View Single Post
Old 02-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Calvinist

Send a message via AIM to Opium Send a message via MSN to Opium Send a message via Yahoo to Opium

I have to say...Ginga does have a point, even if it a generalization.

I think it is somehow a life-imitating-art, art-imitating-life catch-22 phenomenon.

Back in the day, ie, 1999, viewers were given a taste of so-called reality TV. Some good shows were created- The Mole, The Amazing Race, Survivor. Fun, interesting, shows. People watched them. The networks realized how cheap reality TV is compared to dramas. They produced more reality TV shows; viewers still watched. This continued until today...and now this. Good TV being harder to find.

At least there are still some beacons of hope...L&0:SVU and CSI are examples. And don't forget PBS...it has some great stuff. But Enterprise's cancellation is another point in the declining land of TV. Even the original L&O is just a " very good" show now (when it used to be excellent). I think The Simpon's are a good representation of the problem.

Can I suggest that perhaps reality TV has replaced sci-fi in a way as the preferred "guility-pleasure" tv shows the networks produce? And that slowly "reality tv" is replacing other genres too? :?
Please vote Morphine! (Thanks, Zeke!)
Needing more sleep since before 2003