #101) (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1506)

Zeke 04-10-2008 07:09 AM

April 9 (ZZ5MV: T10 #101)

<p>...pation!
<p>Yes, I know Sa'ar already said it in the comment thread. What's your point? Anyway, the undeadening continues today with <a href="../top10/101.html">The Top 10 Signs That Your Girlfriend is a Zombie</a>. Zombies are a greater threat now than ever before, so this (my first "girlfriend" list in two years, by the way) may be useful.
<p>But that's a side trip. Time to get back to the serious business of restoring dead shows to a shambling mockery of life! Be here next time and leave your Gun Del Sol at home....
<p>(Sharp readers will notice that this list is number 101; even sharper ones will remember that there hasn't been a 100 yet. I have plans for that one, so I've skipped it for now.)

Nate the Great 04-10-2008 12:38 PM

PNQ: Why 28 days? That's a werewolf, not a zombie, right?

PNQ: A "shambling" walk? Sounds almost like a drink. "Yes, Bartender, I'll have two Black Russians, a White Ape, and a Shambling Walk." ;)

PNQ: Trellium-D? Isn't that the emotion uninhibitor that T'Pol got addicted to? What does that have to do with zombies?

Sa'ar Chasm 04-10-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

*cough* Unfortunate numbering coincidence.

Derek 04-10-2008 02:53 PM

Nice list. #4 could be read differently, I think.

Nate the Great 04-10-2008 03:34 PM

Ew, Derek. Such a dirty mind...

mudshark 04-10-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 76350)
Nice list. #4 could be read differently, I think.

^ You think?

Quote:

7. She's a fan of the Cranberries (you thought I'd say the Zombies, didn't you?)
"She's Not There" (, Colin.)

Zeke 04-10-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 76347)

PNQ: Trellium-D? Isn't that the emotion uninhibitor that T'Pol got addicted to? What does that have to do with zombies?

28 Days Later reference. As for Trellium-D, T'Pol used it in small amounts; large amounts turned a ship full of Vulcans into zombies in "Impulse".

I'm not opaque to the possible misreading of #4, but you really have to reach for it. I'm hoping enough people will recognize it as an Angel quote. (Lilah, S4 finale.)

mudshark, what are you talking about? She's here. She and I are "So Happy Together".

(^ not true)

Nate the Great 04-10-2008 07:12 PM

Uh, Z, not everyone watches Angel--

Mob: Heathen! Burn him!

(sooty cough) Ahem.

PointyHairedJedi 04-10-2008 07:21 PM

"You're so brains, you probably think this song is about brains".

Ahem. Anyway. Point of order, Mr Chairman - 28 Days Later featured exactly zero brain consumption, though it did feature a fallen over London Routemaster bus and Doctor Who being a bad guy.

Sa'ar Chasm 04-11-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Yes, I know Sa'ar already said it in the comment thread.
You should know better than to toss an opening like that at me and not expect me to take it.

Anyway, werewolves and the number 28 also reminded me of Constable Angua in Discworld, and things of a cyclic nature, or at least I assumed that's what Nate meant.

Nate the Great 04-11-2008 07:16 PM

I just meant 28 days=the time span between full moons. Whether or not that's what YOU meant, I'm not sure.

mudshark 04-12-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 76357)

mudshark, what are you talking about? She's here. She and I are "So Happy Together".

(^ not true)

Obscure reference. One of the biggest hits (#12 UK, August 1964) for The Zombies was "She's Not There". The singer was Colin Blunstone.

Yeah, it was a bit of a reach, but sometimes you just have to go with it.

(Santana recorded another version later, but it's harder to find a zombie tie-in for that one. And Happy Together gets you Turtles, so that won't fly.)

PointyHairedJedi 04-12-2008 03:41 PM

Flying turtles? Tsk, I didn't realise it was so late in the season already.

Jeeves*, fetch my rifle at once!

(*He's actually called William, but I don't let a little thing like that get in the way.)

Nate the Great 04-12-2008 07:04 PM

Muddy, if you call that a reach, you obviously don't recall the "that's soap, you wouldn't have smelled it before" joke from my Blood Oath fiver, as described in The Reference Explanation Thread.

PointyHairedJedi 04-12-2008 11:02 PM

Was it obvious, Nate? Was it really? :p

Oh, duck!

*BLA-BAM!*

*Thud*

Well, turtle actually, but it's dead now either way.

Nate the Great 04-12-2008 11:29 PM

There are entire realms of shades of gray between obvious and "a reach." I just think that the shade in question is closer to white than black, where white is "a direct reference" and black is "the only way these two things have anything in common is because some nut filed them both in adjoining brain cells in his warped mind."

mudshark 04-13-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 76369)
Muddy, if you call that a reach, you obviously don't recall the "that's soap, you wouldn't have smelled it before" joke from my Blood Oath fiver, as described in The Reference Explanation Thread.

You know, I thought I'd succeeded in forgetting it, but I'm clearly mistaken and will need to start over. Heigh-ho!

Nate the Great 04-14-2008 12:20 AM

Aw, and I work so hard on being unforgettable, too. (Now, if only I'd written the fiver for that episode, it would've been so cool!)

PointyHairedJedi 04-25-2008 09:24 AM

...Who are you again?

(Yes yes, I'm weak-willed, we've covered this already.)

Nate the Great 04-25-2008 11:37 AM

Lame...

PointyHairedJedi 04-25-2008 06:31 PM

The Nate calling the kettle black? :p

Nate the Great 04-25-2008 08:33 PM

I'm just saying that in my mind there's an "obvious-o-meter," if I can coin a phrase. The more obvious, the more painful it is to me. PHJ's joke was just about as obvious as you can get, hence I wince a bit.

As for PHJ's question, everybody has their own obvious-o-meter. His line was just in the red range on MY obvious-o-meter.