View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 12:55 AM
You just activated his Trek card

Many people have complained that far too many alien races are treated as homogeneous so that writers don't have to worry about creating individual characterizations. And yet humans are presented as having many different cultural and religious beliefs. Blatant hypocrisy.

That's another reason why I like the novels so much. In the novels writers can get away with differing personalities and mindsets for the alien races. They can have entire planets of Klingon farmers who have no particular bloodlust for the Federation, but prefer to wage war against the elements and battle to make things grow. They can have Romulans who work in secret to aid Spock's dreams of reunification while still defending the accomplishments of Romulan culture. They can have mercenary humans working for Section 31 or along the lines of Vash. They can have races who prefer to spend their entire lives on their own planets or races who never ever want to set foot on solid ground.

This is what Star Trek is supposed to be about, right? New life and new civilizations. Not just big splashy loud action sequences!

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.