The Five-Minute Forums

The Five-Minute Forums (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/index.php)
-   Science Fiction (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Trek quote game (http://www.fiveminute.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1615)

Zeke 08-09-2012 08:10 AM

Trip, then. Sounds like it would be to Reed; let's try "Shuttlepod One" and "United".

evay 08-09-2012 11:46 AM

Yes to Trip. Not Mal and not either of those eps.

evay 08-13-2012 05:25 PM

...wow, seriously? This is one of Trip's best-known quotes. Or maybe I'm just looking at it with Tuckerite goggles. Do we want to pass and try a new one?

Zeke 08-13-2012 10:54 PM

No, I was just seeing if anyone else would jump in before embarrassing myself further. Let's try "Unexpected" and... oh! How about "Singularity"?

evay 08-14-2012 01:45 PM

No and no. I'll even give you two hints: it was second season, and Trip took no damage.

Zeke 08-15-2012 04:30 AM

Rats, I really thought I was onto something with "Singularity". (Fun fact: I've had one scene of that fiver written for about ten years.) Now then, I happen to know a handy-dandy guide to which episodes Trip took damage in and which he didn't, and it's not cheating if I just look at the star ratings... let's try "First Flight" and "Cease Fire".

evay 08-15-2012 12:42 PM

I won't drag this out any more; it's "Cease Fire."

[Captain's mess]

TUCKER: (watching his glass vibrating on the table) I don't like pushing the engines this hard. The injectors are running at a hundred and ten percent.
T'POL: They're rated for one hundred and twenty.
TUCKER: And my underwear is flame-retardant. That doesn't mean I'm going to light myself on fire to prove it.

Z, you're up.

Zeke 08-16-2012 08:57 AM

In what way were you able to "drag this out any more"? I got it right. :)

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for who we really are."

Nate the Great 08-16-2012 11:05 AM

Talk about an easy one. Picard in "Encounter at Farpoint."

"For you see, he was afraid and you weren't."

evay 08-16-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 79250)
In what way were you able to "drag this out any more"? I got it right.:)

You did, but you offered two choices, and I could have said "Pick one." :)

The quote is from one of my favorite TOS eps, "The Enemy Within." Bones to "calm but weak" Kirk about "crazy command" Kirk. My turn again:

"Between impulse and action there is an entire realm of good taste begging for your acquaintance."

Zeke 08-17-2012 08:11 AM

Ah, that's a classic, but I don't remember the details. Sounds like Doc talking to Seven. "Someone to Watch Over Me"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by evay (Post 79259)
You did, but you offered two choices, and I could have said "Pick one." :)

Yep, sure could've. And I could then have pointed you to rule #3 in the first post.

evay 08-17-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 79262)
Ah, that's a classic, but I don't remember the details. Sounds like Doc talking to Seven. "Someone to Watch Over Me"?

Right characters, wrong episode.

ETA: I am going to be offline for a week, so rather than leave everyone in the lurch, I'll just tell you it's from "One" and give Zeke the win.

Zeke 08-22-2012 08:29 PM

Oops, I didn't see evay's edit. This forum does need a poke feature.

"My mother always said, 'If you try to combine talking and eating, you'll end up doing neither very well.' "

Sa'ar Chasm 08-22-2012 09:58 PM

That's O'Brien from the episode where Garak isn't on the station to have lunch with Bashir. I think it's the one where Garak and Odo end up on the Tal Shiar/Obsidian Order Doomed Taskforce Of Doom. What the hell was that called?

Let's say Crossing the Rubicon.

Zeke 08-23-2012 04:39 AM

You're so close I have to wonder if you're doing it on purpose. "The Die is Cast."

Sa'ar Chasm 08-23-2012 06:15 AM

It was one of those two, and I couldn't remember which one came first (I think Caesar declared the die was cast once he got to the other side, so he'd have to be in the process of crossing the Rubicon first).

Does that count as a correct guess, since you've given it away?

Edit: Actually, turns out I wasn't as right as I thought it was. For some reason I thought the two parters were called The Die Is Cast and Crossing the Rubicon (which are thematically linked), but it turns out there is no episode of DS9 called CtR (that's an episode of Beast Wars). The correct title of the other episode is Improbable Cause.

Zeke 08-23-2012 09:29 PM

Oh, it counts as a win. You were close enough.

Sa'ar Chasm 08-23-2012 10:44 PM

"So, we got a distress call from...ourselves?"

Nate the Great 08-23-2012 11:45 PM

The episode is "Cause and Effect", but I don't know the speaker.

Sa'ar Chasm 08-24-2012 01:08 AM

That's because I screwed up the quote.
"But we picked up the distress call before she sent the hail."

An episode I saw once when it was first broadcast, and haven't seen since.