The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   the offical "how I found 5MV" thread (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=549)

Katy Jane 10-08-2004 01:55 AM

the offical "how I found 5MV" thread

Ok, I'll start. I started watching startrek: voyager during the summer of 2000. but it wasn't until the fall of '01 that i discovered that there was all sorts of startrek stuff on the internet. :D It was while digging for enterprise spoilers that i found Trek Today. I started reading the enterprise fivers there, then onday i noticed this link two five minute Voyager needless to say i was intreaged. ;) I clicked it, and i've been visiting the site neary daily since. I read a bunch of the fivers and then requested my own. :D It wasn't untill the fall of 02 that i finaly registered at the forums.

Sa'ar Chasm 10-08-2004 02:13 AM

Since Zeke mentioned me by name in the other thread, I should probably contribute here.

In the summer of 2002, I had a coop job in Vancouver that involved a night shift. My sleep schedule was far out of sync with the rest of my social circle, which meant my weekends were rather lonely (there is buggerall to do at 4AM, even in a major city like Vancouver). During one of my frequent webcrawls, I came across Jim's Delta Blues page for some reason or another. Or was it TrekBBS? I don't recall. Either way, I followed links to 5MV and whiled away the hours reading the archives until the sky lightened and it was time to go to sleep. Eventually I discovered that new stuff was being posted as well, and started following the updates. I finally registered in the fora (call me snooty) that December (the "December before last" in my sig), and had my first fiver written and published by March 2003.

And I've been making a nuisance of myself ever since.

Zeke 10-08-2004 02:32 AM

I didn't find 5MV. I did found it, though. :D

Hotaru 10-08-2004 02:56 AM

I found 5MV a LONG time ago. I was doing what I did (and still do) a lot, just randomly typing stuff into Google. I typed "Star Trek Voyager", and lo and behold the first hit was 5MV. I bookmarked it and read every single fiver in a couple hours. It was an even longer time before I registered in the forums, and even longer before I actually posted.

That's how I found my way here. Pretty simple.

Nan 10-08-2004 03:59 AM

I frankly don't remember. I've always been here. ;)

Ginga 10-08-2004 05:28 AM

I think I came across it through a Google search or something like that. I read a bunch of fivers, laughed my freaking head off, and eventually said, "Oh, hey. They have a forum. *joins*". Then I waited a month because of the weird registration problems, and just as I had given up, I got a confirmation e-mail. :P

And, ehm. That's that, I guess.

NeoMatrix 10-08-2004 07:17 AM

I got bored one day and started searching for Voyager Icons for my Livejournal. Instead, I found this site while doing a search. Yes, I have had a livejournal account well before getting an account here.

Draknek 10-08-2004 08:24 AM

A friend of a friend gave me the URL to VVS8, just in passing. It was a complete non-event.

From there, I noticed these weird links from the episode list. What on earth was a "fiver"?

The rest, as they say, is capable of being modelled from the initial conditions.

Derek 10-08-2004 11:59 AM

Being a computer nerd, I've kept an eye on what gets posted on http://slashdot.org since '97 (when I first installed Linux on my computer). At one point, they posted a link to http://trektoday.com with spoilers about Nemesis and I followed it, noticed some Enterprise parodies, and thought they were hilarious.

One day, I clicked the link at the bottom of the TrekToday fivers, found myself at 5MV, and lurked for a few months. I decided I wanted to try writing a fiver, so I wrote one of Generations, and then sent it to Zeke saying that he could publish it if he liked it. Seems he did.

Celeste 10-08-2004 05:29 PM

I've already said part of my story in the other post but i'll tell the full one here.

You can thank Uncle Jim for bringing me here, his emmensly detailed reviews of Voyager episodes were hilarious for me to read while I was at work or just bored at home. (The Board at Work fivers would come out of this fact.) Jim would link to the 5MV site and I one day happend to click on it. Finding them hilarious I posted to guest book and shared the site with all my friends in my Role Playing group. Soon afterwards the first forum was created and I quickly signed up, leaving a post for Zeke telling him how much I enjoyed his fivers and how i'd shared them with my whole Org. He found the website for that org and came on IRC to visit our chatroom, thanking me for what i'd said. After that I became entwined with the circle of friends here on the forums. I had the highest post count by far, only being surpassed by Saxamaphone late in the run of the forums. Sadly, when the first group of forums died all that information was lost and my post count never returned to what it was. I was also the first one to win a contest here at 5MV, getting to have the Voyager fiver 'Revulsion' done by Zeke. (Only took him 6 months to do it! :P)

NAHTMMM 10-08-2004 05:43 PM

It was the summer of...I guess 2002. Yes, 2002. Had gotten a home dial-up connection and was surfing the web and came across the ST humor links page at about.com. 5MV was listed there and I looked at it and was very amused :D. Didn't even think of looking at the forums link until some point after we got a real conn--er, until after we got a DSL connection though--it was hard enough loading up pages that actually stayed the same. With that in mind, reloading the same page every so often when there were hundreds of other sites that might or might be interesting seemed too pointless.

