View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 08:38 AM
You just activated his Trek card

I apply higher standards to Trek 11, yes. We are far, FAR past the point where it should be a given that the opinions of Trekkies of all stripes (from casual to rabid fanatic) should be taken into consideration. I understand the desire for a wider viewerbase (look at the success of Trek 4), but studios of all kinds (film, television, gaming), need to get it through their heads that you need to respect your older fans AS you try to attract new ones, not DISCARD one fanbase in the vain hope that the new one is larger and more profitable.

You know what happens when you discard one fanbase to try to attract a larger one? A disaster, almost every time. One key reason why Pixar does so well is that it never insults the fans or tries to forcefeed them subpar media and treat it like the greatest thing ever. And say what you will about Apple, they know how to let their product line evolve without spitting in the face of everything that came before and try to pretend that it never happened.

They're having a new crew direct new actors on new sets in a new timeline. The sheer number of things that can go wrong with this scenario are Brobdingnagian. Furthermore, I really don't see anything in that script that require this to be the "Star Trek" universe, per se. Sure, we got characters, costumes, and ships that are vaguely familiar, but you could tweak everything and get a completely new setting very easily.

I'm of the opinion that if you're going to tell a Star Trek story, you should tell a Star Trek story. What is this story? A few shovelfuls of references tossed into a plot that has very little to do with what Star Trek is all about. What strange new worlds were explored? What new life or new civilizations were sought out? When did we have people going where no man has gone before?

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.