View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 01:29 AM
You just activated his Trek card

First look trailer.

For the purposes of this post alone, no comparison to any other Trek show allowed.

1. Forcing a fellow officer to trudge through a desert for no particular reason is cruel. It almost seems belittling, like the fellow officer deserves no more respect than a cadet. Why are we supposed to like this captain? And remember, a lot of the ratings depend on us liking the captain.
2. "We have engaged the Klingons." Well, that's just bad grammar. We have engaged a Klingon ship/fleet, we have engaged with Klingon forces, etc.
3. The notion of "screw diplomacy, we have to fight" is simply a bad lesson to introduce the audience to a conflict. We know nothing about these Klingons, what they've done, or whether or not the Discovery is authorized to initiate hostilities. It does seem a bit like pandering: "Don't worry, viewers at home, there's going to be a lot of action!"
4. An alien that can sense the coming of death. Well, that makes for good clickbait for one episode, but I hope he's not a regular, because it'll make problems later on. Either he's going to be sensing deaths with complete accuracy, robbing us of drama, or he can't sense deaths with complete accuracy, which means the viewer is asking why he's there taking up screentime. There's only so many times a viewer will accept that kind of ooga-booga, only for the supposedly doomed person to not die.
5. It was nice to hear the fanfare. (Okay, that was a comparison, but at least it's a positive one for a change.)

mudshark: I don't expect Nate to make sense, really -- it's just a bad idea.

Sa'ar Chasm on the 5M.net forum: Sit back, relax, and revel in the insanity.

Adam Savage: I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Crow T. Robot: Oh, stop pretending there's a plot. Don't cheapen yourself further.