Anonymous 10-08-2004 08:17 PM

Like, Nan, I've always been here. I found it the summer it started at Deltablues Deltachat because Zeke thought it would be fun to share with us. That was all the summer my commodore went AWOL. ;) lol That was 2001, no 2000. Wait... DC started in Oct. '99 (Five years ago!) and the following summer was 2000... so yep 2000. I should have known because 2005 is 5MV's fifth anniversary. ;)

back to the topic: I've always been here. I didn't find it really... it found me in a shameless plug at Deltachat. :)

Chancellor Valium 10-08-2004 08:40 PM

Umm...in early August this year, I was searching for Star trek mirror, mirror -style fanfics online and came across a whole motherload of links on some random site.....looking through, I found 5MV. intrigued, I came, and read a few, and laughed. a couple of days/weeks later I made an account after posting as a guest a couple of times....erm, rather dull really.....

PointyHairedJedi 10-08-2004 10:32 PM

I can't remember how I came across 5MV originally. It must have been in mid-to-late 2000 sometime though. Thinking about it, it must have been through Google - I remember at some point searching for Star Trek parodies waay back when (I came across that lightbulb thing mentioned elsewhere, actually), but that might have been after I found 5MV. And not long after I joined the forums - first forums I ever joined, in fact. And I'm sure Zeke has just loved every minute of it. :D

Celeste, I remember that postcount thing - for a long while it truly was unassailable. Though of course everyone's shot right up when Topic Title was born...

MaverickZer0 10-08-2004 10:46 PM

Okay, my finding this palce is the weirdest one of all.

A while back, I was flipping through Fanfiction.net (Wait! bear with me.) and I stumbled across something called Sixth Voyager. It was funny, so I followed he site link and read some of that.

There were things called Sixth-Minute Fifth Voyager and Five Minute Sixth Voyager linked to on the front page, so I looked at those. Then it linked to Five Minute Fifth Voyager (an exosite now on the front page) and there there was a link to 5MV.

I went to VVS8 from here, then came here when the forums there suffocated.

In all honesty, every single site I frequent has been a continuation of the one before it in some way, even combining or skipping interests, from Pokemon (yes, I still like it) to Voager and to Mega Man. It was actually the MM fivers which got me hooked and made me say "Hey, are they still making any of those games?" hence Battle Network.

My latest frequented site is "Bob and George: The Sprite Comic". You don't even want to know how I got there, but it sometimes makes me wonder where I'll end up next.

One more thing: believe it or not, when I originally saw the commercials for Mega Man Battle Network 3 Blue and White, I thought they were a) a Pokemon ripoff and b) I had no idea how long Mega Man had been around.
Just an interesting fact no one who knows me would ever believe.

Xeroc 10-08-2004 11:48 PM

I'm not entirely sure where I found this site, you could say it kind of found me...

I originally began visiting here in middle 2002 but didn't come very often. Recently, (early 2004) I began coming more and more often, reading more and more fivers. Eventually I decided to join the fora (I just like it better than forums, it has a kind of ring to it, not unlike a torus) and I also came to the IRC concurrently, these fora were not my first, and actually I've been a moderator at others, but it was my first entrance into IRC.

Eventually, I'll write some fivers, as soon as I'm done with my work, writing the IrcAssistant 3.0, publishing the logs, writing a new language...

...suffice it to say, I'm pretty busy.

stripysox 10-09-2004 12:13 AM

I started reading the ENT fivers at TrekNation and after a few weeks noticed the link at the bottom. I was like "Wow, this is awsome!" so I started surfing the site and gave the URL to everyone I could thinkof. Then I noticed they had forums and stuff so I lurked for a while then joined. :D

mudshark 10-09-2004 05:48 AM

I started checking out Trek sites in January 2002, initially trying to figure out how Orr, Daneeka, McWatt, et al got from Catch-22 into DS9's "Homefront/Paradise Lost". Went from there to working my way through all of Tim Lynch's and Jim Wright's reviews. Noticed the links for 5MV at the bottom of the latter, but didn't follow them right away. Finally read my first fiver in March or April, when it was posted at TrekNation, and spent the next two or three months reading all the fivers that existed at the time (not nearly as many as now, but still quite a few.) Started coming to the Forum (the old IkonBoard) to read the comments, and lurked for a bit before registering in July.

AKAArzosah 10-11-2004 04:57 AM

I was looking for Andromeda stuff, and my searches eventually came up with this site, and a very odd paragraph or two, so naturally i clicked to find out what the hell it was talking about. Best click i ever made.

sweetclover 10-11-2004 10:53 PM

There was a link to here in somebody's bio on Fanfiction.net. Yeah, not very interesting I guess, but from links here I discovered many other sites (a.k.a. bookmarked junk) as well. So that was cool. :)