The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Amazing Things I Learned Today! (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1538)

Nate the Great 12-16-2020 04:46 AM

Alice Faye was married to Phil Harris!

I know Alice from her late '30s/early '40s films, and Phil Harris from his animation voice work later, not his earlier films. Not much overlap there if you're not a fan of radio variety shows.

Nate the Great 12-18-2020 12:56 AM

Today I learned that there are people who never heard of All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. That's not just amazing, it's sad and makes me feel old. There was a time when the poster was everywhere, I still have one and can see it from where I sit.

DrWho42 12-18-2020 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 82169)
Today I learned that there are people who never heard of All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. That's not just amazing, it's sad and makes me feel old. There was a time when the poster was everywhere, I still have one and can see it from where I sit.

i remember it was referenced in the santa claus conquers the martians episode of mystery science theater 3000

Nate the Great 12-19-2020 02:47 AM

Well, that's weird...

Nate the Great 01-07-2021 12:07 AM

In the MCU Hawkeye's wife is played by Linda Cardellini, who played Velma in the first two Scooby-Doo movies!

Nate the Great 01-24-2021 09:47 PM

The highest-grossing franchise of all time is Hello Kitty!

TATILT #2: Winnie the Pooh has outsold Pokemon for #2!
TATILT #3: Cars has made more money than Lord of the Rings!

Star Trek is down at #42. Only 10.6 billion as opposed to Star Wars' 63.7 billion.

Flying Gremlin 01-26-2021 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 82210)
Star Trek is down at #42. Only 10.6 billion as opposed to Star Wars' 63.7 billion.

"A tale of love, of loss, and the foresight to retain international merchandising rights..."

Nate the Great 01-28-2021 02:27 PM

Cloris Leachman only died yesterday!

She was 94. I thought she died years ago.

I remember her from various projects with Disney and the Muppets.

DrWho42 02-10-2021 10:39 PM

yesterday was the anniversary for the lost in space episode "war of the robots"!

source: file 770

Nate the Great 03-23-2021 05:42 PM

Why blocks of butter are different in the western and eastern US.

Eastern sticks are longer and narrower than western sticks.

Truly this is an issue that demands rioting in the streets. :rolleyes:

While I have moved farther west, I still see "eastern" sticks of butter. The discovery that amazed me is the existence of half sticks of butter.

Of course when I was a young'n we didn't have money for such highfalutin' extravagances like butter instead of margarine. Butter was for special occasions, particularly to put on fresh corn on the cob.

How many of you know of the pink margarine debacle?

Nate the Great 04-19-2021 04:21 PM

As a child I was a fan of the Encyclopedia Brown mystery books. Today I was amazed to learn that the series continued until 2012.

Nate the Great 05-02-2021 07:56 PM

In the Rudolph TV special, Hermey has blond hair, we all know this. But today I saw that he doesn't have pointed elf ears either, he has normal human ones! Is that why he doesn't like to make toys, he's not actually an elf? Mind blown.

Nate the Great 05-19-2021 04:30 PM

I already knew about "impossible" assemblies of sticks and strings that use tension in the right directions to make seemlingly impossible "levitating" structures, but today I learned the word "tensegrity" and that Buckminster Fuller coined the term. You remember Fuller from his work on Buckyballs, of course.

Nate the Great 05-22-2021 02:46 AM

The name for the group of self-checkouts with one manned station is a "bullpen."

Nate the Great 05-22-2021 02:23 PM

Peanuts once made a Harry Potter reference!

Nate the Great 05-24-2021 02:58 AM

Tori Bellaci and Grant Imahara worked on special effects for Van Helsing!

Van Helsing is a guity pleasure of mine. It's not a great movie by any definition, but it's a fun movie.

NAHTMMM 07-04-2021 05:39 AM

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/...-egg-problems/

There is code in Windows 95 specifically added to avoid a Sim City bug.

Nate the Great 07-22-2021 12:08 AM

People modify their shoes to better play hacky sack!

I'm not nearly flexible enough to play the game, but my brother enjoyed it in our youth. When a group does it it's really impressive.

I miss '90s fads sometimes.

Nate the Great 07-28-2021 03:07 PM

As a math fan I've heard of Paul Erdos, but today I learned that his last name isn't actually pronounced "Err-dose", it's "Air-dish."

Nate the Great 08-01-2021 02:56 AM

One of my favorite DS9 episodes is "The Sound of Her Voice", and the amazing thing that I learned today is that the Olympia has never been assigned a starship class, even in the expanded universe.

Memory Alpha says that the wreckage reuses parts of the exploded Enterprise from Search for Spock. However, it seems unlikely that the Olympia was meant to be refit Constitution-class (I still like to call this the Enterprise-class from Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise, but it's hardly canon).

The only Constitution-class we see in the 24th century is a wrecked hull at Wolf 359. The image of the wrecked Olympia reminds me of the Oberth class, but I can't see such a small ship being sent outside the Federation for eight years. Maybe it's meant to be Excelsior-class, who knows...