The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Star Trek: Lower Decks Discussion (SPOILERS) (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1713)

Flying Gremlin 08-09-2020 04:38 AM

Star Trek: Lower Decks Discussion (SPOILERS)

So this premiered.

Thoughts?

Nate the Great 08-14-2020 05:37 PM

I'm not watching, but if even half of what Doomcock is saying about it is true, I already know enough to never watch.

NAHTMMM 08-16-2020 01:25 PM

It's much better than Family Guy, but that's not saying much. Not good enough to overcome the crass language for me.

Nate the Great 08-17-2020 01:13 PM

CBS put the first episode on YouTube. I won't watch it, but if any of you feel like some torture...

evay 08-25-2020 12:16 AM

I'm torn. The first episode was... okay. The second and third were a bit better. The crassness is a lot — the show feels like a parody of itself. There's so much humor to be explored without the drunkenness and assholishness. I don't understand why that's the direction they chose to go.

Flying Gremlin 08-28-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evay (Post 82038)
I don't understand why that's the direction they chose to go.

I think they're going in a Rick and Morty-type direction. Weird choice, but hey it's funny.

The joke at the end of episode three is probably the best of the whole series so far.

Episode four was pretty all right. Punishing someone by promoting them is a clever premise.

Nate the Great 09-03-2020 08:52 PM

Doomcock/Overlord DVD Star Trek Playlist

Lower Decks and Picard reviews, etc.

Flying Gremlin 09-05-2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate the Great (Post 82047)
Doomcock/Overlord DVD Star Trek Playlist

Lower Decks and Picard reviews, etc.

Just the titles of those videos turned me off of watching them.

NAHTMMM 09-06-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evay (Post 82038)
I'm torn. The first episode was... okay. The second and third were a bit better. The crassness is a lot — the show feels like a parody of itself. There's so much humor to be explored without the drunkenness and assholishness. I don't understand why that's the direction they chose to go.

Pretty sure the guy behind the show is the . . . individual responsible for Family Guy.

Really all you need to know there.

Nate the Great 09-09-2020 03:12 AM

Doomcock celebrates Star Trek Day by talking about what Star Trek means to him.

He turns down the bile and sarcasm for this one, although it's still there. Like I said, I don't agree with everything he says or how he chooses to say it, but I think he deserves a chance. At least he has reasons for his bile and explains why things don't work. He doesn't resort to "it's different from what I want it to be, therefore it's awful!" I know that eventually I'll have to do an episode-by-episode autopsy of Enterprise, but I hope to be as logical when I get to it.

As for his video titles, chalk that up to having to work within the YouTube algorithm to get views. As Agent K put it, "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." I didn't even enjoy Men in Black that much and I remember that line. It's sad when you think about it.

Flying Gremlin 10-17-2020 06:35 AM

All right, so the season ended, and I honestly have to say they did a great job at the end. Also, seeing Riker and Troi on the Titan was a treat.

evay 10-19-2020 11:59 AM

yes, this definitely improved as the season went along, and the last two hit it out of the park. For me it got better because they were focusing more on Trek-related humor and multiple Easter eggs than "hurr hurr bodily fluids are funny."

So far as I can find out, Seth MacFarlane has nothing to do with Lower Decks; he's busy with The Orville.

Flying Gremlin 10-21-2020 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAHTMMM (Post 82054)
Pretty sure the guy behind the show is the . . . individual responsible for Family Guy.

This is the showrunner. As you can see, he's never touched Family Guy or any other Seth MacFarlane affiliated work... other than Star Trek, since Seth himself was an engineer in ENT for two episodes.

Give it a chance, and if you get past the first few episodes it's really good - unfortunately some of the later stuff doesn't make much sense unless you watch the first four episodes - considering how Mariner deconstructs herself in the second-to-last episode while also paying homage to Star Trek VI is quite entertaining.