View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 11:11 PM
You just activated his Trek card

The Lion is still in his cage at Helen Newman Hall!

Okay, a little background is needed. In 2002 the pranksters at All Too Flat noticed an empty and unlocked speaker cage at their college basketball court. They went to Kmart and bought a stuffed lion to stick into the cage. They also printed up a few posters to put under the cage, the joke being along the lines of a single animal zoo.

It took eight months for the school to find the card with their website on it, because it took that long for them to need to open the cage (to put in a new speaker). With permission from the All Too Flat crew they moved it to the empty cage at the other end of the court. They updated their site every few months for awhile to confirm that the lion was still there, but eventually they graduated, got married, and abandoned the site.

Fast Forward to 2014. Someone read about it and asked on Reddit whether it was still there. Someone confirmed that it was and posted a new picture.

It was a nice thing to discover. I was a major follower of All Too Flat ten years ago when they were still active and still make regular pilgrimages to their corner of the Net. I have mentioned them before, but I'll just repost the Pi Song. YouTube video and lyrics with guitar tabs.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.