View Single Post
Old 05-09-2024, 04:35 PM
You just activated his Trek card

PNQ: If Paramount wanted to do a Kelvin-style reboot of TNG, what kind of plot could they use?

As I think about this question, one problem that comes to mind immediately is that the TNG crew need a lot more setup than the TOS crew. Let's face it, the TOS crew fit quite neatly into archetypes and the TNG crew doesn't. You can watch Wrath of Khan without seeing any other Trek because it doesn't take a long time to explain who these people are. You can't really do that with the TNG crew. Generations needed ample setup from the show to work (and you'll note that Kirk and company really didn't), First Contact needed ample setup from not only TNG but TOS as well, Insurrection was just a supersized episode of the show so it required knowledge of the show, and Nemesis...well, Nemesis tried too hard to get rid of the nuance from the show to be more independent and failed miserably.

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.