The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fiver By Committee (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Vote or Die (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1383)

KillerGodMan 08-24-2007 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 74174)
By the way, you guys should read Beyond Star Trek by Lawrence M. Krauss. It's the sequel to The Physics of Star Trek, and has a chapter specifically devoted to the scientific inaccuracies of Independence Day. I personally find it amusing that he proves that if there really was a flying saucer THAT big and THAT close to Earth, it could do a great deal of damage just hovering there.

*adds to reading list*

Independence Day wasn't my vote (Jurassic Park was), but it's still a good movie

LtFielding 09-12-2007 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 74174)
By the way, you guys should read Beyond Star Trek by Lawrence M. Krauss. It's the sequel to The Physics of Star Trek, and has a chapter specifically devoted to the scientific inaccuracies of Independence Day. I personally find it amusing that he proves that if there really was a flying saucer THAT big and THAT close to Earth, it could do a great deal of damage just hovering there.

Ooooooooooooooohh.... physics. I voted for Jurassic Park, Independance Day, and Something else. I was hoping for Jurassic Park because I want to see a parody of a bad copy of a New york Times Bestseller. And why isn't there any five minute parody's of books?

Nate the Great 09-12-2007 04:54 AM

Um, loaded question. Moving on...

Zeke 09-12-2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtFielding (Post 74683)
And why isn't there any five minute parody's of books?

Well, it's more like there aren't any yet. I haven't yet had a compelling reason to expand into that particular medium (except once in an <a href="../tv/dizoon.html">Easter egg</a>). Books also tend to have much more story than TV episodes, which would lead to long fivers. Usually what I'd do instead is work with movie or TV adaptations; for instance, if I wanted to do a fiver of <i>The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe</i>, I'd use the movie as source material, since we already have a section for movies and it was a pretty faithful adaptation.

However, I do have a book fiver I'm toying with at the moment. And NAHTMMM has written a number of fivers of Trek novels, which he posts here at the forums.

(Speaking of the forums, welcome to them!)

Nate the Great 09-12-2007 08:08 PM

Yet. Ooohhhh. I can just see it now: a novel fiver hovering there on the horizon, just out of range of Disaster Area's public address system. Until Hotblack Desiato tunes up, of course. :)

Chancellor Valium 09-12-2007 09:36 PM

I did want to do some parodies of Sherlock Holmes a while back...

Nate the Great 09-13-2007 01:06 AM

Oooohh...

I really would suggest that the FBC actually get underway and (I cannot stress this enough) you let Zeke post another one of my dusty, cobweb-covered fivers before you start asking for stuff. Pretty please?

NAHTMMM 10-05-2007 03:02 AM

Hmm. Somehow, this last string of posts completely slipped my notice.

Re: novel fivers
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 74689)
Books also tend to have much more story than TV episodes, which would lead to long fivers.

Especially when I'm writing them. :rolleyes:

Quote:

And NAHTMMM has written a number of fivers of Trek novels, which he posts here at the forums.
I've only got three up so far, but the links to them and a reasonably up-to-date list of drafts are on my website at . . . um, Angelfire, which seems to be down at the moment . . . . Anyway, they're all in the Misc forum and rather easily found by looking at a list of threads I've started. The page on my site should be accessible from the link in my sig.

On a related note: Zeke, is the PM system broken or working?

Re: 5BC:

I've got a draft of various scenes that probably works out to a page or so in length. It's been very amusing, as I've been seeing how many references to a certain franchise (whatever franchise you're thinking of, you're wrong. Unless, maybe, you're KJ) I can fit in naturally ( answer: so far, a lot :D ). Plus, of course, there's all the brilliantly incisive humor that long-time fans have come to expect to see from <s>me</s> other people.

Nate the Great 10-08-2007 05:55 AM

I love that word, "tend." 'Cause basically that means "on the average," which means "there are books out there that'd need a tenner, or more." The classic novel Centennial (or at least classic to me) comes to mind. In many ways it's the biography of a town itself, covering millions of years. Dozens of main characters. You couldn't do it justice with just a fiver. Not possible.

Wowbagger 10-15-2007 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 74689)
However, I do have a book fiver I'm toying with at the moment. And NAHTMMM has written a number of fivers of Trek novels, which he posts here at the forums.

Look, I'm sorry--I don't frequent these forums and I miss things.

WHERE are these novel fivers?

Nate the Great 10-15-2007 07:45 AM

Amazing how such a topic evolved out of the comver thread.

mudshark 10-15-2007 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wowbagger (Post 74936)
Look, I'm sorry--I don't frequent these forums and I miss things.

WHERE are these novel fivers?

In the link provided by NAH a couple of posts up (or in this one, which is the same) look for the ones which say "Novel Fiver" in the thread title -- there are three of these, as far as I can tell, numbered Second, Third and 4th -- and I believe that "War Drums (Next Gen) unofficial book "eighter" - Um, Peace Cymbals?" is actually the first one.

Wowbagger 10-15-2007 09:42 PM

What I've learned:

Lesson 1: You are a moron if you don't read all the posts in the thread.
Lesson 2: You are a moron if you comment on something and forget that it ever existed.

NAHTMMM 10-16-2007 12:05 AM

^ What makes you think that? Did a "MORON" stamp magically appear on your forehead or something? ;)

Anyway, has anyone else been jotting down scenes or jokes for this collaboration?

Wowbagger 10-16-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAHTMMM (Post 74949)
^ What makes you think that? Did a "MORON" stamp magically appear on your forehead or something? ;)

Actually, yes.

And, because it's the Internet, there's nothing you can say to that. Nothing!

Nate the Great 10-17-2007 12:44 AM

To return to the purported topic of this thread, hasn't the purpose been served? Isn't it time for a Block One thread yet?

NAHTMMM 10-17-2007 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wowbagger (Post 74958)
Actually, yes.

And, because it's the Internet, there's nothing you can say to that. Nothing!

*tries it* . . . Ooo, apparently you're right! That's weird. o_O

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 74961)
To return to the purported topic of this thread, hasn't the purpose been served? Isn't it time for a Block One thread yet?

Yes, the purpose has been served. Unfortunately, it went long for a fault, and before anyone could corral it for another try a dog jumped up and grabbed it and ran off. We're still trying to run the silly mutt down. ;)

mudshark 10-18-2007 02:45 AM

^ Good answer. :D

Wowbagger 10-18-2007 07:21 PM

So, uh... I have no idea what NAHTTTM just said, so can I just go start a Block 1 thread? Or is that Zekey-Booky-Doo's job?

Nate the Great 10-19-2007 12:59 AM

It's Zeke's job. First we need the official newspost.