View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 10:48 PM
Doctoral candidate
Staff

Send a message via AIM to Scooter

[color=#000000ost_uid0]My theory is that attacking Earth always falls to the Borg cube that draws short straw and gets Alpha Quadrant duty. It's the Borg equivalent of "F Troop."

Seriously though, Marc's right. Since the Borg Queen shows that the Borg retain knowledge of past events despite detruction of their kamikaze cubes, why don't they try something different, anyway?

I hate to keep bringing up "Doctor Who," but they faced a similar problem when the Doctor incurred the enmity of a immensely powerful godlike being called the Black Guardian. The BG was clearly capable of squashing the Doctor like a bug, which quickly painted the writers into a corner. So on the BG's next appearance, he bribes an alien kid (who's posing as a British schoolboy) to become the Doctor's companion and try to kill him. When the kid asks him why he doesn't just kill the Doctor himself, the BG says, "I must not be seen to be involved in this." Oh, really?

You know, I know that there were the Nitpicker's Guides, but they focused on individual episodes. It would be fun to have a Discontuity Guide, which details all the ways that phenomena like the Borg changed, or, in this case, failed to change, as they recurred over the years.[/colorost_uid0]